Question and Answer with Len Kasper! ANSWERS POSTED!

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Question and Answer with Len Kasper! ANSWERS POSTED!

Postby Rondon Fan » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:34 pm

OK I recently PMed Len and he said he'd be happy to do a Q&A with us!!!!

So get the questions going and DJAXX and the mods will take care of the rest.

Edit by moderator: DJAXXFAN has made further contact with Len to confirm the session, and a deadline for submitting questions has been set. Questions for Len may be submitted until 11:59 P.M. Central time on Tuesday, Sept. 13.--NCCubbieFan
Last edited by Rondon Fan on Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

MadDog
bench player

HEY HEY HEY

Postby MadDog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:53 pm

HI LEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its so awesome that u come to this site.
k so my question is...............
Who do you think will come and leave for the Cubs?
k thank you.
tell bob brenly i say hi

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:00 pm

Hey Len, I think you've done a terrific job in your first season as the PBP man for the Cubs. I have a few questions for you. First, who was your favorite big league team growing up? Also, I am interested in going into the field of broadcasting. Where did you go to college and do you have any recommendations for those like myself and others that would like to follow your lead and go into the field of broadcasting? Thanks and I hope for a good finish in the 05 season.

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Postby Rondon Fan » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:23 pm

Hey Len,

What do you think our chances our of getting the following guys this offseason??

Johnny Damon
Manny Ramirez
Rafael Furcal
Brian Giles

Thanx, Aramis Fan
Last edited by Rondon Fan on Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

ZMovieman
Starter
Location: What Should Be Brewers Country, If Brewers Fans Existed

Postby ZMovieman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:52 pm

Hey Len! Just wanted to thank you for the integrity and knowledge that you bring to the games. My question is: is there any one game (with the Cubs or otherwise) that sticks out in your mind as "the most exciting game you've ever called"? From a Marquette student to a Marquette grad, best of luck to you.

sandberg23
5-Time All-Star

Postby sandberg23 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:05 pm

Len - Thanks for doing the Q&A and for joining the site.

How did you get into broadcasting MLB games and what led you to wanting/applying for the Cubs position?

How do you/what do you do to prepare for games? And what do you and Bob do on days that you don't have to announce due to national coverage?

Thanks again!
"I don't know what it feels like to be considered among the greatest who ever lived and I don't know if I ever will. I have too much respect for the game and for the players who played it before me to think anything like that." - Ryne Sandberg, January 4, 2005

"But Harry, who was a huge supporter of mine, used to say how nice it is that a guy who can hit 40 homers or steal 50 bases drive in a hundred runs is the best bunter on the team. Nice? That was my job. When did it become okay for someone to hit home runs and forget how to play the rest of the game?" - Ryne Sandberg, July 31, 2005

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:48 pm

Howdy Len! Welcome to NSBB!!

So what was it like when you broadcasted your first game of the season for the Cubs? Were you really nervous, or did you just try to relax and let things come naturally?

Also, it seemed as if the Cubs had some interesting characters on the team this year, most notably Ryan Dempster. My question is, what appropriate and work safe stories could you share with the NSBB members here about some of the antics guys in the clubhouse got up to?

Thanks a bunch for taking our questions! As it has been mentioned, the announcers for the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx and the Peoria Chiefs (Ron Potesta and Nathan Baliva) frequent the minor league forum if you're looking for some more in-depth insight on what's going on with the Cubs' minor leaguers and some fun conversation.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:35 am

Thanks for joining NSBB and taking our questions. Getting participation from broadcasters and other personnel, including players, throughout the organization contributes to making this such a great site.

1. You're the first Cubs play-by-play television broadcaster not named Brickhouse or Caray in many decades. How does it feel to be following such a great legacy?

2. It sounds like Dusty is going to get a contract extension. What do you think the Cubs need to do in order to win a championship under his leadership?

3. Do you still visit the cubs.com forum after they thought you were an imposter and your thread was deleted? :D (You don't need to worry about anything like that happening here.)
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

bobbyd20
Role Player

Postby bobbyd20 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:57 am

Len,

I can't figure out this strategy and am hoping maybe you can shed some light on it for me. Why is Dusty such a proponent of a balanced lineup (right-left-right-left) only when there is a right-handed pitcher on the mound? He continued to bat Burnitz between Lee and Ramirez in June and July even though both righties were on fire and teams pitched around Lee with runners on base and two out to face Burnitz. But, when a lefty is on the bump, Dusty doesn't also go right-left-right-left. Instead, he chooses to group his lefties together toward the bottom of the lineup. This doesn't make sense to me. Can you shed some light on Dusty's thinking for me?

Thanks.

AFCubsFan
Starter

Postby AFCubsFan » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:11 am

I'm a radio/TV broadcaster in the Air Force and my goal is to call MLB games after my military career. I look forward to reading some of your answers for those looking to get into MLB broadcasting. I have some different types of questions about how you handle the job.

I think preparation is the key to any type of good broadcast. How much time do you spend and what do you do to prepare for a game?

What game situations are the most challenging for you as an announcer and how do you handle them?

What are some of the things you learned during your first season with the Cubs?

Who is your favorite Cubs player to interview and why?

What is the hardest MLB ballpark to call a game in? Why?

What is your favorite MLB ballpark? Do you have a favorite as a fan and a different favorite as an announcer?

What's your favorite city to visit? Why and/or what do you do there when you're not calling a game?

How do you cope with the hectic travel schedule? How do you spend your time on the road?

Thanks for visiting the site and answering some of our questions. Keep up the great work in the announce booth!

RynoRules
5-Time All-Star

Postby RynoRules » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:38 am

Hi, Len. Than you much for being part of our community and agreeing to answer our fan-boy/girl questions.

What its like sharing the booth w/ Bob Brenly? It seems like the two of you sort of felt each other out for a month or two, and now there's great chemistry. Would you agree?

Thanks for doing such a nice job in spite of disappointing season.

Meat&PotatoesMan
5-Time All-Star

Postby Meat&PotatoesMan » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:39 am

Hi Len! Thanks for doing this Q&A with us. :D

Do you think Nomar could/would make the transition to the OF from SS?

Is Ronny Cedeno a legitimate starter in the big leagues?

Are you and Bob going to do a game from the bleachers like Harry (in bleachers) and Stone (up in the booth) used to do?

Thanks again! Enjoy the rest of the season and many more to come in Chicago.
“I think he acted like an idiot. I would have liked to see him do that against Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale or Rick Sutcliffe. They would have had to surgically remove that ball from his ear hole.’’ - Mark Grace on Ortiz's post HR antics at the WBC

Electron Blue
All-Star

Postby Electron Blue » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:52 am

Hey, Len, great to see you around here.

Two Questions:

* How do you and your partner approach calling a game, regarding players who are really struggling. Say a guy is hitting .220 all year and has looked pretty awful - do you find it hard to bring this up, do you worry about saying it "right" and not coming off as overly critical.

* Is broadcasting harder when the team is mathematically (or realistically) out of the playoff race?

Thanks,

BTW, what happened to Word of the Day? I've got one for you - quiescently

JGalt73
All-Star

Postby JGalt73 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:30 am

Len,

You had me hooked when you mentioned "Three True Outcomes" in the home opener against the Brewers - just wondering what baseball web sites you routinely read.

Thanks for the chat!

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:03 am

Hey Len, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

You've been participant to a truly up and down season, yet you have to remain optimistic on the television the whole time. Is this ever difficult? I imagine it would be for me. What do you do to cope?

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:36 am

lounge love to da len

So, is it at all possible for us to hear some tracks from your band, The Knowledge? Any CDs or MP3s available?!
Do it for Kent.

erik316wttn
Superstar

Postby erik316wttn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:35 pm

Who were your favorite players growing up?

Also, when the Cubs play in Milwaukee, do you ever stop by and see your buddies at WTMJ? Do they ever kid you about going to "the enemy?"
In Theo We Trust

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:46 pm

Hey Len. Thanks for taking your time to answer our questions.

How is your relationship with the Cubs players? Management?

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:19 pm

Len, Thanks for answering our questions! I hope you stay with the Cubs for a long time!

One quick question. Are you a Packers fan? I am a huge Packers and Cubs fan and people usually find it very odd.

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:54 pm

Another question Len:

Why do they always show (on TV) Ron Santo in the booth, but never Pat Hughes? Is he camera-shy or is it something more sinister?

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:41 pm

Thanks for stopping by, Len.

1. How about a football question: Who's your pick to win the Superbowl?

2. Secondly, what are your thoughts on Adam Dunn?

3. Did you play sports in high school? At one point did you decide to be a broadcaster?

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:51 pm

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:2. Secondly, what are your thoughts on Adam Dunn?

He likes him A LOT. He already said that in the other chat, dude.

Len, good to see you again, have you followed the Marlins much this year at all? Who is your pick for NL Cy Young, Clemens, Carp or Willis?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:53 pm

IMB! wrote:
vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:2. Secondly, what are your thoughts on Adam Dunn?

He likes him A LOT. He already said that in the other chat, dude.

Len, good to see you again, have you followed the Marlins much this year at all? Who is your pick for NL Cy Young, Clemens, Carp or Willis?

I know. Just trying to get the info out to the good people here. ;)

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:53 pm

Len also had kind words for Mercker.
Do it for Kent.

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:00 pm

Len,

How about an off the wall question. What's your favorite sandwich? Have you ever had a bacon turkey bravo? They're delicious!

Return to “Chats”