March 2007: Q & A with Mick Gillispie

Chris
Superstar

March 2007: Q & A with Mick Gillispie

Postby Chris » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:57 pm

Mick Gillispie, new play-by-play announcer for the Tennessee Smokies, has graciously agreed to answer some questions from everyone at NSBB!

From the Smokies:

The Tennessee Smokies have named Mick Gillispie as the radio play-by-play announcer on the Smokies Radio Network for the 2007 season. Gillispie, a native of Westminster, Maryland, joins the Smokies after two years with the Chattanooga Lookouts as their secondary radio announcer behind long time announcer Larry Ward. Mick will join the Smokies officially on March 15th.

Gillispie is anxious to get behind the Smokies microphone, and is especially excited about the new affiliation with the Chicago Cubs.

“They’re a great organization and a class act,” he said. “There are a lot of parallels between the Smokies and the Lookouts. To me it was important to get an opportunity with a team with a lot of the same consistency as far as character.”

Gillispie started his broadcasting career at WVUA radio in Tuscaloosa while attending The University of Alabama. Mick broadcasted the Tide’s baseball games and hosted Alabama’s pre-game football show. After graduation, he became the voice of the Salem Avalanche in the Class A Carolina League for one year before joining the Lookouts.

“We are excited to bring in Mick Gillespie as the new Smokies broadcaster,” said General Manager Brian Cox. “Mick knows the league well, and fits right in line with the caliber of play-by-play broadcasters we have had in recent years.”

This will be a great opportunity to get to know Mick before the start of the 2007 season. This session will be in accordance with the NSBB Q & A Guidelines. Thank you to Mick for taking the time to visit with us here at NSBB. In addition, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community!

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:21 pm

Mick,

Welcome! Thanks for agreeing to get to know our community of Cubs fanatics a little bit better. I really look forward to working together with the Smokies to get the word out about how great minor league baseball can be.

So that we can get to know you a little bit better, can you tell us a few things that you've seen while broadcasting minor league games:

- What's the craziest thing you've seen happen on the field?
- Who is the best player you've seen come through the teams you've broadcast for?
- What type of relationship do you have a chance to build with the players?
- Do you ride on the bus with the guys, or do you have to drive?

Thanks!

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks for taking the time to visit with us.

What's your favorite minor league city to visit?

Who was your favorite team and player growing up?

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:40 pm

I know you haven't been around the Cubs too much yet, but what are your thoughts as of now on some of the guys you'll be seeing this season - guys like Donnie Veal, Sean Gallagher, Jeff Samardzija, Brian Dopirak and Ryan Harvey?

brinoch
5-Time All-Star

Postby brinoch » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:13 pm

Welcome to our community! It's great to have you on board.

-- What attracted you to broadcasting?
-- How do you keep your game commentary fresh?
-- Do you have a signature home run call?

Thanks!

mhuber92211
All-Star

Postby mhuber92211 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Welcome to the Cub Fan Nation!

Has anyone ever Mistaken you for Jeremy Piven?
Congrats Chicago

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:05 pm

Welcome to the Cubs' organization.

As an opposing broadcaster, as you were in previous years, you probably have a different perspective than a team's own broadcaster. I'm curious which players that played for West Tenn when you were with Chattanooga impressed you the most? Also, do you think the Cubs' affiliate will receive more fan support in Sevierville than they did in Jackson?

I'll undoubtedly see a few Smokies games this year. I live less than an hour from the Carolina Mudcats' stadium, so I'll get to see some of the games played there.
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Laura
Superstar

Postby Laura » Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:41 pm

Welcome to NSBB!

How does a change in franchise affiliation affect your job? Will there be any changes in the day-to-day operations of the club?

Thanks for taking our questions! I'm looking forward to working in a trip to see the Smokies sometime this season. I hope you'll be able to participate in the discussions we have in the Minor Leagues Forum.
I'm only here for the Dongs.

Southpaw19
All-Star

Postby Southpaw19 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi Mick! Thanks for joining us on NSBB!

I've never been to a minor league ballpark. What would you recommend that a newcomer do or see at the Smokies ballpark -- an insider's point-of-view if you will.

Thanks and welcome! :)

Smokies
bench player

Re: March 2007: Q & A with Mick Gillispie

Postby Smokies » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:02 pm

I want to thank everyone for taking time out to welcome me to my new job and to the NSBF. I grew up in Baltimore as an Orioles fan but grew to also love the Cubs when I would watch them on WGN with Harry Carry, So the Northsiders were always and still are my National league team.

I will take the time to respond to all of your questions in the next few days so if you think of anything else please shoot it over. I have also set up an email address for questions during the broadcast...smokiesonradio@yahoo(or)hotmail.com

Thanks again!

Mick

Chris wrote:Image

Mick Gillispie, new play-by-play announcer for the Tennessee Smokies, has graciously agreed to answer some questions from everyone at NSBB!

From the Smokies:

The Tennessee Smokies have named Mick Gillispie as the radio play-by-play announcer on the Smokies Radio Network for the 2007 season. Gillispie, a native of Westminster, Maryland, joins the Smokies after two years with the Chattanooga Lookouts as their secondary radio announcer behind long time announcer Larry Ward. Mick will join the Smokies officially on March 15th.

Gillispie is anxious to get behind the Smokies microphone, and is especially excited about the new affiliation with the Chicago Cubs.

“They’re a great organization and a class act,” he said. “There are a lot of parallels between the Smokies and the Lookouts. To me it was important to get an opportunity with a team with a lot of the same consistency as far as character.”

Gillispie started his broadcasting career at WVUA radio in Tuscaloosa while attending The University of Alabama. Mick broadcasted the Tide’s baseball games and hosted Alabama’s pre-game football show. After graduation, he became the voice of the Salem Avalanche in the Class A Carolina League for one year before joining the Lookouts.

“We are excited to bring in Mick Gillespie as the new Smokies broadcaster,” said General Manager Brian Cox. “Mick knows the league well, and fits right in line with the caliber of play-by-play broadcasters we have had in recent years.”

This will be a great opportunity to get to know Mick before the start of the 2007 season. This session will be in accordance with the NSBB Q & A Guidelines. Thank you to Mick for taking the time to visit with us here at NSBB. In addition, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community!

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:45 am

Welcome!

Smokies
bench player

Postby Smokies » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:56 pm

("I've never been to a minor league ballpark. What would you recommend that a newcomer do or see at the Smokies ballpark -- an insider's point-of-view if you will.")

There are lots of great reasons to catch a game at Smokies Park. Fans are very close to the field and the action. The concession prices are low and we also have the best team store in the Southern League. Players are very assessable for autographs and the Stadium sits in a great spot here in the Rocky Mountains.

Smokies
bench player

Postby Smokies » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:15 pm

I will go answer these one at all time-

(- What's the craziest thing you've seen happen on the field?)
This is easy- Last year I was with Chattanooga (Reds SL AA) and a braw broke out on the field between them and Carolina (Marlins SL AA)...It was while the regular umpires were on strike and the scabs didn't know what to do...so they just let the players slug it out. After what seemed like at least 2 or 3 minutes both managers and staff got it stopped. Later I found out that the bad blood started when the Chattanooga pitcher was upset with the strike zone and the batter yelled out at the pitcher to stop arguing between every pitch. He was hit with the next one. I do a better job telling this one on the radio then trying to write it out so if anyone wants me to retell it this year feel free to e-mail me during the broadcast and remind me. (smokiesonradio@hotmail(or)yahoo.com)

- Who is the best player you've seen come through the teams you've broadcast for?
Joey Votto last season with the Reds was for me. He played on a different level for most of the season and was the SL MVP.

- What type of relationship do you have a chance to build with the players?
I try to stay professional with the team because you never want a friendship to get in the way of an honest broadcast...with that said sometimes you become friends outside of the field.

- Do you ride on the bus with the guys, or do you have to drive?)
I'm a bus rider most of the time but do drive to some of the short trips so I can get around during the day. Let me say this about the bus...worst part of the job!

Smokies
bench player

Postby Smokies » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:25 pm

("What's your favorite minor league city to visit?" )

My favorite minor league city to visit is Birmingham because I graduated college from the University of Alabama and it is very close by...I also get a good group of friends to come to the game those nights.

("Who was your favorite team and player growing up?")

I mentioned before that I grew up loving the home town Orioles and I had two very good reasons...Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken...

I also loved Ryan Sandberg and had a Mark Grace t-shirt and blue Cubs BP jersey when I was in high school. It matched my silky looking blue Cubs starter jacket (sometime around 1989)

Smokies
bench player

Postby Smokies » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:28 pm

"I know you haven't been around the Cubs too much yet, but what are your thoughts as of now on some of the guys you'll be seeing this season - guys like Donnie Veal, Sean Gallagher, Jeff Samardzija, Brian Dopirak and Ryan Harvey?"

Let me take a rain check on this one but...I like what I see!

Smokies
bench player

Postby Smokies » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:45 pm

-- What attracted you to broadcasting?
-- Do you have a signature home run call?

Very good questions here...
"(1)What attracted you to broadcasting?"

There are a many reasons that I got into this field...but the main was growing up in Baltimore I would listen to HOF broadcaster Chuck Thompson every night all summer long. Then Jon Miller joined him and it got even better. I wanted to be able to return that level of enjoyment to an audience. The other reason is my fastball topped out a 79 last time I took the mound. I get to stay involved in the best game in the world.

-- How do you keep your game commentary fresh?

Re-email me this around game 100 this year... LOL....
I just try to stay informed and have a good time each night on the air...

Do you have a signature home run call?

Yes- growing up my father and grandfather would always use the expression "what do ya say". It could be how they answered the phone or something surprising to them or after a big play in a game that was a surprise.
I try not to burn in out but it is my own way of getting exciting and sticking to my roots...

Smokies
bench player

Postby Smokies » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:57 pm

"As an opposing broadcaster, as you were in previous years, you probably have a different perspective than a team's own broadcaster. I'm curious which players that played for West Tenn when you were with Chattanooga impressed you the most? Also, do you think the Cubs' affiliate will receive more fan support in Sevierville than they did in Jackson?

I'll undoubtedly see a few Smokies games this year. I live less than an hour from the Carolina Mudcats' stadium, so I'll get to see some of the games played there."

Make sure to induce yourself to me when you make it over to Carolina... I can tell you that the fans in East Tennessee are amped about having the Cubs there.

The guys that stuck out most to me were the pitchers...It always seemed like the Diamond Jaxx had great starters. Hoffpower was unstoppable and Matt Murton is the real deal..

Smokies
bench player

Postby Smokies » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:03 pm

"How does a change in franchise affiliation affect your job? Will there be any changes in the day-to-day operations of the club?

Thanks for taking our questions! I'm looking forward to working in a trip to see the Smokies sometime this season. I hope you'll be able to participate in the discussions we have in the Minor Leagues Forum."

Just like the Cubs,,, this is my first year with the Smokies so I'm learning the day-to-day stuff with there guys. I will let you know later this season...

We would love to have you at Smokies Park so please come visit!

brinoch
5-Time All-Star

Postby brinoch » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:33 am

Mick,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! I know I appreciate it.

Return to “Chat Schedule/Questions for Guests”