2006 Diamond Jaxx/Iowa Cubs Journal: Randy Wells

Chris
Superstar

2006 Diamond Jaxx/Iowa Cubs Journal: Randy Wells

Postby Chris » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:57 pm

In 2003, Randy Wells was converted to a pitcher after catching in 42 games in the 2002-2003 seasons in the Cubs' organization. Last season, Randy went 10-3 with a 2.83 between the Daytona Cubs and the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx.

At Media Day, Randy offered to provide a glimpse inside the life of a professional baseball player as he offered to provide journal entries through the 2006 Diamond Jaxx season. NSBB is thrilled to have Randy as a special guest contributor and wish him and the rest of the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx nothing but the best in the 2006 season!

A very special thank you to Randy for taking the time to share his thoughts with us here at NSBB. A special thank you also goes out to the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx. As always, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful community!
Last edited by Chris on Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:52 am

AWESOME!

Bear Cub
Role Player

Postby Bear Cub » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:00 pm

I met Randy Wells parents at a game in Davenport Ia when he was playing for Lansing and was still catching. Great people. They well going to deliver his car to Lansing after that game. i think within a week after that, he was assigned to Boise. It really struck home as to the life of a minor lge player. Here today, gone tomorrow.
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:58 pm

Randy is one of my faves in the minor league system (sure seems like I have a lot), so this is definitely very cool.

TenzilKem
Starter

Postby TenzilKem » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:58 am

I look forward to reading this.
''I don't want to say fat. I want to say overweight. Fat is when a person is like Quevedo.''

--Carlos Zambrano

brinoch
5-Time All-Star

Postby brinoch » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:44 pm

Should be awesome. Thanks a bunch.

Being a minor leaguer must be pretty tough. You're always moving around (slowly), living out of bags, not making a lot of money, and you're under constant scrutiny by the organization.

Good luck, and we'll be pulling for you.

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:11 pm

Here is Randy's first entry in his 2006 Diamond Jaxx Journal:

Hello NSBB readers, my name is Randy Wells, I am a right handed starting pitcher for the Diamond Jaxx. I was asked to write a couple of journals to give the readers of Northside Baseball an inside look not only to my daily routine throughout the season but an overall look at the life of a minor league baseball player, and the struggles we go through.

By the time spring training rolls around most players are ready to roll. An off-season of working and working out to stay in shape takes its toll on you and when you get that package in the mail with your flight info, needless to say you can't wait to go. Spring training this year was a little different for me this year. I was invited to my first big league spring training. When a young guy like me walked in to that clubhouse in Mesa for the first time I was just amazed. There is definitely only one place you want to be in this game and that is in the big leagues. To get a taste of the good life was an amazing experience for me and truly made me realize the focus I had to keep and the hard work that was still ahead to achieve the ultimate goal of being a major league pitcher.

Back in the minors, here in Jackson, TN, the team got off to a great start despite having to open up with 15 of our first 20 games on the road, including a ten game road trip to kick off the 2006 campaign. The Southern League travel for me hasn't been too bad having played in the Northwest League earlier in my career, but I have to admit I got a little spoiled with the Florida State League travel last season. I think what a lot of fans don't realize is how hard the in between game-to-game life of a minor league baseball player can be. When we're on the field you have your ups and downs, the team isn't winning or on a personal level you are not performing the way you would like. All of that hangs enough stress over your head but when you mix in the off the field battles you sometimes come across, the six month season turns into a never ending grind after awhile. For example, right now my roommate Tony Richie and I are still in the process of finding a place to live in Jackson for the summer.

So far this year had started off pretty well for me despite losing my first start of the year, I had a quality start giving up one run on three hits over five innings. We ended up taking four of five from Birmingham, the Class AA affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. I am from Illinois myself and being a Cubs fan I know how you diehards like to hear the Cubs beat up on the Sox, even if it is at the minor league level. My second start went better than the first one as far as results, I got my first win to the season against the Tennessee Smokies, Class AA affiliate of the Arizona Diamondbacks, and the team won another series.

It was the day after my start in Tennessee that I had started feeling some unusual soreness in my throwing arm. So I went to the trainer and he suggested that I see a doctor when we returned to Jackson. The doctor revealed that I had a mild strain of my ucl. ulnar collateral ligament, also the same ligament in regards to Tommy John surgery. Once that was revealed the doctors and trainers decided to take extra precaution and keep me out of the series against the Mississippi Braves -- the first homestand of the season. I was a little upset about the decision, but after the fact I know that is was the best thing for me.

I never like missing starts because I know first hand what happens when you hit the DL. Someone is always looking to pass you up. I am feeling better now after rehabbing for the last two weeks and I am scheduled to throw in relief this weekend and should make my next start. I am looking to have a huge year this year and fight my way to Chicago, to know that websites like this have great fans of the minor leagues really inspires and gives minor leaguers like me pride in doing what I do. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings and I look forward to sharing more later on down the line. Thank you. RW

Slugger_16
5-Time All-Star

Postby Slugger_16 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:47 pm

That was very cool. I enjoyed the read, and I look forward to future journals.

Jon
Hall of Fame

Postby Jon » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:51 pm

It was. Great read. Thanks, Randy!

Laura
Superstar

Postby Laura » Mon May 01, 2006 4:34 pm

Fun to read. Thanks!
I'm only here for the Dongs.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon May 01, 2006 6:12 pm

Excellent. Thanks Randy.

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Mon May 29, 2006 11:34 pm

Here is Randy's second installment of his 2006 Jaxx Journal. I look forward to an update on housewars! Thanks Randy!

Hello NSBB readers,

The season is well underway now right at fifty games now if I counted correctly. We are hanging in there pretty good in the first half. I think when I checked tonight we are three games back of Chattanooga in the hunt to win the first half. We have had a little of everything in Jackson so far this year. As most of you know my good friend and big time prospect Brian Dopirak broke his foot in the first game of the season. The team moved on and got some power help in the middle of the lineup from Micah Hoffpauir and some clutch hitting through out the lineup. Micah and Luis Montanez have since moved up to Iowa, in return we got some more help to the lineup with Brandon Sing and Adam Greenberg. Our starting pitching has been solid all year long as has our bullpen. As of today we were leading the league in ERA. We have been playing a lot of close good ballgames and it has been great to watch and be around. The word is Dopirak will be back in a week, we could really use his bat in the lineup again and his presence in the clubhouse should really get things going again. On a more personal note, since coming off the D.L. I have been pitching pretty well. My arm has healed nicely and I have not felt any discomfort. I have felt really comfortable on the mound and my confidence in my teammates has really contributed to the success I have had so far. The group of guys on the team are great and the atmosphere in the clubhouse carries on to the field. It really makes my job a lot easier when you know you don’t have to be perfect with every pitch knowing that you have eight guys behind you that will make routine and unbelievable plays, and score runs for you. So far I am really pleased with my start to the season. Besides the short stint on the D.L. I have made quality starts and have been able to keep guys off base and keep them from scoring and keep the team in the games I pitch. As for the off the field stuff there’s not much to report. We finally found an apartment in Jackson. I still can’t believe how hard it was to find an apartment. Me, Tony Richie, and Chris Shaver are sharing an apartment in town. Hopefully our household can hold its own in the upcoming house wars. Some guys on the team who live in the apartment below us have challenged us to a series of housewars. The first event of a three event series is bowling. I believe miniature golf and paintball are the other two events. We might have to keep the paintball quiet around Listach. I will have to let you know how it turns out, I am pretty confident in our apt. Well until next time, hope all is well. Thanks again. RW

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue May 30, 2006 12:09 am

Thanks DJAXX and thanks, Randy!

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Tue May 30, 2006 9:36 am

Good to read that Dopirak seems close to returning. Hopefully he can pick up from his good Spring Training and rebound from last year.
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Jon
Hall of Fame

Postby Jon » Wed May 31, 2006 6:42 pm

Haha. Awesome. Thanks, Randy!

sethuel1
5-Time All-Star

Postby sethuel1 » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:50 am

I think Listach will probably know when you all show up with small welts. Or when someone tells him about this website.
"Well, he's a natural infielder, so for him playing first base is probably a little easier than playing third base." -Joe Morgan

"He can load it up and put some weight in his pants when he wants to." -Phil Simms

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:45 am

This was asked in a recent thread and I figured I would post the question and response from Randy here:

"So, what is the scouting report on Wells, anyway? What's his second pitch, slider or curve? I'm think slider, but I'm not so sure... How fast is he? Is he still your standard 88-93 guy? He was something of a flyball guy last year; still true? For having his own diary thing and whatnot, and despite how good has stats have been, I've gotten very little scouting info on him.

I was pretty interested in him back at Peoria (or was it Lansing?) two years ago. I recall two game reports, one said he was mostly 88-90 for velocity and didn't show anything very attention-getting; the other said he threw some 90-92. I seem to have some idea from Daytona getting a report of 89-93 for velocity, but other than a couple of references to what nice mechanics he had and how aggressive he was, I didn't get much else."

I usually sit at 88 to 92, somewhere in that range. I throw a slider and a changeup. My changeup is my second-best pitch. I use it a lot more than the slider. I use the slider in fastball counts along with the changeup, the slider to put away righties and backdoor to lefties. I use my changeup any time and in any count when things are going good.

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:39 pm

Going to AAA! Congratulations Randy!

TXCubsFan
Starter

Postby TXCubsFan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:41 pm

MiLB interview with Randy Wells.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/index.jsp

Return to “Chats”