Random Rants

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Re: Random Rants

Postby biittner77 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:25 am

Careless wrote:
biittner77 wrote:Imagine how dull a book about Space invaders would be:

"The Aliens, in their custom four by 12 formation flew to the right of the screen as though they were marching, all the while pelting Steve's three meager barricades with their photo plasma blasts. Steve returned fire which was difficult because of the perpetually moving targets. The aliens, having reached the furthest extent of the right flank descended toward Steve's position. Their relentless barrage further withering the last vestiges of Steve's defenses."

Somebody bought my 7 year old a bunch of story books based on Minecraft. The stories are Steve doing the things that people do when they're playing Minecraft. The print is like a 6 font and it's chock full of jargon from the game such as Griefers and Ghasts. I wish I could adequately convey how awful they are and how much I dread reading them to him.

Oh my god, my daughter loves minecraft content. It's ridiculous. She watches people playing minecraft, she listens to minecraft songs, she checks out books about it from the library... and I haven't seen her play it for at least a month

MineCraft Legos and the circle is complete
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:34 pm

biittner77 wrote:
Careless wrote:

"The Aliens, in their custom four by 12 formation flew to the right of the screen as though they were marching, all the while pelting Steve's three meager barricades with their photo plasma blasts. Steve returned fire which was difficult because of the perpetually moving targets. The aliens, having reached the furthest extent of the right flank descended toward Steve's position. Their relentless barrage further withering the last vestiges of Steve's defenses."

Somebody bought my 7 year old a bunch of story books based on Minecraft. The stories are Steve doing the things that people do when they're playing Minecraft. The print is like a 6 font and it's chock full of jargon from the game such as Griefers and Ghasts. I wish I could adequately convey how awful they are and how much I dread reading them to him.

Oh my god, my daughter loves minecraft content. It's ridiculous. She watches people playing minecraft, she listens to minecraft songs, she checks out books about it from the library... and I haven't seen her play it for at least a month

My son got a ton of those for Xmas.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:39 pm

i really wish teenage/early 20's me would have flossed. dental work sucks.
Do it for Kent.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:52 pm

rocket wrote:i really wish teenage/early 20's me would have flossed. dental work sucks.

It's coming for me...I'm delaying the inevitable.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:00 pm

I'm about 3 years into my now regular dental visits. It's worth it because my teeth finally feel great and I can do stuff like bite into an apple and not worry. But making up for the lost time is kind of a pain. Getting my wisdom teeth taken out about 10 years after they already should have been removed was a chore, and I discovered getting my fillings replaced is more of a hassle than the root canal. I don't really regret a lot from my youth except my dental hygiene.
Do it for Kent.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:21 pm

so happy I never had a lag between childhood dental visits and adulthood. I know a few people that had to have massive work done in their late 20s and it looks like it sucked
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:58 pm

I'm really pushing my luck with the dentist; in the last 12 or so years I've been to the dentist a whopping 3 times. 2 checkups and having my wisdom teeth yanked. I take good care of them in terms of brushing and flossing at least twice a day and I have, thankfully, no obvious problems, but I really need to stop "forgetting" about going.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm really pushing my luck with the dentist; in the last 12 or so years I've been to the dentist a whopping 3 times. 2 checkups and having my wisdom teeth yanked. I take good care of them in terms of brushing and flossing at least twice a day and I have, thankfully, no obvious problems, but I really need to keep "forgetting" about going.

Yep...I've only been once since I was a kid, and got one of my wisdom teeth pulled cuz it'd grown in far enough to hit the opposite gum...but since it was grown in, it was an easy extraction. I know my others are impacted, and are going to be a problem when I get them taken care of.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:25 pm

You guys are making me feel better about my current span of about a year or so since going to the dentist. I lost faith in my last dentist after they kept pushing the pricey mouthguard on me, and haven't bothered to find a new one since moving. I have crappy dental hygiene though so I should really get back on that horse.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:29 pm

I go twice a year like I'm supposed to, but I know I have receding gums and am dreading any kind of skin graft surgery. That sounds awful

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:37 pm

Derwood wrote:I go twice a year like I'm supposed to, but I know I have receding gums and am dreading any kind of skin graft surgery. That sounds awful

https://youtu.be/p5vmBL3KisI

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:39 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm really pushing my luck with the dentist; in the last 12 or so years I've been to the dentist a whopping 3 times. 2 checkups and having my wisdom teeth yanked. I take good care of them in terms of brushing and flossing at least twice a day and I have, thankfully, no obvious problems, but I really need to keep "forgetting" about going.

Yep...I've only been once since I was a kid, and got one of my wisdom teeth pulled cuz it'd grown in far enough to hit the opposite gum...but since it was grown in, it was an easy extraction. I know my others are impacted, and are going to be a problem when I get them taken care of.

I had all 4 removed in one go and it went amazingly well. I woke up right away in the recovery room and felt clear-headed the rest of the day. No terrible swelling or infection or anything and was gingerly eating sold foods again within a day. No pain and minimal bleeding. Based on how horribly it went for literally everyone else I know who has had more than one removed in the same go, this is the one time I felt like I had a Wolverine-like healing factor.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:02 am

Derwood wrote:I go twice a year like I'm supposed to, but I know I have receding gums and am dreading any kind of skin graft surgery. That sounds awful

I had a similar problem and started going 4 times a year for about 3 years. It worked and my gums are fine though I still go 3 times a year to make sure that there's no regression. Switching to a rotating head electric toothbrush helped a lot too.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:52 am

biittner77 wrote:
Careless wrote:

Ha, that was some of her Christmas presents. I haven't seen her play minecraft in a month, but she's watched dozens of hours of those videos and played with the legos for hours. I don't get it, but parents aren't supposed to, I guess.
We are doomed.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:39 pm

He got tired of hearing the Stampy cat Minecraft videos so my 17yo son bought his 7yo brother headphones for Christmas. Now we just hear him laughing his head off without any context.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:42 pm

biittner77 wrote:He got tired of hearing the Stampy cat Minecraft videos so my 17yo son bought his 7yo brother headphones for Christmas. Now we just hear him laughing his head off without any context.

Walking through the toy section of Walmart with my son and it was pointed out to me that they now make figures of Youtuber Minecraft characters.

https://tubeheroes.com/heroes

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:22 pm

biittner77 wrote:He got tired of hearing the Stampy cat Minecraft videos so my 17yo son bought his 7yo brother headphones for Christmas. Now we just hear him laughing his head off without any context.

Same

Return to “Rants”