Question and Answer with Adam Greenberg- ANSWERS POSTED!

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Question and Answer with Adam Greenberg- ANSWERS POSTED!

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:07 am

Adam Greenberg, Outfielder for the 2005 Southern League First Half Champion West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx and Chicago Cubs, has graciously agreed to answer questions from posters on NSBB! If you would like to send a comment to Adam, or if you would like to ask Adam a question, feel free to post it here. I will allow the questions/comments to be posted until August 5th at midnight. Once Adam has had an opportunity to answer them, the responses will be posted.

This session will be coordinated as in accordance with The NSBB Q & A Guidelines

Thank you to Adam for taking the time to interact with us on such an up close and personal level! I encourage everyone to visit the official website of the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx. In addition, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful community!

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:20 am

Adam, you currently lead the major leagues in on base percentage. Are you optimistic that once you return to the majors, you can keep your OBP in the .900 to 1.000 area?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

mhuber92211
All-Star

Postby mhuber92211 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:47 am

Mr. Greenberg,
Thanks for joining us here at NSBB. You are a favorite of mine and someone I look for in the boxes ever since you spoke about doing what the big club needed in order to make it (on MLB.com). It was great to see you make the jump to the big leagues and see it sincerely mean something to you. I think all of us here at NSBB are grateful that you are OK after your 1st AB for the Cubs. Can you give us an update on how you feel and what it is like in the batters box for you now?

Also, one of the things that has endeared you to many fans is your "gamer" like mentality. You seem to have a ton of energy and leave it all on the field. How would you describe your brand of play and what does it feel like to be recognized now?

Sorry for being long winded. Like I said, you are a favorite of mine and a player that is easy to root for (which is hard to find nowadays). Keep it up and good luck!
Congrats Chicago

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:57 am

Thanks for taking our questions, Mr. Greenberg.

First off, I hope you are doing ok after your unfortunate incident.

There has been a lot made of Dusty Baker showing preference to veterans, but you were a guy that he specifically mentioned that he liked in spring training. How much playing time were you expecting to get when you were called up? Were you promised a certain amount of PT by anyone in the organization? And do you think you can still be productive getting sporadic at bats in a bench role, if that's what it takes?

chicubs
All-Star

Postby chicubs » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:17 am

1) Where you crushed to be knocked out of the big leagues so quickly or did the incident provide more motivation to get back to the majors and stick?

2) Where would you see yourself hitting in the current cubs lineup?
FIRE DUSTY!

If you want Corey to sign your baseball, just hold it eye level. He can't pass it up. - Elrhino

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:25 am

Has it been tough for you mentally to get back into the batter's box after the beaning? Have the Cubs given you any indication of when you might rejoin the major league team (e.g. when you complete a rehabilitation assignment, when rosters expand on Sept. 1, etc.)?
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:35 pm

Hi, thanks for answering these questions and welcome to our board!

After both you and Murton were called up, I seem to remember reading an article about how surprised you both were to be called up, and that you were were both very surprised.

Murton has been raking since he was called up. Are you and Murton going to have a batting competition once you get off the DL? :wink:

Also, an article I read said that you are good at "timely bunts". How important would you say bunts are to a team's offensive punch?

Kay
Role Player

Postby Kay » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:45 pm

Thanks for answering questions, Adam.

Every player has a unique story- What motivated you to go into a career of baseball, & what emotions/thoughts did you have when you learned you would be playing in the majors along with Matt Murton?

Best of luck. We're all rooting for you. =)
"It's team loyalty, not city loyalty."
"Baezbawl haz been bery, bery, good to me."

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:11 am

Adam,

Thank you so much for doing this chat with us! Onto my questions...

First off, tradition is that has it that a major league player on a rehab assignment buys the team dinner. Did you bring yourself to do that upon your return to the Diamond Jaxx? ;)

Secondly, I noticed that basically every time the camera panned to you in the dugout during your stint with the Cubs, you had a huge smile on your face. Were you just so thrilled to be living the dream, or do you find yourself to be some one who is just generally happy?

Cubs fans are rooting for you to come back healthy and productive. We wish you to have as much luck as humanly possible both in your recovery and in your career!

Iceblink
All-Star

Postby Iceblink » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:18 pm

Adam - thank you for taking our questions.

When you were called up, there were lots of good words about your defensive reputation. What kind of strides do you feel you've made as an outfielder since you've become a professional?

Also, you played a lot of RF in West Tenn, but are often listed as a CF'er. Do you think of yourself as being better at one of the OF positions over the others? If you had a chance to chose, which position would you play everyday?

Best of luck with the rest of the season, and in getting back to Chicago as soon as possible. We'll be pulling hard for you.

UBlink
All-Star

Postby UBlink » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:11 am

Adam -

Can you talk a little bit about the differences in off-the-field life in the different Cubs minor league communities? Which has been the most fun, best food, least distractions so you can concentrate on your game, etc? The minors seem to have some extremely varied communities.

Thanks

RyCubsFan
All-Star

Postby RyCubsFan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:44 pm

Congrats, Adam, on such a successful season! We're all rooting for you.

Question: When you first found out that you were going "to the show," who did you call first and tell the information?

Do you have any personal goals as to when you would like to stick in the Majors by?

What area of your game do you have to work the hardest in? What part of your game do you take the most pride in?

Thanks for your answers and best of luck in the future! We all think you'll be a Cub for good by next Spring at the latest... :wink:

Ryan
"They can feel however they want about how I pitch but it's not going to help them, because I'm going to go out there and I'm going to dominate either way." -- Sean Gallagher

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:39 pm

Adam,

Can you talk a little a bit about your approach at the plate or your philosophy of hitting?

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:55 pm

First off, I am glad that you are ok, and I thank you for joining us here at NSBB. I was very encouraged to read a recent quote saying that you felt that you were back to 100%.

I love to ask guys about sports memorabilia since I am a collector myself. Do you collect? If so, have you ever used your status as a ballplayer with accessibility to players to add to your collection if you collect?

When I met you in the clubhouse last week we talked briefly about your injury and how Kerry Wood offered to stay the night with you in the hospital. For the benefit of those who are not aware, can you talk about your relationship with Kerry Wood?

Laura
Superstar

Postby Laura » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:19 pm

Hi, Adam, thanks for answering our questions!

How are you feeling now?

Did Carlos Zambrano mention anything to you later about pinch-running for you? :D

Congrats on being called up, and we hope we'll see you playing at Wrigley soon!!!
I'm only here for the Dongs.

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:58 pm

Greetings all. I wanted to let all of you know that I have been in touch with Adam in regards to this session. He has answered a majority of questions but a couple of questions remain. Once Adam has an opportunity to answer the remaining questions we'll get them posted!

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:31 pm

Greetings all. Below are Adam's responses to your questions! Adam was not able to answer all of the questions, but he is planning on responding to the ones that he didn't have time to answer. Once I receive the additional answers I will post them in this thread. Thank you to Adam for taking time to answer our questions and thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community!

Question and Answer with Adam Greenberg

rawaction

Thanks for taking our questions, Mr. Greenberg.

First off, I hope you are doing ok after your unfortunate incident.

There has been a lot made of Dusty Baker showing preference to veterans, but you were a guy that he specifically mentioned that he liked in spring training. How much playing time were you expecting to get when you were called up? Were you promised a certain amount of PT by anyone in the organization? And do you think you can still be productive getting sporadic at bats in a bench role, if that's what it takes?

As a rookie I had no expectations of playing time I just knew that when my name was called I was going to be ready. Whether I play everyday or pinch hit or pinch run I will be up for any task the organization and team needs.

chicubs

1) Where you crushed to be knocked out of the big leagues so quickly or did the incident provide more motivation to get back to the majors and stick?

2) Where would you see yourself hitting in the current cubs lineup?

I certainly didn’t need any more motivation to get to the big leagues however I realized while I was there that the big leagues is the most unbelievable place to play. Also, I don’t consider myself as being knocked out of the big leagues just a break from the action. I plan on sticking there the next time my opportunity comes. I will just do everything I can to help the Chicago Cubs win games day in and day out.

I couldn’t say where I could see myself hitting in the current cubs line-up, that is why there is a manager who makes those decisions.

NCCubbieFan

Has it been tough for you mentally to get back into the batter's box after the beaning? Have the Cubs given you any indication of when you might rejoin the major league team (e.g. when you complete a rehabilitation assignment, when rosters expand on Sept. 1, etc.)?

There honestly hasn’t been any negative effect since the incident. I feel very comfortable in the box and I realize that what happened to me was a once in a lifetime incident. I don’t know when my next opportunity will come to help the big league team but I do know that I will be ready when my chance comes again.

BalsaWoodKeyBoard

Hi, thanks for answering these questions and welcome to our board!

After both you and Murton were called up, I seem to remember reading an article about how surprised you both were to be called up, and that you were were both very surprised.

Murton has been raking since he was called up. Are you and Murton going to have a batting competition once you get off the DL?

Also, an article I read said that you are good at "timely bunts". How important would you say bunts are to a team's offensive punch?

Matt and I are teammates and the better Matt and I both do the better chances we have to win games. So I guess the answer to your question is that Matt and I will not have a competition between us, we will try and help the Cubs win baseball games, however possible.

I take a lot of pride in my bunting game and I feel that it helps get teams going at times. Whether it be starting a rally, moving a guy into scoring position or my favorite, an rbi bunt hit with 2 outs and a guy on third base.

Kay

Thanks for answering questions, Adam.

Every player has a unique story- What motivated you to go into a career of baseball, & what emotions/thoughts did you have when you learned you would be playing in the majors along with Matt Murton?

Best of luck. We're all rooting for you. =)

I was 13 years old and I needed to make a decision as to what sport I was going to concentrate more on in the summer, baseball, basketball or soccer. I tried out for an AAU baseball team, made the team and we won the National Championship. I was selected to the all-tournament team and after that experience I knew that I wanted to pursue baseball more than anything. I had always loved the game of baseball and I grew up following it but I then knew for sure that I wanted to play major league baseball!!!

As for playing along with Matt, we had played against each other for years, starting in college, cape cod summer ball, and in the florida state league, however this year we became friends and teammates. To get to share the same emotions and feelings with someone else was something that I will never forget.

Outshined_One

Adam,

Thank you so much for doing this chat with us! Onto my questions...

First off, tradition is that has it that a major league player on a rehab assignment buys the team dinner. Did you bring yourself to do that upon your return to the Diamond Jaxx?

Secondly, I noticed that basically every time the camera panned to you in the dugout during your stint with the Cubs, you had a huge smile on your face. Were you just so thrilled to be living the dream, or do you find yourself to be some one who is just generally happy?

Cubs fans are rooting for you to come back healthy and productive. We wish you to have as much luck as humanly possible both in your recovery and in your career!

For the dinner I did help with a team spread when we got back to town.

I usually do have a smile on my face when I am at the park. I would not prefer to be anywhere else so I have as much fun as I possibly can. I am as competitive as they come but I try and stay as loose as possible.

Iceblink

Adam - thank you for taking our questions.

When you were called up, there were lots of good words about your defensive reputation. What kind of strides do you feel you've made as an outfielder since you've become a professional?

Also, you played a lot of RF in West Tenn, but are often listed as a CF'er. Do you think of yourself as being better at one of the OF positions over the others? If you had a chance to chose, which position would you play everyday?

Best of luck with the rest of the season, and in getting back to Chicago as soon as possible. We'll be pulling hard for you.

I have had some great outfield instruction since turning pro. John Cangelosi and Vince Coleman have been my outfield rovers and they have helped me with many things in the outfield and both have helped with work habits. Also I have played all three outfield positions since joining the cubs and that has been tremendous. Learning all the positions and working on angles and how the ball comes off the bat was an adjustment I had to make early on but I feel equally comfortable at all 3 spots. I wouldn’t say I am any better at any position however I do prefer to play center only because there is more room to make plays. Wherever a team wants and needs me to play is where I am happiest.

UBlink

Adam -

Can you talk a little bit about the differences in off-the-field life in the different Cubs minor league communities? Which has been the most fun, best food, least distractions so you can concentrate on your game, etc? The minors seem to have some extremely varied communities.

I really don’t have much to say about all the different minor league cities because I have spent the majority of my time in Daytona. I really only spent about a month in Lansing and only a few days in Iowa. West Tenn is a great place to play and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time that I have spent in each of the cities I have played in. In all the cities there have been booster clubs that really reach out to the players and we are very grateful to them. Booster’s give us a sense of being at home where people are there to help you out and they ultimately become friends of ours. There are distractions in every city you play in it just depends on the individual to decide how much you are going to allow yourself to be distracted.

RyCubsFan

Congrats, Adam, on such a successful season! We're all rooting for you.

Question: When you first found out that you were going "to the show," who did you call first and tell the information?

Do you have any personal goals as to when you would like to stick in the Majors by?

What area of your game do you have to work the hardest in? What part of your game do you take the most pride in?

Thanks for your answers and best of luck in the future! We all think you'll be a Cub for good by next Spring at the latest...

Ryan

I called my family first and made everyone get on the phone at the same time. I wanted the whole family to hear the news altogether. I would like to stick in the majors the next time I get an opportunity to go back.

In baseball if succeeding 30% of the time is considered great then that means you have 70% that you can always improve upon. So I guess that leads me to my answer, I would say I spend the most time on hitting, however bunting, base running and defense are all equally important. To me defense, bunting and good base running are things that I can control so I make sure that I continue to work at that day in and day out. I take the most pride in my defense because I know that I am helping my team and especially my pitcher and to me defense is something that can never have a bad day.

vance_the_cubs_fan

Adam,

Can you talk a little a bit about your approach at the plate or your philosophy of hitting?

My philosophy is rather simple. Find the barrel every time I step into the box. The more you put the barrel of the bat on the ball the better chances you have to reach base. As for my approach, Early in the game if I am at the top of the order I like to work the count, make the pitcher throw pitches. I am not opposed to swinging early however I need to make it be MY pitch and not a pitchers pitch. Later in the game (depending upon the situation) I don’t like giving away strikes that easily but the same rules apply, make sure if I am ahead of the count I only swing at my pitch or a mistake the pitcher made.

DJAXXFAN

First off, I am glad that you are ok, and I thank you for joining us here at NSBB. I was very encouraged to read a recent quote saying that you felt that you were back to 100%.

I love to ask guys about sports memorabilia since I am a collector myself. Do you collect? If so, have you ever used your status as a ballplayer with accessibility to players to add to your collection if you collect?

When I met you in the clubhouse last week we talked briefly about your injury and how Kerry Wood offered to stay the night with you in the hospital. For the benefit of those who are not aware, can you talk about your relationship with Kerry Wood?

As far as collecting memorabilia, I used to collect cards however moving around and going place to place has made it very difficult. When I have a room at my own house I will start collecting signed items from guys that I play with and against. I have had things signed for family members but not yet for myself.

When I was called up my teammates welcomed me with open arms and brought me and Matt in as teammates. From top to bottom we were made to feel like we belonged and that is something that I will remember forever.

Serena

Hi, Adam, thanks for answering our questions!

How are you feeling now?

Did Carlos Zambrano mention anything to you later about pinch-running for you?

Congrats on being called up, and we hope we'll see you playing at Wrigley soon!!!

I am feeling back to normal and I am at 100% Zambrano has yet to talk to me directly about pinch running for me but hopefully when I make it back we will be talking about bigger things like a Chicago Cubs World Series!!!

Return to “Chats”