Jan. 2006: Questions & Answers with Len Kasper

Laura
Superstar

Jan. 2006: Questions & Answers with Len Kasper

Postby Laura » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:29 pm

Len Kasper, Broadcaster for the Chicago, has graciously agreed for a second time to answer questions from posters on NSBB! If you would like to send a comment to Len, or if you would like to ask Len a question, feel free to post it here. The deadline for submitting questions is Wednesday, January 18th at noon. Once Len has had an opportunity to answer them, the responses will be posted.

This session will be coordinated as in accordance with The NSBB Q & A Guidelines.

We're putting up the Q&A thread a little earlier than usual because people have different schedules and because the Cubs Convention is happening next weekend (Jan 13-15). This should give everyone a chance to post a question.

Thank you to Len for again taking the time to interact with us on such an up close and personal level. In addition, thank you to Len for his references to NSBB both during broadcasts and the WGN Sports Baseball Blog. A special thank you to Len for his help in raising funds for the American Red Cross with his donated 2005 Spring Training Scorecards.

As always, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful community! :cheers:
Last edited by Laura on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Len,

One of the things that has puzzled many of us is the Cubs attempts to trade Todd Walker this offseason. Do you have any insight into why the Cubs aren't enamored with the Bayou Basher?

Mizzou
Superstar

Postby Mizzou » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:49 pm

Len,

1. Have you ever thought about doing something else in the baseball business? Like maybe getting into upper management? Or are you content calling the games?

2. What's your favorite kind of beer?

Thanks!
"I have heard many male fans here saying, 'I love you,' which I find odd." -- Kosuke Fukudome

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:21 pm

Mr Kasper,

Are you as scared as the rest of us that we are really going to suck due to Hendry's new found love for guys who can "catch the ball"?
Follow me on Twitter @MidwayJME

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:03 pm

Len,

Thanks again for taking our questions.

What is your opinion of the rapping abilities of our new centerfielder, Juan Pierre?

What are some of your favorite road cities and what makes them so?

Have you ever been to Louisiana?

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:58 am

Len,

Thanks a bunch for dropping by once again!

Do you think the Cubs intend to let Rich Hill win a rotation spot in Spring Training, or is he going to have to battle with Glendon Rusch over it? Do you think he could stick at the #5 spot?

Do you think Corey Patterson needs a change of scenery, or could things still somehow work out for him in Chicago?

Given the fact that the team across town recently won a World Series, has that put any more pressure on management or the team to win one? Or are they pretty much business as usual about matters?

Thanks again!

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Postby Rondon Fan » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:27 am

Len,

Do you think Neifi Perez will start?

What do you think of Jacque Jones?

Can Kerry Wood and Mark Prior manage to stay healthy?

Thanks again for doing this!

-Aramis Fan
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

ZMovieman
Starter
Location: What Should Be Brewers Country, If Brewers Fans Existed

Postby ZMovieman » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:34 pm

Hey Len. Marquette student here. What's your take on the whole Prior for Tejada rumors that have flown about the past few weeks? Do you feel it was blown out of proportions? Just wondering for your insight. Also, what other sports and/or teams do you follow closely? Thanks. We are Marquette.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:20 pm

Len,

Thank you so much for answering our questions. The first question is one that my buddy the Cards fan and I argued about last July. I'd like a 2nd opinion. The 2nd question is a serious one (believe it or not, I have always wanted to know).

1. Who would win in this tag-team wrestling match: Barrett & Aramis vs. Pujols and Rolen?
2. When the team you are being paid to call on a daily basis goes through a horrible streak where absolutely nothing goes right and they look like little leaguers, exactly how hard is it to not scream "YOU SUCK" into the microphone?

Oscargolfstud
bench player

Postby Oscargolfstud » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:11 am

Len,
Why is Hendry so hell-bent on trading Todd Walker? Last offseason he placed alot of emphasis on balancing the lineup and without Walker we have no left-handed pop in the 2-6 spots other than JJ. We need that other left-handed stick...don't you agree?

TheDude
All-Star

Postby TheDude » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:13 pm

Len, it appears the Cubs have made lateral or minor improvements in each of LF,RF,CF, and SS, without making a major improvement anywhere, but also without taking any steps backward at any position (from last year's production anyway).

Likewise, the bullpen is improved by summation of all moves made (and maturation of previous moves, like Williamson).

Do you think these minor improvements or lateral moves improve the product the team puts on the field in 2006? Or do you see the transactions differently (as in you think the team has made a great improvement or taken a step back somewhere)? Lastly, do you believe its enough to compete for the division?

Thanks.

Mark Prior's Calves
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mark Prior's Calves » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:33 pm

Len,

Thanks for stopping by for a Q+A session. Can you walk us through your average day at Wrigley Field? What time do you arrive? What's is your pre-game routine, etc.? Thanks.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Len,

If you ever have occasion to talk with Corey again, can you pass along our best wishes and thanks for his efforts as a Cub?

Thanks!
Spoiler: show

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:10 pm

Len,

Has Dusty ever offered to take you fishing? How about Bob? Would you go if he did?

Also, do you know what this

"It's just like fishing. You're going striped bass fishing. You've got birds on top and you follow the birds. Where the birds are, the bait fish are below that. Below the bait fish are the striped bass. That's what you want to do. That's how you want to do your lineup. That way they can't escape. That's how I try to make my lineup out so the opposition can't pitch around this guy or that guy and that guy and can't escape. You try to get them in the crossfire."
means? I have no clue and thought you could help?

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:44 pm

Dear 1/3 of the Holy Trinity,

Do you like Kelly Clarkson?

Who do you think is the best pitcher in the game, and the best position player?

Any thoughts on the Marlins fire sale, round 2?

You've seen Juan Pierre play a lot more than any of us have. Is he a sparkplug that makes things happen and puts the fear of KENT in the hearts of pitchers while he's on first base; or is just an average at best centerfielder that the Cubs overpaid for?

Is Bob Brenly as much a ladies man as I envision him?

If you were a closer, what would be the music you'd enter the game with?

Has this gig given you new celebrity Cubs fan friends? ie Bill Murray, Billy Corgan, Jeff Garlin...and if it's Jeff Garlin, have you asked him what was the deal with season 4 of Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Not a question...more a favor. Next time you're broadcasting a Cincy game (opening day!!), if Kent Mercker comes out of the bullpen to pitch, could you acknowledge that Kent still has MANY loyal Cubs fans still supporting him? It'd mean a lot.

Good luck in 2006!
Do it for Kent.

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:17 pm

A few more questions:

Len, do you anticipate the Cubs making any more moves between now and the start of spring training?

How much contact do you keep with the Cubs and front office personell during the off-season? Do you get any "inside" scoops or do you find out about trades and signings through the Interent and print media like the rest of us peons?

What's your favorite restaurant in the Chicago area?

Have you ever eated boiled crawfish? (mmmm crawfish) If so, did you suck the heads?

Who's the better golfer between you and Bob?

On Opening Day, I think it would be cool if you, Bob, Pat Hughes and Ron Santo challenged Marty Brennamen and the rest of the Reds crew to caged tag-team wrestling match. What do you think? Who would win?

Finaly, what is your prediction of the Cubs record and finish within the division for this season?

vance_the_cubs_fan

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:12 pm

I figured we'd have more questions here. Should I ask more?

Mark_R
5-Time All-Star

Postby Mark_R » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:39 pm

Len, great to see you Q&A'in it up again. Much appreciation for your time.

What were your thoughts on the whole Kerry Wood experiment out of the bullpen? It proved to be a minor shot in the arm (no pun intended at the time) but in the grand scheme of things was pretty insignificant as the Cubs faltered further and further. On top of that, do you feel it was wise AT ALL to have Woody going out there to pitch the day before he's to have surgery on his arm?

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:46 pm

Len,

Who do you think is the Cubs' best off-season acquisition (trade or free agent) this year?

Do you think Dusty will give both Murton and Cedeno regular playing time?

Great to have you do another Q & A.
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Laura
Superstar

Postby Laura » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:56 pm

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:I figured we'd have more questions here. Should I ask more?

There's another week for people to get them in (deadline is January 18).
Last edited by Laura on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

VVMattVV
Starter

Postby VVMattVV » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:25 pm

If you could play one position in the majors, what would it be?

How closely do you follow the Cubs farm system and its top prospects?

Some of us here spotted you at the Bulls game recently, how was that?

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:42 pm

Firstly, Mega Lounge Love to da Len

Secondovely, how do you prefer Brenly, with the "Fu-Manchu-Tombstone mustache", or with the "Youth Pastor-Boring" mustache?

Thirdly, are you upset that Arrested Development had its episode order shortened? Where do you think it ends up, Showtime or ABC?

Fourthly, did you get a chance to catch any of "The Comedians of Comedy" when it was running on Comedy Central? And, if so, what do you think of Zach Galifinakis?

Fifthly, do you consider "Worlds coolest daddy" a job?

Thanks Len
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Ivy Walls
Role Player

Len Q:

Postby Ivy Walls » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:23 pm

Where (and why) do you see things improving in the Cubs game(s):

A) Infield defense
B) Outfield defense
C) scoring more runs especially without the aid of a HR
D) bullpen efficiency

USSoccer
Superstar

Postby USSoccer » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:25 pm

Len

Thanks for taking time out to talk to us!

Did you ever question using Kerry Wood in the bullpen last season even though it was public knowledge that he needed shoulder surgery?

Describe and evaluate Aramis Ramirez. He's a much better player than I think anyone realizes, and I think he's a bit underrated by some.
Jay Cutler - "A Cat" - Jay Cutler is a cat.

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:59 pm

Hey Len,

Thanks for answering our questions.

Do you see the NL Central weaker than it was last year, especially in regards to the Cardinals? If so, how do you like our chances and who will be our main competition?

What is your favorite foreign country? If none, what is your favorite city outside of Chicago?

What advice would you give to someone interested in becoming a sportscaster like yourself?

If the Cubs could acquire one currently active pitcher for next season, regardless of contract or price, who would you choose?

Thanks Len! You really take a lot of time out to answer our questions and we really appreciate it!

Return to “Chats”