Charter (and all internet/phone/tv companies)

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Re: Charter (and all internet/phone/tv companies)

Postby Soul » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:26 am

BeertownCubbie wrote:I've never heard of Charter

4th largest in the nation. DirecTV made a big deal out of the fact that they filed for Chpt 11 a year or so ago.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:36 am

I tried to get Comcast to cut me a new deal yesterday by talking up how I was going to RCN. They knocked about $25 a month off of my triple play package for the next year. I think I should have held out for more.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:40 am

Someone should start up a website that details exactly what you say, which options to choose, etc for each cable company to get them to give you a discount.

hardcorecubfan
5-Time All-Star

Postby hardcorecubfan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:42 am

It is amazing that , as americans, we accept what cable companies do. The charge us for their product and then they show 45 minutes of commercial time to us as well, in a sense we are paying for the product twice.
I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Meathead

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:46 am

That's now how it works at all since, for one, the cable companies aren't the ones showing the commercials.

Do you think it means you paid for your TV twice, too?
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:47 am

what the [expletive]
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Burtonbell
All-Star

Postby Burtonbell » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:21 am

I'm thinking of switching to U Verse from Comcast in the Chicago land area. My in-laws are the only ones I know that have U Verse. Anyone else here have/had it? Any pros or cons compared to Comcast? I am not worried about the only 1 HD TV in the house since I only have one HD TV anyways.
Go Blackhawks!

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:23 am

hardcorecubfan wrote:It is amazing that , as americans, we accept what cable companies do. The charge us for their product and then they show 45 minutes of commercial time to us as well, in a sense we are paying for the product twice.

That is awesome.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:44 am

Bob Sanders wrote:
hardcorecubfan wrote:It is amazing that , as americans, we accept what cable companies do. The charge us for their product and then they show 45 minutes of commercial time to us as well, in a sense we are paying for the product twice.

That is awesome.

I think he means just the ads that Cable companies put on for their own product (perhaps)? Everyone does that though.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:45 am

I assure you he probably doesn't.

hardcorecubfan
5-Time All-Star

Postby hardcorecubfan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Nuts&Gum wrote:That's now how it works at all since, for one, the cable companies aren't the ones showing the commercials.

Are you serious? Think about it, you just paid for the rights to a transmission of a signal to come into your house, so the cable company has just made a profit off you. Technically it is like a movie, if you pay for it, I don't expect it to be interupted by commercials. Yet, as Americans we tolerate being charged taxed (our time)by commercial advertisement. thus the cable companies are profiting twice from the same signal.\

Does HBO now have commercials on it?
I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Meathead

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:03 pm

This is amazing. He seemingly has no clue how commercials work.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Burtonbell wrote:I'm thinking of switching to U Verse from Comcast in the Chicago land area. My in-laws are the only ones I know that have U Verse. Anyone else here have/had it? Any pros or cons compared to Comcast? I am not worried about the only 1 HD TV in the house since I only have one HD TV anyways.

I had it here in St. Louis. I loved it. I got more for my money, hardly had any outages, and the customer service was better.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:16 pm

With a service like Cable, you are paying for their ability to engineer and deliver the breadth and scope of the options that you receive. They gather the signals together and deliver them to your home from a number of different sources. That's the value-add they provide over & above the commercial advertisements. Without that service, you'd be back to the locally broadcast signals, 3 or 4 channels worth.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:16 pm

Soul wrote:With a service like Cable, you are paying for their ability to engineer and deliver the breadth and scope of the options that you receive. They gather the signals together and deliver them to your home from a number of different sources. That's the value-add they provide over & above the commercial advertisements. Without that service, you'd be back to the locally broadcast signals, 3 or 4 channels worth.

Which also have commercials. WE NEED TO TEA PARTY THESE COMMERCIALS.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:31 pm

hardcorecubfan wrote:
Nuts&Gum wrote:That's now how it works at all since, for one, the cable companies aren't the ones showing the commercials.

Are you serious? Think about it, you just paid for the rights to a transmission of a signal to come into your house, so the cable company has just made a profit off you. Technically it is like a movie, if you pay for it, I don't expect it to be interupted by commercials. Yet, as Americans we tolerate being charged taxed (our time)by commercial advertisement. thus the cable companies are profiting twice from the same signal.\

mind = bottled

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Burtonbell wrote:I'm thinking of switching to U Verse from Comcast in the Chicago land area. My in-laws are the only ones I know that have U Verse. Anyone else here have/had it? Any pros or cons compared to Comcast? I am not worried about the only 1 HD TV in the house since I only have one HD TV anyways.

Don't bother, U-Verse shows commercials.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:53 pm

8-)

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:24 pm

i bought this toaster oven and i still have to pay tolls on the highway. it's like paying twice.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:51 pm

You pay tolls on the freeway and then they have the gall to charge you for gas too.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:55 pm

it's like rain on your wedding day

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:03 am

hardcorecubfan wrote:

Ok...I'd apparently ignored this thread for a few days...so this is a bit delayed, but I'm actually going to try to explain this, because I'm in that kind of mood I guess.

1. You are paying your cable company for providing the ability to receive television programming over their lines. They do not provide actual programming...just access to programming. They have minimal control over commercials.

2. You watch commercials to pay for the television channel's costs. Cable companies do not make money on commercials.

3. HBO/Showtime/etc, are pay stations. You pay extra specifically so you don't have to watch commercials. They don't rely on advertising revenue, which is why their shows can keep critically acclaimed shows on that don't do great ratings. So long as subscribership remains the same, then they're fine. With network tv, if the show has lower ratings but great critical acclaim, the advertising rate still drops, and the channel makes less money.

You're right in a way...you are being charged twice for your television viewing, but you're being charged by 2 different aspects of the television industry. Service provider, and programming provider. Both of them have to make money in order for you to receive television.

By the way, what movies are you going to where you aren't watching commercials? They may not be in the middle of the movie, but they're certainly before it, and in very many cases, embedded within it...

Also, this is not unique to Americans, as you implied.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:42 am

Yeah, that's right, the product placement -- which I find to be as disruptive as a commercial break if it's really blatant or just badly done. There's commercials everywhere, all kinds of creatively done advertising, whether you paid for no breaks or not.

For TV, the DVR has really changed my life. I just FF right through most commercial breaks. Sometimes I'll stop to watch a commercial that looks interesting, or whatever. I like having that choice. In a way, I'm paying DirecTV not just for access to shows, but also for access to the ability to override commercials if I want to.

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:45 am

Banedon wrote:
hardcorecubfan wrote:

Ok...I'd apparently ignored this thread for a few days...so this is a bit delayed, but I'm actually going to try to explain this, because I'm in that kind of mood I guess.

1. You are paying your cable company for providing the ability to receive television programming over their lines. They do not provide actual programming...just access to programming. They have minimal control over commercials.

2. You watch commercials to pay for the television channel's costs. Cable companies do not make money on commercials.

3. HBO/Showtime/etc, are pay stations. You pay extra specifically so you don't have to watch commercials. They don't rely on advertising revenue, which is why their shows can keep critically acclaimed shows on that don't do great ratings. So long as subscribership remains the same, then they're fine. With network tv, if the show has lower ratings but great critical acclaim, the advertising rate still drops, and the channel makes less money.

You're right in a way...you are being charged twice for your television viewing, but you're being charged by 2 different aspects of the television industry. Service provider, and programming provider. Both of them have to make money in order for you to receive television.

By the way, what movies are you going to where you aren't watching commercials? They may not be in the middle of the movie, but they're certainly before it, and in very many cases, embedded within it...

Also, this is not unique to Americans, as you implied.

fyi, the cable companies pay a set fee to the premium channels either yearly or quarterly, i'm not sure, i think yearly and then are tasked with filling up the boat, if you will, with as many subscriptions as possible.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:19 pm

sulleymon wrote:fyi, the cable companies pay a set fee to the premium channels either yearly or quarterly, i'm not sure, i think yearly and then are tasked with filling up the boat, if you will, with as many subscriptions as possible.

We're trying to keep it simple here, man.

Return to “Rants”