Questions & Answers with Micah Hoffpauir

Laura
Superstar

Questions & Answers with Micah Hoffpauir

Postby Laura » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:14 pm

Micah Hoffpauir, the First Baseman for the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx, has graciously agreed to answer questions from posters on NSBB! If you would like to ask him a question, feel free to post it here. The deadline for submitting questions is 12-noon on Thursday, May 4. Once Micah has had an opportunity to answer them, the responses will be posted in the Chats Forum.

This session will be coordinated as in accordance with The NSBB Q & A Guidelines.

From the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx website:
Height: 6-3
Weight: 195
Bats: Left
Throws: Left
DOB: 3/1/1980
Resides: Jacksonville, TX

Acquired:
Selected by Cubs in 13th round of 2002 draft

Bio:
2003: Earned Florida State League midseason all-star honors and was named "Star of Stars" (MVP) of the all-star game...Pitched in 1 game for Daytona (A).

2002: Selected to Northwest League postseason all-star team...Pitched in 1 game for Boise (A)...Named to the American Baseball Coaches Association (ABCA) all-South Region team...Two time all-Southland Conference selection

Hoffpauir is currently leading the Southern League in home runs (7) and total bases (52) and is among the league leaders in RBIs and slugging percentage. (MiLB Stats Link). He was recently named the Southern League Hitter of the Week for Week 2:

Diamond Jaxx' first baseman Micah Hoffpauir enjoyed an outstanding week at the plate, hitting .414 with 4 HR, 11 RBI and 8 runs scored to earn BC Hitter of the Week honors. He currently owns an 11-game on-base streak (April 13-current) and enjoyed most of a 9-game hitting streak (April 13-21) over the week. Hoffpauir homered in three consecutive games April 18-19. In the first game of a doubleheader April 18, he went 4-4 with a home run, 6 RBI, and 3 runs scored. The former Lamar University standout currently leads the league in home runs (6) and RBI (18 ) while ranking second in slugging percentage (.677) and runs scores (13), and is tied for third in extra-base hits (11). Hoffpauir was drafted by the Chicago Cubs in the 13th round of the 2002 draft.

Thank you to Micah for taking the time to interact with us on such an up close and personal level. As always, thanks to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful community! :D
I'm only here for the Dongs.

Flames24Rulz
Hall of Fame

Postby Flames24Rulz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:51 pm

Hi Micah!

First of all, congrats on the real fast start you are off to this year and hopefully it'll continue! I have a couple questions for you. Brian Dopirak got hurt on the first game of the year and you have filled in and done an amazing job. I saw in the game on April 29th against Jacksonville that you played in LF. Is the plan for you to move to the OF when Dopirak comes back? My other question is what is your timetable for the rest of this year? The Cubs as a whole have pretty solid First Basemen at every level. Do you have a goal to be up at Iowa by the end of the year or even possibly with the major league team on September 1st? Thanks and I wish the best of luck to you for the rest of the season!

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:04 pm

Thanks for participating on our board by answering questions.

Last year you played at Iowa, but got sent back to West Tenn this year. How do you put the disappointment of being moved back a level behind you? Also, have the Cubs given you any idea what improvements to your game they want to see for you to resume upward progress?
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

karenmac
Starter

Postby karenmac » Mon May 01, 2006 7:03 am

Hi Micah!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer questions for us. Congratulations on your great start :)

I was wondering what it was like having a younger brother playing in the minors (and for the Cardinals org no less!). So often, we get to hear what it's like for the kid brother, but was curious about your experience as the elder sibling.

All the Best wishes for Future Success!
Karen

Jon
Hall of Fame

Postby Jon » Fri May 05, 2006 8:10 pm

I heard your interview with MLB.com radio and you said that some of the additional power might be a result of using your legs more. Has your approach at the plate changed at all from last year? Are you being more aggressive early in the count or is it really just the same approach but driving the ball a little further thanks to your legs?

How often do you talk with someone in the Cubs front office about how things are going and what your future might be? And when you do, is that usually Fleita or someone else?

Have you had a chance to make it to Wrigley since you became a member of the Cubs? If so, what was that like?

Thanks!

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Fri May 12, 2006 8:51 am

Although this session has reached the initial date to be closed, this thread will remain open to submit questions until Wednesday, May 17th.

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Wed May 17, 2006 1:07 pm

In regards to this Q & A, it will now be completed through the e-mail. Since it would be a shame to close his Q & A without giving the opportunity for people to send their best wishes on the call to AAA, this thread will be locked on Sunday, May 21st at 10:00 p.m. CT

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Wed May 17, 2006 1:23 pm

Micah,

Congrats on the call-up.

How does it feel to be one more step closer to realizing the dream of being a major league baseball player?

Also, you've played already at both AA and AAA. What's the difference in the two levels? What have you learned since your last time in Iowa that you think will help you this time around?

goony's evil twin
Hall of Fame

Postby goony's evil twin » Wed May 17, 2006 2:22 pm

Micah, how quickly after a major leaguer gets injured do you, or other prospects, start thinking about how it could affect your career? I know you don't openly wish for injuries to others, and you probably feel bad for a guy that does go down, but at some point you have to think about what kind of positive can come from it, including a potential call-up to the majors.

NCCubFan
Hall of Fame

Postby NCCubFan » Thu May 18, 2006 1:42 am

Congratulations on making it back to Iowa. Having yourself been sent back to West Tenn to start the year after spending most of last year at Iowa, are you able to give any advice/encouragement to Brandon and Adam to help them deal with the disappointment of being moved down?
Beautiful words: Former GM Jim Hendry

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Tue May 30, 2006 10:27 am

Q & A with Micah Hoffpauir
May 2006

From Flames24Rulz:

Hi Micah!

First of all, congrats on the real fast start you are off to this year and hopefully it'll continue! I have a couple questions for you. Brian Dopirak got hurt on the first game of the year and you have filled in and done an amazing job. I saw in the game on April 29th against Jacksonville that you played in LF. Is the plan (Edit: Was the plan) for you to move to the OF when Dopirak comes (came) back? My other question is what is your timetable for the rest of this year? The Cubs as a whole have pretty solid First Basemen at every level.

Do you have a goal to be up at Iowa by the end of the year or even possibly with the major league team on September 1st? Thanks and I wish the best of luck to you for the rest of the season!

Thanks! I think the plan from the beginning of the season was for me to back-up Dopirak at first and get some at bats in the outfield. As far as when he came back I am not real sure what would happen. I was moved up to Iowa on May 18th and have played first base every game I have been in. I would Love to be called up to Chicago. To play at that level is everyone's dream. Thanks for the questions.

From karenmac:

Hi Micah!

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer questions for us. Congratulations on your great start

I was wondering what it was like having a younger brother playing in the minors (and for the Cardinals org no less!). So often, we get to hear what it's like for the kid brother, but was curious about your experience as the elder sibling.

All the Best wishes for Future Success!

Karen

Thanks! I think you have me confused with someone else. I did have a brother that played pro ball, but he was with the Cubs for one short season. I think you are talking about Jarret or Josh Hoffpauir. As far as I know they are no relation to me. Sorry. Thanks again.

From JonMDavis:

I heard your interview with MLB.com radio and you said that some of the additional power might be a result of using your legs more. Has your approach at the plate changed at all from last year? Are you being more aggressive early in the count or is it really just the same approach but driving the ball a little further thanks to your legs?

My approach at the plate is the same as it was last year, but I am not missing the pitches early in the count like I did last year. I really believe that is just the fact that I have started to use my legs. I worked really hard this off-season with my father and then at spring training with the hitting coaches there. It is something that I have gotten away with until last season. My legs for me are making all the difference in the world right now.

How often do you talk with someone in the Cubs front office about how things are going and what your future might be? And when you do, is that usually Fleita or someone else?

I try not to talk to them too often, when I do it is to Fleita. He is the guy in charge of the minors so everything goes through him. As for my future, I think it is in my own hands. If I play and put up numbers then things will go well. If not then, I think we all know the answer to that.

Have you had a chance to make it to Wrigley since you became a member of the Cubs? If so, what was that like?

Thanks!

I have been to Wrigley one time with my wife. It was a surprise trip from my wife. We went to the game and saw them play the Braves. It was fun. Thanks!

From vance_the_cubs_fan:

Micah,

Congrats on the call-up.

How does it feel to be one more step closer to realizing the dream of being a major league baseball player?

Thanks! It feels good to be one step closer, but it would feel better to get the chance to prove myself at the big league level. I am looking forward to that chance.

Also, you've played already at both AA and AAA. What's the difference in the two levels? What have you learned since your last time in Iowa that you think will help you this time around?

The main difference between the two levels is the way you are pitched. In AAA people are not as willing to give in and throw you the fastball on hitters counts (2-0,3-1). The travel is also different. In AA you ride busses and in AAA you fly. I am not sure which is easier on the body yet. HA! I think the fact that I am more confident in my swing and what I am doing. Thanks again!

From goony's evil twin:

Micah, how quickly after a major leaguer gets injured do you, or other prospects, start thinking about how it could affect your career? I know you don't openly wish for injuries to others, and you probably feel bad for a guy that does go down, but at some point you have to think about what kind of positive can come from it, including a potential call-up to the majors.

As a minor league player or anyone you never want to see someone get hurt, but you have to realize that may be a chance for you to prove yourself at the major league level. When we see someone go down it is almost instant that rumors start to fly. You almost have to expect to be called up so it is not such a shock when your are. Once again I and most other people do not like to see anyone get hurt, but you have to understand it is part of the game. Thanks!

From NCCubbieFan:

Thanks for participating on our board by answering questions.

Last year you played at Iowa, but got sent back to West Tenn this year. How do you put the disappointment of being moved back a level behind you? Also, have the Cubs given you any idea what improvements to your game they want to see for you to resume upward progress?

Thanks! One thing I have learned about this game is that it is a business just like any other. You have to learn to control the things you can and not worry about what you can not. It took me a while to see that, but I think I have a pretty good grasp of it now. They have been very complimentary of my power numbers. I think that will help in my progress back up the chain.

Congratulations on making it back to Iowa. Having yourself been sent back to West Tenn to start the year after spending most of last year at Iowa, are you able to give any advice/encouragement to Brandon and Adam to help them deal with the disappointment of being moved down?

As for Adam and Brandon all I can say is to keep you head up and play hard. It all goes back to controlling what you can. If they let it tear them down it will. I know it got to me last year when I was moved down to West Tenn. Thanks again.

Thanks for all the questions. I hope I answered them thoroughly enough. If not feel free to send them back with what you would like for me to answer. Thanks again and I will talk to you all soon.

Micah Hoffpauir

Return to “Chats”