Question and Answer with Ribbee!

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:05 am

Greetings everyone. I'll be going to the park earlier than expected tomorrow. Since I would like to have the questions/comments edited before I leave, I'm going to have to make the deadline for turning in questions/comments tonight at midnight. Thank you for your understanding!

CuseCubFan69
Hall of Fame

Postby CuseCubFan69 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:59 pm

Ribbee,

How do you think has more talent, Dancing Homer or the San Diego Chicken?
Greg Robinson and his gang of would be tacklers
SOS Save Our Syracuse Fire Robinson
Go Cubs

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:27 pm

Below are Ribbee's answers to your questions and comments! Thank you to Ribbee for taking time out of his schedule to visit with us here at NSBB! In addition, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community!

Question and Answer with Ribbee!

Treebeard

Dear Ribbee,

What was the interview process like to get the job you currently hold?

The Diamond Jaxx are an equal opportunity employer. They didn’t have any other bears show up for interviews and since I was qualified, I got the gig.

What are you paid in?

I am paid in Jaxx coins – they’re great, I can use them for concessions or for items like plush Ribbee dolls in the Clubhouse Store.

How did you learn to write in English?

From my older brother Cubbie Bear in Iowa.

Have you ever attempted sign languages?

Yes, since mascots can’t talk, I have to sign for everything.

How about a complicated system of grunts/roars?

More like a simplicated system of grunts and roars; I’m only four years old!

Hat size?

XXXXXXXXXXXL – Probably a 27 ½, if you wanted to buy me a fitted hat.

What's the cuh-RAY-zee-ist thing you've ever done?

Once I used the bathroom in the woods.

Thanks!

TruffleShuffle

Ribbee,

I remember hearing a talk the Phillie Phanatic... he said during day games he sweats off almost 10 lbs, especially when the weather is really hot. I remember he told us what his diet was, and he ate so much! I think something like a 6000-8000 calorie diet maybe. Do you have a big eating regimen to survive the hot Tennessee summers? And how hot does it get - you know, what with all your fur and everything.

Cotton candy by the truck load. It’s those empty carbs that get you through those hot summer games in West Tennessee. Sometimes I drizzle honey on my cotton candy for an added boost. How hot does it get? Imagine crawling into a bear skin and going full steam on a stair master, under the hot sun, in 90 -100% humidity. Although - if you’re not a bear, you wouldn’t understand. Humans have it so easy.

Ribbee, do you have a day job or an off-season job? It must be hard making rent and groceries (lots of honey pots) on just ~70 home games every year. Do you do anything else to support Mama Bear and the baby Cubs at home?

Duh, ever hear of a thing called hibernation? Plus, I’m only four years old. Even though that’s 11 in bear years (a bear can live 21-33 years), I don’t have a wife or kids yet. Give me a break!

Outshined_One

Ribbee,

What kind of bear are you?

I am a grizzly bear trapped in a brown bear’s body. I’ve got grizzly bear envy.

vance_the_cubs_fan

Ribbie,

Have you ever wanted a sidekick, like Yogi has Boo Boo? And do all bears like picnic baskets, or is that just a Yogi thing?

I have a sidekick for every game. He or she makes sure the naughty boys and girls at Pringles Park don’t pull on my tail. Yogi Bear has the copyright on that “pic-a-nic” basket thing. He won’t share it – believe me, I’ve tried.

Do you ever do birthday parties? How far would you travel and do you do tricks?

I “do” birthday parties under our First Tennessee Picnic Pavilion at Pringles Park. I haven’t done any outside of the stadium yet. Tricks? Let’s see…I can write, understand English and a little Spanish, plus I can do wheelies on my four wheeler while shooting t-shirts out of a cannon. How’s that for tricks?

Are you content to stay a AA mascot or do you aspire to be called to the big leagues some day?

I’m happy where I am. This way I get to stay closer to the fans. I already have a big enough head as it is (27 ½ hat size)

Do you think mascots should branch out into other sports? Should tennis players, golfers, and NASCAR drives start having mascots? I think so.

Of course they should. Mascots make the world go round.

Can you pitch? We need some bullpen help and I was wondering if you'd be willing to give it a try. I think seeing a ball thrown from a large bear would give you an advantage over the hitter. So, what do you think?

It’s against regulation because of my claws. The umps think I’d have an unfair advantage gripping the ball. Plus, if I didn’t agree with a call I could maul someone.

Several years ago the Mariner Moose broke his ankle while roller skating behind a four wheeler. Do you have any clauses in your contract that prohibit you from reckless behavior?

No. Moose and bears are very different species, Mr. “Vance.” Moose are timid creatures that run away at the slightest sign of dangers. Not me. My middle name is danger.

CT Cubs Fan

Where did you get the name Ribee?

Ah, that’s Ribbee with two b’s, thank you very much! Ribbee stands for RBI – runs batted in. It’s kind of a play on words…I think it works for me. It sounds a lot better than calling me “baulk” or “infield fly rule.”

cubsfanTN

Ribbee,

Can you be taken seriously, ever?

Do bears crap in the woods?

CubinNY

Do you have aspirations to make it to the big leagues one day? I hear Mr. Met only has two years left on his contract.

Nope – I’m content being an AA bear. I’ve got an older brother in Iowa (Cubbie Bear), but I wouldn’t want to take his gig. I don’t think a bear would be too welcome in the Windy City (Cubs) or the Big Apple (Mets). Here, I’ve got the fresh air, woodlands, and the gentle rolling hills of West Tennessee.

Rocket Sauce

Has a child ever cried when he saw you? If so, how do you handle it?

Good question, “Rocket Sauce.” When a child cries, I usually back away and act shy or start a game of peek-a-boo (old mascot trick). If that doesn’t stop the child from crying, I rough the parents up for raising such a wuss.

NCCubbieFan

Do most players and umpires act like good sports and go along with your routines?

Yes, most are good sports. Although there are the occasional rotten apples. Bears don’t like rotten apples.

Where do you go to hibernate for the winter?

You don’t know much about bears, do you sonny? I hibernate in a cave, like all bears do. Sheesh!

Finally, which famous bear would you be more interested in meeting, Yogi or Smokey?

Neither – I think I’d rather meet Snuggle, the Unilever fabric softener mascot. I’d tell him that he needs to toughen up a little; he’s giving us bears a bad rap.

DJAXXFAN

Ribbee, first off I want to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions and receive our comments. I also want to commend you for the great job you are doing in regards to giving back to the community. As a former west Tennessee resident I am fully aware of your community involvement in regards to public appearances as well as your reading program.

Thanks for noticing! I love being active in the community. Did you know that I’m the president of our neighborhood watch?
I have the luxury of being able to attend Jaxx games and watch you in action. I have seen you do some hilarious things, whether it be walking through sections on the seat backs or doing wheelies on a 4-wheeler on the warning track. There have been several mascots at "The Big Chip" from the big baseball to the Pringles can to Gem Dandy. You are not only the best mascot that the Jaxx have had, but I honestly believe that you are one of the best mascots in all of sports!

Again, thank you for those kind words. Don’t forget about the season with the giant Jack of Diamonds playing card mascot.

I wanted to ask what you believe is the funniest thing that you have ever intentionally done. In addition, I wanted to ask what you have done on accident that everyone thought was hilarious.

The funniest thing? Probably when I walk on the stadium wall behind a visiting player on deck and lean way in on the netted screen with my arms raised (that’s bear language for “I’m gonna get you.”) They try to ignore me, but sometimes they crack. That’s funny stuff – although I don’t do that anymore since I got in trouble for stretching out the netting.

What have I done on accident that everyone thought was funny? Once I forgot to bring my shirt on an appearance – it was hilarious and embarrassing at the same time. I know most bears are naked in the wild, but I’m a little more modest.

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Tinkers2evers

What are your thoughts on performance enhancing drugs in the world mascoting? As a minor league mascot, have you ever felt pressured to take performance enhancers in order to reach the majors?

I think it’s an outrage. Flintstone vitamins are as far as I go.

CuseCubFan69

Ribbee,

How do you think has more talent, Dancing Homer or the San Diego Chicken?

Definitely the San Diego Chicken. Although that Chicken is getting pretty old. Dancing Homer is just fat – and that’s only funny for so long. I may have to go with neither and select me instead. I’m only four, yet I can load and shoot t-shirts out of a bazooka while driving my four wheeler across the field. What can you do?

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:56 pm

Wow...Ribbee, I never knew you were only four. If I had, I would have never suggested you pitch or get promoted. You're way too young to have anything to do with Dusty's team.

But I bet Macias would think it was cool if you'd play peek-a-boo with him and Darren sometime.

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:59 pm

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:Wow...Ribbee, I never knew you were only four. If I had, I would have never suggested you pitch or get promoted. You're way too young to have anything to do with Dusty's team.

But I bet Macias would think it was cool if you'd play peek-a-boo with him and Darren sometime.

:lol:

I would post my favorite lines from Ribbee, but that may take awhile! Hilarious stuff!

Laura
Superstar

Postby Laura » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:06 pm

Can you pitch? We need some bullpen help and I was wondering if you'd be willing to give it a try. I think seeing a ball thrown from a large bear would give you an advantage over the hitter. So, what do you think?

It’s against regulation because of my claws. The umps think I’d have an unfair advantage gripping the ball. Plus, if I didn’t agree with a call I could maul someone.

Sounds like Ribbee and Big Z have a lot in common.

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:13 pm

I wasn't aware that Ribbee is Cubby Bear's little brother.

cubsfanTN wrote: Ribbee,

Can you be taken seriously, ever?

Ribbee wrote:Do bears crap in the woods?

:lol:

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:41 pm

Hilarious. Ribbee is definitely a feisty bear. :D
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

sethuel1
5-Time All-Star

Postby sethuel1 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:20 pm

This is the greatest interview ever.
"Well, he's a natural infielder, so for him playing first base is probably a little easier than playing third base." -Joe Morgan

"He can load it up and put some weight in his pants when he wants to." -Phil Simms

series65cubsfan
All-Star

Postby series65cubsfan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 12:31 pm

Great interview. One more reason to go to Pringles Park. I'm going to have to start scheduling next year's vacation time now. :D
--The difference between a warrior and an ordinary person is that the warrior sees everything as a challenge while an ordinary person sees everything as a blessing or a curse.--

- Carlos Castenada

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:32 pm

sethuel1 wrote:This is the greatest interview ever.

Definitely. I laughed so hard I have tears in my eyes.

Also, I am going to make a Ribbie/Z signature before long. Serena is right, they are similar. And they would be a KICKBUTT tag team combo!
Follow me on Twitter @MidwayJME

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:22 am

Ribbee wrote:
NCCubbieFan wrote:Where do you go to hibernate for the winter?
You don’t know much about bears, do you sonny? I hibernate in a cave, like all bears do. Sheesh!
Come on, Ribbee, at least give me SOME credit. Unlike TruffleShuffle, at least I've HEARD of hibernation. :lol:

Ribbee wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:Ribbee, do you have a day job or an off-season job? It must be hard making rent and groceries (lots of honey pots) on just ~70 home games every year. Do you do anything else to support Mama Bear and the baby Cubs at home?
Duh, ever hear of a thing called hibernation? Plus, I’m only four years old. Even though that’s 11 in bear years (a bear can live 21-33 years), I don’t have a wife or kids yet. Give me a break!
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Return to “Chats”