THE DON! Q & A with Donnie Veal- Submit Questions Here!

Chris
Superstar

THE DON! Q & A with Donnie Veal- Submit Questions Here!

Postby Chris » Thu May 24, 2007 8:31 pm

Donnie Veal, 2007 Tennessee Smokies (AA) starting pitcher, has graciously agreed to answer questions from posters on NSBB. If you would like to ask him a question, please post it here. The deadline for submitting questions is 10 PM Sunday, May 27 -- so get your questions in quickly! Once Donnie has had an opportunity to answer them, the responses will be posted in the Chats Forum.

This session will be coordinated as in accordance with The NSBB Q & A Guidelines.

Thank you to Donnie for taking the time to interact with us on such an up close and personal level. As always, thanks to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful community!

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Thu May 24, 2007 8:44 pm

Donnie,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions. Also, thanks for taking the time to interact with a few Cubs fans in Mississippi this past week.

What specific things have you been working on this season? What has been the biggest hurdle you've faced in the jump to AA?

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Thu May 24, 2007 11:12 pm

Donnie,

You have shown some flashes this year of the same pitcher that completely dominated last year. I have read reports where you've just needed to attack the hitters more. I know it has been a tough start to the 2007 season for you, but has it been a learning experience for you to become a better pitcher in the long run? Also, when Angel Guzman was demoted to Iowa, Piniella said that it was tougher to gauge just how good Guzman was because of how free swinging minor league hitters are. Have you found this to be accurate with the hitters that you have faced in the Southern League this year?

I'm a huge fan of yours and I know you'll rebound and pitch as effective as you did last year. Good luck for the rest of the season.

baseball7897
All-Star

Postby baseball7897 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Donnie,

In talking about evaluating hitters, obviously you go over scouting reports, but does that change your approach in terms of how you use your strengths as a pitcher?

Tell us how you rate velocity, movement and command?

Also, how important is pitching inside for you?

Good luck on the rest of your season and stay consistent.

Slugger_16
5-Time All-Star

Postby Slugger_16 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:22 pm

Donnie,

I read in your MiLB.com journal that you felt you were doing better because you had started getting ahead of hitters again and letting them get themselves out. What changes did you have to make to start getting ahead of hitters?

I've read that you aren't a fan of the nickname "D-Train." Here at NSBB, we've come up with the nickname "The Don." Have you heard that one before and do you like it? Do you have any other nicknames?

Thanks for taking the time to answer our questions! We all hope to see you at Wrigley very soon.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Mon May 28, 2007 1:47 am

Donnie,

You and Sean Gallagher are two of the top three Cubs' pitching prospects according to Baseball America, and I believe you're teammates for the first time this year. Do you ever have any friendly wagers with each other over who will pitch a better game or anything like that?

Alfonso Soriano
All-Star

Postby Alfonso Soriano » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:14 am

Donnie,
1) What is the best part about playing in the Minor Leagues?
2) What is the hardest part about playing in the Minor Leagues?

Thanks

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:49 am

Alfonso Soriano wrote:Donnie,
1) What is the best part about playing in the Minor Leagues?
2) What is the hardest part about playing in the Minor Leagues?

Thanks
The interview was actually conducted last weekend; Chris just hasn't had time to get the responses posted yet.
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Return to “Chat Schedule/Questions for Guests”