May 2006: Interview with Ryan Theriot

Chris
Superstar

May 2006: Interview with Ryan Theriot

Postby Chris » Mon May 08, 2006 8:09 pm

On the afternoon of May 1, I had the great pleasure of visiting with Ryan Theriot before the Iowa Cubs played the Nashville Sounds. This interview was made possible due to the assistance of Jeff Lantz of the Iowa Cubs and Doug Scopel of the Nashville Sounds. A special thank you to Ryan for taking time to answer some questions. In addition, thank to you Ryan for his willingness to take part in a Question and Answer Session in the future! As always, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community!

Interview with Ryan Theriot
May 1, 2006

What was it like getting the call?

It was awesome, totally unexpected. It was a great opportunity to go up there and show what I could do. Luckily I got some chances and took advantage of them and learned a lot.

Who was the most helpful to you once you made it to the Major Leagues?

There were a lot of guys that reached out. I talked to Greg Maddux a little bit. Jerry Hairston was real good to me and Todd Walker was as well. I had a lot of guys to make me feel at home.

Best lessons they taught you?

To relax and play your game and let the game come to you. Obviously, when you get up there you want to do so much, maybe go out of the realm of what you do well. But if what you do is good enough to get you there it’s good enough to keep you here.

Sometimes Managers take more than their fair share of criticism and certainly Dusty Baker has taken possibly more than his fair share. After playing for him last year, what are your thoughts of Dusty Baker?

It’s tough managing the game. Last year I was lucky enough to get the opportunity to kind of sit with the Coach in Jackson on a couple of my days off. Bobby Dickerson gave me the chance to make some decisions during the game. It was great because someone that has never gone through that before doesn’t realize what goes in to it. One pitch could totally change the outcome of the game.

Were you prepping yourself to be a Manager someday?

I don’t know, I think he just wanted to keep me in the game. I think he wanted to teach me some of the things that we as players don’t see. I don’t know about pro coaching. I guess it may be fun but I haven’t got that far yet.

Was it hard to motivate yourself to play in the minors again after getting a taste of the Big Leagues?

Not at all, you know that the light looks like at the end of the tunnel and it’s not a mystery anymore. For all those who have been there, they know that once you get up there, you really want to get back. That gives you a lot of motivation.

What was the biggest difference to you between AAA and the Majors?

The consistency on a day to day basis with the positions and the hitters and pitchers as well. The guys down here are just as hungry as they are up there, it’s pretty similar in that regard.

Biggest difference between the Southern League & the PCL?

Breaking balls in fastball counts. Pitchers are pretty similar in that they are a little more consistent in that they’re there everyday, the bullpens are a lot better.

No doubt you know the nickname. What do you think when you hear people refer to you as “The Riot”?

I’ve had that for a long time, that was coined a long time ago. It’s good if it’s given in good context, I love it. Anything is better than nothing. I don’t care what you call me as long as you’re calling my name I’m in good shape.

Biggest goal for this season?

Obviously to get back to Chicago and win. I want those guys to win. All of our goals in the Minor Leagues is to do what we can to help the Cubs win. Once that happens everything will start rolling.

Return to “Chats”