Question and Answer with Ryan O'Malley

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Question and Answer with Ryan O'Malley

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:12 am

Ryan O'Malley, Pitcher for the 2005 Southern League First Half Champion West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx, has graciously agreed to answer questions from posters on NSBB! If you would like to send a comment to Ryan, or if you would like to ask Ryan a question, feel free to post it here. I will allow the questions/comments to be posted until August 5th at midnight. Once Ryan has had an opportunity to answer them, the responses will be posted.

From the Jaxx website:
Quote:
Acquired:
Signed as free agent in 2002

Bio:
2000: Was a junior college all-American selection at Lincoln Land

This session will be coordinated as in accordance with The NSBB Q & A Guidelines

Thank you to Ryan for taking the time to interact with us on such an up close and personal level! I encourage everyone to visit the official website of the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx. In addition, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful community!

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Jul 30, 2005 8:30 am

Thanks Ryan for fielding our questions.

You have been Mr. Everything for the Cubs minor league system. You have been in short relief, long relief, and seemingly spot start at every level. Do you have a preference on starting vs. coming out of the pen? Which one do you see yourself doing in the majors?

Also, can you give us a quick rundown on your stuff? Pitches you throw, velocity, etc?

Jon
Hall of Fame

Postby Jon » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:38 pm

Mr. O'Malley-

What did you get out of your return to AAA earlier this year? Were you able to learn a little more by facing some more advanced hitters or was it mostly a personal test for you? What is it like to work with a new pitching coach in the middle of the season? Were there any noticeable differences between what coach Dunn suggested with you and coach Kranitz or was it a smooth transition?

Thanks!

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:52 pm

Can you describe your signing process? You were signed right after the draft & being a non-drafted senior, did the Cubs area scout mention the possibility of signing as a FA as well as did you have a choice of possible teams to sign with? I'm just wondering if being an Illinois native as well as a Cubs fan factored in your decision.

Laura
Superstar

Postby Laura » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:22 pm

You pitched for Boise in short-season-A after you were signed in '02. What was the transition from college ball to pro-ball like for you? What was the biggest surprise?

Thanks!
I'm only here for the Dongs.

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:49 pm

thanks for taking our questions, ryan.

i know that you went to springfield sacred heart-griffin...did you play football while in high school? i know they have quite the tradition there...you guys beat us (canton) two years a row in the 4A playoffs in the late 90's.

good luck the rest of the season and thanks again.

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:47 pm

Many players who have come through the Jaxx organization leave with a great respect and appreciation for coach Alan Dunn. How has coach Dunn helped you in your development since being with the Jaxx?

Return to “Chat Schedule/Questions for Guests”