Question and Answer with Len Kasper! ANSWERS POSTED!

Beer_Bong
bench player

Postby Beer_Bong » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:52 am

Hey Len! Great to have you aboard!

One quick question: It seems that the Cubs tend to perform better when the Kids (Murton & Cedeno) play. How important do you think it is to have young enthusiastic players on your roster?

Thanks!

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:35 pm

What are you going to be doing this offseason? Are you just gonna relax during the offseason, or do you have any jobs lined up?

I get the feeling you're the coolest guy in the world, so these next questions are just to confirm/deny these thoughts.

I know you're a Mr. Show fan, did you ever seen Run Ronnie Run? Thoughts?

Do you watch Arrested Development ever?

Who is your favorite stand up comedian? If you don't have a favorite, who are some that you like?

Do you like Queens of the Stone Age?

Thank you kind sir.
Do it for Kent.

Mizzou
Superstar

Postby Mizzou » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:41 pm

I have a question... do you ever hang out with any of the players or coaches? Like, do you fish with Dusty or maybe take in art museums with Macias?
"I have heard many male fans here saying, 'I love you,' which I find odd." -- Kosuke Fukudome

MembersOnlyJacket
All-Star

Postby MembersOnlyJacket » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:28 am

Hey Len! Hey! If you were a hot dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

Anyhow, how difficult is it to become attached/fan/supporter to the club you're broadcasting for after x number of years with one club ? I say this because early in the season I sensed less excitement in your voice after a big moment. As the year has progressed, you've really seemed to become more emotionally attached, so to speak, with the Cubs. I'm a big fan of what you bring to the games. I hope to hear your calls with the Cubs for years to come.
Every Saturday is a Championship Game - Paul Johnson

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:45 am

Len,

First off, I have to tell you that I was a big fan of Chip and Steve. I was fully prepared to not like you and Bob, however, you've won me over. I especially like the saber-analysis you do from time to time (I wish Dusty would listen though). Anyway, enough with the brown nosing.

My question:

Even though you mention the Cubs are still in it, is it tough for you to "get up" for a game when the team you broadcast for is playing out the season and has no realistic hope for the playoffs?

sandberg23
5-Time All-Star

Postby sandberg23 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:34 am

Len - what is your favorite color? What is your favorite city to visit (not necessarily baseball-related)?
"I don't know what it feels like to be considered among the greatest who ever lived and I don't know if I ever will. I have too much respect for the game and for the players who played it before me to think anything like that." - Ryne Sandberg, January 4, 2005

"But Harry, who was a huge supporter of mine, used to say how nice it is that a guy who can hit 40 homers or steal 50 bases drive in a hundred runs is the best bunter on the team. Nice? That was my job. When did it become okay for someone to hit home runs and forget how to play the rest of the game?" - Ryne Sandberg, July 31, 2005

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Postby Rondon Fan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:49 pm

Hi guys! just a heads up!

Questions for Len may be submitted until 11:59 P.M. Central time on Tuesday, Sept. 13

Deadline coming soon

Get your questions in if you haven't already!!!!!!!
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

Knightlife_in_Lubbock
All-Star
Location: Waiting for the SAT scores and graduation rates to plummet now the Kelvin is coming.

Postby Knightlife_in_Lubbock » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:25 pm

Thank you for taking time and stopping by Mr. Kasper.

My questions to you:

Who is the one person you have met in your life (other than relatives) that you are truly glad you did? and why?

If you could go back in time what one person would you really like to meet and why?

What is a "normal" day like for you?

You and Mr. Brenly are doing a great job and I hope you guys stay for a long time to come.
"I like to think of C.M. Newton [University of Kentucky Athletic Director] as the school's director of corrections."

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/05pics/danica110.jpg

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/05pics/danica109.jpg

sweetpeteman
5-Time All-Star

Postby sweetpeteman » Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:11 pm

Hey Len, thank you for your time. What is your favorite stadium that is not Wrigley to broadcast in and how does it compare to Wrigley?

lowest
Starter

Postby lowest » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:15 pm

Howdy Len!

MembersOnlyJacket wrote:Hey Len! Hey! If you were a hot dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

Would you eat the moon if it were made of ribs?

But on another note, how much research (on players, teams, etc.) goes into broadcasting?
What, so far, is your best memory of your first season with the cubbies?

I've really enjoyed listening to you and Bob in the booth this year, and I hope we will have the privilege for many years to come. Thanks for all your time!

MembersOnlyJacket
All-Star

Postby MembersOnlyJacket » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:34 am

Len, one other question. In memory of the great Arne Harris, the Cub broadcast production crew continues to provide folks with many shots of attractive women at Wrigley. Harry Caray always followed those up with, "it's a beautiful day at the ballpark!". I always sense an awkward silence in the booth when they do this. Are you ever tempted to make a comment ? Or is it just best to stay away from that entirely ?
Every Saturday is a Championship Game - Paul Johnson

Bergy92
Starter

Postby Bergy92 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:46 am

Len, thanks for stopping by...

It seems to me that the home run call for announcers is a real distinguishing trademark. For all of us who have sat at home and tried to come up with a good home run call, only to be disappointed at how difficult it really is - I have a few questions...When did you come with your vocal inflection and for the most part saying 'get out of here'? Was it something that you practiced to come up with or did it come naturally? Did you ever have some other home run calls before settling on this one?

Thanks for the time, it has been a joy to listen to you this year. This fan hopes for many more.

dalgreen
5-Time All-Star

Postby dalgreen » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:29 am

Thanks for your time, Len.

We hear about "getaway day" in baseball. So how much time does it actually take from the last pitch of a game to the time the plane takes off at the airport?

CuseCubFan69
Hall of Fame

Postby CuseCubFan69 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:42 am

Hey Len and thanks for stopping by!

When a Cub really flubs up a play, and it happens time to time :wink: , how do you remain neutral/professional and not say what the heck was he thinking?
Greg Robinson and his gang of would be tacklers
SOS Save Our Syracuse Fire Robinson
Go Cubs

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:55 pm

Quick reminder that everyone has until 11:59 CT TONIGHT to turn in your questions/comments to be forwarded to Len!

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:50 pm

Len,

Thanks for stopping by and chatting with our community. It is a lot of fun for us to be able to interact with someone from the team, so I hope you consider stopping by on a regular basis.

For my question - Ever since Harry started in Chicago, the Cubs have turned the seventh inning stretch into a tradition. For the first year post-Harry, I loved the guest conductor idea because it seemed like a great way to honor Harry's legacy. At this point, though, the tradition seems to be getting tired and I'd really rather listen to you and Bob talk baseball in the bottom of the seventh -- usually an important part of the game. I was hoping to hear your thoughts on the the pros/cons of continuing the guest conductor tradition versus moving in a new direction.

Thanks!
Spoiler: show

TC3_Hinrich12
Role Player

Postby TC3_Hinrich12 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:01 pm

Hey Len, thanks for stopping by...

My question is, how hard was it to convert from being a Marlins fan to a Cubs fan? Would you still consider yourself a Marlins fan or do you still root for them? Of course you like the CUbs better though, right?

“Media, get in a corner. Get in one of the corners so we can walk through.'’

- Albert Pujols

Mizzou
Superstar

Postby Mizzou » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:43 pm

Another question for you, Len. Bruce Miles, along with the minor league announcers for the West Tennessee and Peoria clubs, all share their thoughts with us on a regular basis here. Do you plan on participating in the discussions as well?

Also, who's the better pitcher: Prior or Zambrano?
"I have heard many male fans here saying, 'I love you,' which I find odd." -- Kosuke Fukudome

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:59 pm

Greetings Len. Thank you again for the earlier shout out and for doing this session! We're happy yo have you here at NSBB!

When you posted on the WGN blog that you had been mistaken for yourself on cubs.com and confirmed on your blog that it was you, many of us here at NSBB made it a point to post invitations for you to join us here at NSBB. Is that what brought you here to NSBB or were you already reading the boards? What is your impression of the site?

We've had several sessions in the past few months and I always enjoy asking guys about sports memorabilia. Do you collect memorabilia? Have you ever used your accessibility to the players as a broadcaster to add to your collection? If so, can I ask what it was?

In addition, what's it really like having such a cool job? I know how much work it involves to call a game, but hard work and preparation aside, how cool is it?

Thank you for everything that you're doing! Keep up the great work!

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:17 am

The question and answer session has been edited and forwarded to Len! Once Len has an opportunity to answer the questions his responses will be posted in this thread. Thank you to Len for taking time out of his schedule to answer our questions and for registering here at NSBB! In addition, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community!

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:33 pm

Below is the completed Question and Answer session with Len Kasper! A big thank you to Len not only for taking the time to do this session, but for the great job he has done with Bob Brenly this season in the Broadcast Booth! In addition, thank you to Len for TWO shout outs for NSBB this season! A special thank you also goes out to Aramis Fan for asking Len to be a part of our Q & A sessions here at NSBB and to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community! Be sure to post comments as well as your appreciation to Len!

Len Kasper Q & A

Hi Everybody, thanks to Chris and the fine folks at NSBB for setting up this Q&A. One note, I didn't answer every question due to time constraints and a few were similar to others I had already answered. But I did get to most of them, so here goes...and thanks against for having me on your site and thanks for the kind comments throughout!

MadDog

HI LEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its so awesome that u come to this site. k so my question is............... Who do you think will come and leave for the Cubs? k thank you. tell bob brenly i say hi

Hi MadDog, glad to be here. Not sure who will come and go, but there will be changes-likely in the OF and in the bullpen. And the middle infield could change too. I think Murton and Cedeno have shown a lot of potential and could be starters down the road. Will it be next year? That's an interesting question.

Flames24Rulz

Hey Len, I think you've done a terrific job in your first season as the PBP man for the Cubs. I have a few questions for you. First, who was your favorite big league team growing up? Also, I am interested in going into the field of broadcasting. Where did you go to college and do you have any recommendations for those like myself and others that would like to follow your lead and go into the field of broadcasting? Thanks and I hope for a good finish in the 05 season.

Hi Flames, I grew up in Michigan a Tigers fan. I went to Marquette University in Milwaukee. My quick advice is to simply get your degree (doesn't have to be in broadcasting-mine is in PR) and get as much broadcasting experience as possible. And not just PBP. I've done radio sports anchoring, talk shows, you name it (mostly radio, in fact, prior to doing TV play-by-play). It all has helped.

Aramis Fan

Hey Len,

What do you think our chances our of getting the following guys this offseason??

Johnny Damon
Manny Ramirez
Rafael Furcal
Brian Giles

Thanx, Aramis Fan

Aramis Fan, I wish I could tell you. My guess is Jim Hendry will go after a FA or 2 to help the offense. The question is, which ones??? Personally, I'll take all those guys you listed!

ZMovieman

Hey Len! Just wanted to thank you for the integrity and knowledge that you bring to the games. My question is: is there any one game (with the Cubs or otherwise) that sticks out in your mind as "the most exciting game you've ever called"? From a Marquette student to a Marquette grad, best of luck to you.

Hello Z, glad to see an MU connection on the board. The most exciting game? Hmmmm..we've had some this year for sure. I love the Cubs' walk-off wins, those are always great. I think the back-to-back 9th-inning comeback wins in Pittsburgh vs. Jose Mesa stand out off the top of my head. All the wins against the Cardinals of course and prior to this year, for me personally, most of the Marlins' September games as they grabbed the wildcard in 2003.

sandberg23

Len - Thanks for doing the Q&A and for joining thesite.

How did you get into broadcasting MLB games and what led you to wanting/applying for the Cubs position?

How do you/what do you do to prepare for games? And what do you and Bob do on days that you don't have to announce due to national coverage?

Thanks again!

Hi Sandberg23, broadcasting big league baseball was a dream of mine from a very young age. I was very fortunate to fill-in on TV in Milwaukee several years ago and that led to my first full-time baseball job with Florida and when the Cubs' job opened, I eventually called and threw my hat in the ring and lo and behold, I got it. I'm very fortunate. As far as prep, I'm on-line all the time, maybe too much! I do baseball stuff every day of the year, even in the off-season. I'm always looking for interesting nuggets on players, teams, etc. It's a lifelong passion. On days we don't broadcast? I spend the time at home with my family if we're in Chicago and usually catch some or most of the game on TV or radio.

Outshined_One

Howdy Len! Welcome to NSBB!!

So what was it like when you broadcasted your first game of the season for the Cubs? Were you really nervous, or did you just try to relax and let things come naturally?

Also, it seemed as if the Cubs had some interesting characters on the team this year, most notably Ryan Dempster. My question is, what appropriate and work safe stories could you share with the NSBB members here about some of the antics guys in the clubhouse got up to?

Thanks a bunch for taking our questions! As it has been mentioned, the announcers for the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx and the Peoria Chiefs (Ron Potesta and Nathan Baliva) frequent the minor league forum if you're looking for some more in-depth insight on what's going on with the Cubs' minor leaguers and some fun conversation.

Hi Outshined One, sure I was a bit nervous, but it was very comfortable from the opening pitch and I felt instant chemistry working with Bob and our crew. As far as the clubhouse stuff, I don't have any "inside" scoops for you at this point.

NCCubbieFan

Thanks for joining NSBB and taking our questions. Getting participation from broadcasters and other personnel, including players, throughout the organization contributes to making this such a great site.

1. You're the first Cubs play-by-play television broadcaster not named Brickhouse or Caray in many decades. How does it feel to be following such a great legacy?

2. It sounds like Dusty is going to get a contract extension. What do you think the Cubs need to do in order to win a championship under his leadership?

3. Do you still visit the cubs.com forum after they thought you were an imposter and your thread was deleted? (You don't need to worry about anything like that happening here.)

Hi NCCubbie Fan, it's still sinking in, to be honest. I still almost can't believe this has happened to me. It's an incredible honor to be able to sit in that historic booth with Bob and call Cubs games on television. I think I'll always feel that way too--like, how did I get this lucky? As far as what the Cubs need to do, well, keep their starters healthy, grab a veteran or two to supplement the pen and add a hitter (or two) who has a good OBP. The Cubs need to get on base more, pure and simple. I love the power, but that's not enough. I have visited cubs.com. That whole thing just made me laugh.

AFCubsFan

I'm a radio/TV broadcaster in the Air Force and my goal is to call MLB games after my military career. I look forward to reading some of your answers for those looking to get into MLB broadcasting. I have some different types of questions about how you handle the job.

I think preparation is the key to any type of good broadcast. How much time do you spend and what do you do to prepare for a game?

What game situations are the most challenging for you as an announcer and how do you handle them?

What are some of the things you learned during your first season with the Cubs?

Who is your favorite Cubs player to interview and why?

What is the hardest MLB ballpark to call a game in? Why?

What is your favorite MLB ballpark? Do you have a favorite as a fan and a different favorite as an announcer?

What's your favorite city to visit? Why and/or what do you do there when you're not calling a game?

How do you cope with the hectic travel schedule? How do you spend your time on the road?

Thanks for visiting the site and answering some of our questions. Keep up the great work in the announce booth!

Hi AF, due to time and space considerations, I'll handle a couple of your questions-on prep time, it's a year-round thing for me. I spend a lot of time on the computer--hours and hours--I wouldn't even begin to know how much time I spend prepping at home. But it's fun for me, I love it.

The most challenging spots for me are when the game has a quick pace, there are lots of pitching changes and substitutions and I have to get in a bunch of promos, plus there are other scores to check--basically those spots where I have 10 things flying at me at once. But those are also sometimes the most rewarding times because it's fun navigating through all of it!

RynoRules

Hi, Len. Than you much for being part of our community and agreeing to answer our fan-boy/girl questions.

What its like sharing the booth w/ Bob Brenly? It seems like the two of you sort of felt each other out for a month or two, and now there's great chemistry. Would you agree?

Thanks for doing such a nice job in spite of disappointing season.

Hi RynoRules, I felt instant chemistry with Bob and of course it takes some time to really get to know someone and how they work, but Bob is SO laid back and such a supportive person that he made me feel right at home from Day 1. I'm very fortunate to have the chance to work with him everyday.

Meat&PotatoesMan

Hi Len! Thanks for doing this Q&A with us.

Do you think Nomar could/would make the transition to the OF from SS?

Is Ronny Cedeno a legitimate starter in the big leagues?

Are you and Bob going to do a game from the bleachers like Harry (in bleachers) and Stone (up in the booth) used to do?

Thanks again! Enjoy the rest of the season and many more to come in Chicago.

Hello M&P Man,

Yes, I believe Nomar could do it. If you can play SS, you can play just about anywhere. Only thing would be the running-and with the groin issues, that could be a concern. But if he's healthy, no doubt. And yes, I believe Cedeno can be an everyday player. And on the bleacher question....I'll just say, interesting question. ;-)

Electron Blue

Hey, Len, great to see you around here.

Two Questions:

* How do you and your partner approach calling a game, regarding players who are really struggling. Say a guy is hitting .220 all year and has looked pretty awful - do you find it hard to bring this up, do you worry about saying it "right" and not coming off as overly critical.

* Is broadcasting harder when the team is mathematically (or realistically) out of the playoff race?

Thanks,

BTW, what happened to Word of the Day? I've got one for you - quiescently

Hi Electron,

It's not that hard--for instance, saying a guy is struggling and hitting .180 over a 2-month period isn't being overly critical, it's just stating the facts.

On the second question, every game is special in its own way and you never know what you'll see, so while you want every game to be a "big" game, they're all major league games. And they all count.

And on Word of the Day--I've admittedly slacked off lately, but I've snuck in a few here and there. Cavort and rancor were recent words along with thrice which I thought of on the spot during the game! We'll keep it going, don't worry!

JGalt73

Len,

You had me hooked when you mentioned "Three True Outcomes" in the home opener against the Brewers - just wondering what baseball web sites you routinely read.

Thanks for the chat!

Hi JGalt73,

I read Baseball Prospectus and that's where I get my sabermetric fix. I read a lot of stuff, whatever I find interesting basically.

BalsaWoodKeyBoard

Hey Len, thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

You've been participant to a truly up and down season, yet you have to remain optimistic on the television the whole time. Is this ever difficult? I imagine it would be for me. What do you do to cope?

Hello Balsa,

My personality is such that I'm excited to be at the ballpark everyday, so it's not that hard to get up for each game. Yes, you want your team to win every game and there's frustration when it doesn't happen, but I have a job to do and I believe it's important to remain on an even keel. It's the way I've always tried to be.

Rocket Sauce

lounge love to da len

So, is it at all possible for us to hear some tracks from your band, The Knowledge? Any CDs or MP3s available?!

Hello Rocket Sauce,

We recorded 3 demos and I know they're somewhere in the house. It was fun while it lasted. I have them somewhere. Maybe someday I'll put it up on the net.

erik316wttn

Who were your favorite players growing up?

Also, when the Cubs play in Milwaukee, do you ever stop by and see your buddies at WTMJ? Do they ever kid you about going to "the enemy?"

Hi Erik,

My favorite players growing up were Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell and most of the Tigers guys. I really liked the NL though and certainly remember watching the Cubs on WGN. Yes, I remember Bob Brenly as a player...I was into the Giants because Roger Craig, their manager, had previously been Detroit's pitching coach. And I always enjoy coming back to Milwaukee and seeing old friends.

HHHBK21

Hey Len. Thanks for taking your time to answer our questions.

How is your relationship with the Cubs players? Management?

Hi HHHBK21,

My relationship with everyone I've worked with has been great. The Cubs and WGN and Comcast Sportnet have all been extremely helpful and accommodating.

coolhandluke84

Len, Thanks for answering our questions! I hope you stay with the Cubs for a long time!

One quick question. Are you a Packers fan? I am a huge Packers and Cubs fan and people usually find it very odd.

Hi Luke, p.s., that's one of my favorite movies of all-time. I've never really been a Packers fan per se. I covered them while at WTMJ in Milwaukee and certainly wanted them to do well, but I can't say I've ever been a huge "fan" of the Packers. But I never did play-by-play for the Packers and really was a reporter covering the team more than anything else. I'll tell you this though, I'm a huge Brett Favre fan.

BalsaWoodKeyBoard

Why do they always show (on TV) Ron Santo in the booth, but never Pat Hughes? Is he camera-shy or is it something more sinister?

Hello Balsa,

It's not that we try NOT to show Pat, it's just that many times a baseball story comes up and Ron's name comes up and that's when we show him. Nothing more, nothing less. The radio crew has been awesome by the way. Pat and Ron and Andy and Matt are great guys.

vance_the_cubs_fan

Thanks for stopping by, Len.

1. How about a football question: Who's your pick to win the Superbowl?

2. Secondly, what are your thoughts on Adam Dunn?

3. Did you play sports in high school? At one point did you decide to be a broadcaster?

4. How about an off the wall question. What's your favorite sandwich? Have you ever had a bacon turkey bravo? They're delicious!

Hi Vance, First off, I have absolutely NO clue regarding the NFL, but let me say this...if I had to make a guess, I'd go with New England, because the Patriots are always a safe pick, no? Secondly, I look forward to watching the Bears from my sofa all fall/winter. My thoughts on Adam Dunn? I think he's an offensive monster whose value isn't fully grasped by many people--just do me one favor and don't even look at his batting average (kinda like in Spinal Tap when Marti Deburgi tries to look at Nigel's guitar and Nigel snaps at him to not point at it or even look at it). Look instead at his OBP and SL% and you'll see what a monster he is. I'd take him on my team any day.

I played freshman football and didn't like it (probably because I stunk). Played hoops for three years (I didn't have much game) and played baseball all the way through (I was an average high school player but to be honest, I wasn't very strong physically...I was a slap switch-hitter). I knew at about age 12 or so that broadcasting was the way to go!

My favorite sandwich is a tuna melt.

IMB!

Len, good to see you again, have you followed the Marlins much this year at all? Who is your pick for NL Cy Young, Clemens, Carp or Willis?

Hi IMB,

Sure, naturally I follow the Marlins. Can't say I follow them a whole lot more than the rest of the league though. I have enough on my plate with the Cubs and the upcoming opponents. Tough choice on Cy Young. Hard to overlook Clemens' ERA. I guess Clemens if I had to pick.

Beer_Bong

Hey Len! Great to have you aboard!

One quick question: It seems that the Cubs tend to perform better when the Kids (Murton & Cedeno) play. How important do you think it is to have young enthusiastic players on your roster?

Thanks!

Hi Beer Bong (interesting monicker),

I think it's important to have GOOD players on your roster, whether they are 22, 24 or 33. But yes, it's fun to see the kids do well.

Rocket Sauce

What are you going to be doing this offseason? Are you just gonna relax during the offseason, or do you have any jobs lined up?

I get the feeling you're the coolest guy in the world, so these next questions are just to confirm/deny these thoughts.

I know you're a Mr. Show fan, did you ever seen Run Ronnie Run? Thoughts?

Do you watch Arrested Development ever?

Who is your favorite stand up comedian? If you don't have a favorite, who are some that you like?

Do you like Queens of the Stone Age?

Thank you kind sir.

Hi Rocket Sauce, yes I saw Run Ronnie Run, but I gave up about 45 minutes into it. It had potential, but just wasn't up to Mr. Show par. But if you've read about it at all, Odenkirk and Cross basically told their fans not to see it, that it wasn't good and that it wasn't the vision they originally had for it. I have seen Arrested Development but never got hooked. Not enough time...it seems clever though. The problem is, after watching Larry Sanders and Mr. Show on HBO, everything else pales in comparison.

Wow, stand up comedians...going way back to when I was a kid, Bill Cosby is probably the best ever. More recently, David Cross, Chris Rock, Jake Johansen all make me laugh. One of my favorite movies is "Mr. Saturday Night," Billy Crystal's movie about fading comic Buddy Young Jr. I grew up watching Bobby Van's "Make Me Laugh" with the Unknown Comic and Bruce Baum, among others. And I loved "The Aristocrats."

I've heard of Queens of the Stone Age, but don't knowmuch about their music.

MembersOnlyJacket

Hey Len! Hey! If you were a hot dog, and you were starving, would you eat yourself?

Anyhow, how difficult is it to become attached/fan/supporter to the club you're broadcasting for after x number of years with one club? I say this because early in the season I sensed less excitement in your voice after a big moment. As the year has progressed, you've really seemed to become more emotionally attached, so to speak, with the Cubs. I'm a big fan of what you bring to the games. I hope to hear your calls with the Cubs for years to come.

Hello MembersOnly,

Your sense is pretty good. Look, I try to be as genuine as I can and I'm cautious by nature and the LAST thing I wanted to do was to come here and right off the bat act like I've been with the Cubs for 20 years. It would have come off as fake and over-the-top and that's not me. So, I just think that subtly, as I've gotten more comfortable in the position, I've let my hair down a bit more so to speak. Maybe loosened up and let my personality come through more. My first goal was to get the basics right and establish that I kinda know what I'm doing. I appreciate everyone's patience in that regard, and I hope you understand that fine line.

sandberg23

Len - what is your favorite color? What is your favorite city to visit (not necessarily baseball-related)?

Hi Sandberg23,

My favorite color is probably blue. My favorite city is......San Francisco I guess. I like all the California cities. Actually, the best city in the big leagues is Chicago and I live here now!

Knightlife_in_Lubbock

Thank you for taking time and stopping by Mr. Kasper.

My questions to you:

Who is the one person you have met in your life (other than relatives) that you are truly glad you did? And why?

If you could go back in time what one person would you really like to meet and why?

What is a "normal" day like for you?

You and Mr. Brenly are doing a great job and I hope you guys stay for a long time to come.

Hi Knightlife,

Thanks for the kind comments...Ernie Harwell is the person I can say I'm truly glad I met. I grew up wanting to be him and not only did I get to meet him, but I've talked to him several times. He called me after I got this job to congratulate me and recently interviewed me for a Detroit Free Press column. That blows me away. I still can't believe my hero wrote a column about me. He's maybe the nicest human being I've ever met. And a normal day for me is lots of surfing the net for baseball news and info and then heading to the ballpark.

sweetpeteman

Hey Len, thank you for your time. What is your favorite stadium that is not Wrigley to broadcast in and how does it compare to Wrigley?

Hello Sweetpeteman,

Dodger Stadium and SBC Park might be my 2 favorites other than Wrigley.

MembersOnlyJacket

Len, one other question. In memory of the great Arne Harris, the Cub broadcast production crew continues to provide folks with many shots of attractive women at Wrigley. Harry Caray always followed those up with, "it's a beautiful day at the ballpark!". I always sense an awkward silence in the booth when they do this. Are you ever tempted to make a comment ? Or is it just best to stay away from that entirely ?

Hi MembersOnly again,

I don't feel awkward most of the time in those spots. We're usually talking about something else and to be honest, what can I add to a shot like that? I'm trying to stay out of trouble!

Bergy92

Len, thanks for stopping by...

It seems to me that the home run call for announcers is a real distinguishing trademark. For all of us who have sat at home and tried to come up with a good home run call, only to be disappointed at how difficult it really is - I have a few questions...When did you come with your vocal inflection and for the most part saying 'get out of here'? Was it something that you practiced to come up with or did it come naturally? Did you ever have some other home run calls before settling on this one?

Thanks for the time, it has been a joy to listen to you this year. This fan hopes for many more.

Hi Bergy92,

I never really thought too much about a HR call and can't say that I have one. Yes, I say "Outta here" more than anything else, but mainly because it's just simple and easy to remember I guess. I really try to keep it fresh and call every HR as genuinely as possible. I don't ever want to feel like I'm "crafting" a HR call. Again, that would feel fabricated.

dalgreen

Thanks for your time, Len.

We hear about "getaway day" in baseball. So how much time does it actually take from the last pitch of a game to the time the plane takes off at the airport?

Hey Dalgreen,

Good question. Our bus usually leaves about 50-60 minutes after the game and depending on how far the airport is, we're probably off the ground about 2 hours after the final pitch.

CuseCubFan69

Hey Len and thanks for stopping by!

When a Cub really flubs up a play, and it happens time to time , how do you remain neutral/professional and not say what the heck was he thinking?

Hi Cuse,

It's my job!

Tim

Len,

Thanks for stopping by and chatting with our community. It is a lot of fun for us to be able to interact with someone from the team, so I hope you consider stopping by on a regular basis.

For my question - Ever since Harry started in Chicago, the Cubs have turned the seventh inning stretch into a tradition. For the first year post-Harry, I loved the guest conductor idea because it seemed like a great way to honor Harry's legacy. At this point, though, the tradition seems to be getting tired and I'd really rather listen to you and Bob talk baseball in the bottom of the seventh -- usually an important part of the game. I was hoping to hear your thoughts on the the pros/cons of continuing the guest conductor tradition versus moving in a new direction.

Thanks!

Tim, I've enjoyed that part of this job very much this year. Because we're on TV, I don't think, for the most part, that it detracts from the game because you can still see it. The challenge for me is when we have a non-baseball person and the game is tight, but I think we do our best to balance that. I've met a lot of interesting people this year during the 7th inning stretch and personally, I hope it continues.

TC3_Hinrich12

Hey Len, thanks for stopping by...

My question is, how hard was it to convert from being a Marlins fan to a Cubs fan? Would you still consider yourself a Marlins fan or do you still root for them? Of course you like the Cubs better though, right?

Hi TC3,

I've been asked that a few times and it's really simple--my loyalty changed the SECOND I got this job. I want the Cubs to win--I'm the TV play-by-play voice of the Chicago Cubs, I'm around the team every day for 6 months--this is my team now. I still have lots of friends with the Marlins, as anybody would, but I'm not with Florida anymore. I'm a Cubs fan and that's really it.

Thanks again everyone and hope to catch you in the off-season!!

Len

Mizzou
Superstar

Postby Mizzou » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:48 pm

He didn't answer (or receive) my questions. :x :cry:

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:20 am

Many thanks to Len for participating. Hopefully he'll post here from time to time as his schedule allows.
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:40 am

Or come here looking for some baseball knowledge! :D

Thanks to everyone for putting this together!!

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:22 am

Len Rules.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Return to “Chats”