May 2006: Interview with Felix Pie

Chris
Superstar

May 2006: Interview with Felix Pie

Postby Chris » Tue May 30, 2006 2:39 pm

On the afternoon of May 1, I had the great pleasure of visiting with Felix Pie before the Iowa Cubs played the Nashville Sounds. This interview was made possible due to the assistance of Jeff Lantz of the Iowa Cubs and Doug Scopel of the Nashville Sounds. A special thank you to Felix for taking time to answer some questions. As always, thank you to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community!

Interview with Felix Pie
May 1, 2006

What skills do you most need to work on before reaching the major league level?

I need to work on my base running and bunting skills a little bit and my discipline at home plate.

Have the Cubs given you any indication of when you may get called up?

They haven't told me anything.

Was it much of an adjustment coming back this year after being injured much of last year?

I'm forgetting what happened last season and focusing my mind on this season and being ready.

What did Vince Coleman mean when he said that you'll be the Michael Jordan of baseball?

[laughs] Yeah, he told me that, but, you know, it shows me that he’s seen me play and he’s seen that I’m determined and play like Michael Jordan in basketball, you know, and then be like a Michael Jordan.

Which Major League city have you enjoyed playing in the most along the way.

Chicago.

Do you have a favorite baseball player?

Ken Griffey Jr.

What’s it's like to get all this attention you have been receiving? You were relatively unknown when you signed w/ the cubs, but when one of our site users saw you in Mesa this spring, fans were following you everywhere, even recognizing you in street clothes.

Every baseball player is blessed for the fans. It drives me. Every town we go in, all of the people people like me, so I like it. I want to be in Chicago and see what happens.

What is it like to know that everyone knows who you are?

It makes me happy, it makes you walk in everyday, show everybody what you do, and be ready and show everybody when I come to the big leagues.

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Tue May 30, 2006 2:48 pm

Thanks DJaxx!

How did Pie strike you?

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Tue May 30, 2006 2:49 pm

augh bunting! Ok, he said plate discipline too (breathe breathe)

Chris
Superstar

Postby Chris » Tue May 30, 2006 5:07 pm

Outshined_One wrote:Thanks DJaxx!

How did Pie strike you?

I enjoyed my visit with him. He finished his fielding & workouts in the outfield then came to the dugout before going out for BP. Before taking some questions, he made it a point to sign several autographs for fans standing at the end of the visitor's dugout.

One thing that you miss from reading the sessions is that you don't hear the tone of voice from the person as they answer the questions. Felix seems to have a good level of humility and dedication about himself. It was apparent after the session during BP that he has a great relationship with the other guys on the team. After the game, he made it a point to sign autographs on the way to the team bus to the hotel.

wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Postby wvcbxl » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:30 am

DJAXXFAN wrote:One thing that you miss from reading the sessions is that you don't hear the tone of voice from the person as they answer the questions. Felix seems to have a good level of humility and dedication about himself.

Delighted to hear that. Thanks for passing the information, DJAXX.
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

Return to “Chats”