"we're a year ahead of schedule"

treebird
chinese food

"we're a year ahead of schedule"

Postby treebird » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:51 am

"the playoffs are gravy, just think how good we'll be next year"

i keep hearing this kind of loser talk among my friends/co-workers and it infuriates me. none of that is how baseball works. the cubs are really good right now -- if they get knocked out if the playoffs in the first round, that's terrible for them and us. nobody knows what the hell is going to happen next year, but i am sure the o/u for wins isn't 97.

every chance to win is precious. if we do nothing with this one, it's a huge disappointment. no sugarcoating.

David
Hall of Fame

Re: "we're a year ahead of schedule"

Postby David » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:55 am

yep. worst thing ever.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:08 pm

2012 Washington Nationals is the only needed response to any talk like this. Nothing is promised.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:16 pm

It's a mental defense mechanism against possible failure

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:41 pm

I agree.

They're clearly a good 3 years ahead of schedule.
:flythew: :flythew: :flythew: :flythew: :flythew: :flythew: :flythew: :flythew: :flythew: :flythew: :flythew:

ARCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ARCubsFan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:06 pm

But it's true. I know it doesn't sound good now but this year couldn't have gone more perfect for the Cubs short of a pennant and a title. There's no shame in losing to the Cardinals if it happens who have been a better team all year. Next year is when this all goes out the window and the Cubs need to win the division and go far in the postseason.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:14 pm

It boggles my mind that this guy even has 19 likes/hearts/whatever.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:38 pm

Defensive mechanism or not, this phrase deserves a pow right in the kisser. At the very least, boo them out of the office or at least until they start crying.

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:53 pm

ARCubsFan wrote:But it's true. I know it doesn't sound good now but this year couldn't have gone more perfect for the Cubs short of a pennant and a title. There's no shame in losing to the Cardinals if it happens who have been a better team all year. Next year is when this all goes out the window and the Cubs need to win the division and go far in the postseason.

No they weren't better all year, they just won more games. Cubs were better by metrics.

Also, you're a [expletive] idiot, go away.

ARCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ARCubsFan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:01 pm

New York Cubs Fan wrote:
ARCubsFan wrote:But it's true. I know it doesn't sound good now but this year couldn't have gone more perfect for the Cubs short of a pennant and a title. There's no shame in losing to the Cardinals if it happens who have been a better team all year. Next year is when this all goes out the window and the Cubs need to win the division and go far in the postseason.

No they weren't better all year, they just won more games. Cubs were better by metrics.

No, they were definitely better all year. They were the best team in baseball all year even with injuries. Both head to head vs the Cubs and the final record both tell the same story.

New York Cubs Fan
All-Star

Postby New York Cubs Fan » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:19 pm

ARCubsFan wrote:
New York Cubs Fan wrote:

No, they were definitely better all year. They were the best team in baseball all year even with injuries. Both head to head vs the Cubs and the final record both tell the same story.

Lol okay man. But nah.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Since the Cubs added Schwarber to the roster for good on July 15th, they were 50-25, the best record in baseball and 5 games better than the Cardinals. They've gone 25-10 with a 5-3 record against the Cardinals since adding Jackson, Rodney, and Cahill on August 31st. The early part of the season counts, but it's really silly to hold up the few games the Cards finished ahead as proof they're a definitively better team. If the season went 175 games there's a very real chance they wouldn't have won the division at all.

doublebubble
Starter

Postby doublebubble » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:33 pm

what about the term "cubs are playing with house money" or "they are too young and dumb to know any better." I know I heard that second one in 2003 when they were talking about the Marlins and specifically Miguel Cabrera.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Not to mention that this is stupid, but also it isn't addressing anything about why this thread was made.

There is no "schedule" to compete! Once you are good, then you are good. It doesn't matter if you didn't expect them to be good before the season. They are good now. This season could go more perfect. We could win the World Series. None of your preconceived notions about our "schedule" matter now.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:05 pm

ARCubsFan wrote:
New York Cubs Fan wrote:

somebody ban this [expletive] guy already

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:08 pm

treebird wrote:every chance to win is precious.

Thed Hoyerstein
Starter

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:56 am

David wrote:
ARCubsFan wrote:
New York Cubs Fan wrote:

does anyone think it's a coincidence that he hasn't logged in since 10/13 at 3:31, approximately 6 minutes before the first pitch of game 4?
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:58 am

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
David wrote:
ARCubsFan wrote:
New York Cubs Fan wrote:

does anyone think it's a coincidence that he hasn't logged in since 10/13 at 3:31, approximately 6 minutes before the first pitch of game 4?

I think somebody banned him
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:51 pm

so was arcubsfan really suspected of being a cardinals interloper? i always thought that was a meme we just went with
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:so was arcubsfan really suspected of being a cardinals interloper? i always thought that was a meme we just went with

same

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:26 pm

David wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:so was arcubsfan really suspected of being a cardinals interloper? i always thought that was a meme we just went with

same

Yeah, that was just a meme. You being a robot is true, though.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:27 pm

It was a just a joke. My guess is he got banned for being generally terrible, even by game thread-standards.

doublebubble
Starter

Postby doublebubble » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:45 pm

LOL, you missed it. I think it was either game 2 or 3 gamethread where ARCubsfan said here comes the 3 run homer(when the Cards were up), but he said it in a way that made him look like he was a Cards fan all along and Tim pulled the trigger.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:50 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Defensive mechanism or not, this phrase deserves a pow right in the kisser. At the very least, boo them out of the office or at least until they start crying.

Or maybe just tell them to enjoy the ride. We have all winter to ponder the unexpectedness of the Cubs awesome season and, if necessary, we can take consolation afterwards.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

CubmanPi
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubmanPi » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:24 pm

The deeper the Cubs get in the playoffs, the more irrationally angry I get whenever anyone brings up bttf2.

Return to “Rants”