NSBB added to Cubs Press Release Distribution List

Chris
Superstar

NSBB added to Cubs Press Release Distribution List

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:44 pm

On the night of April 17, I had the good pleasure of getting to visit with Julio Garcia, Dave Keller and Andy MacPhail at the home opener for the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx. This visit ultimately produced an impromptu interview with Andy MacPhail, President and CEO of the Chicago Cubs. This interview also produced a conversation about NSBB that included a discussion in regards to how the site could work closer with the Cubs organization in the future. Andy said to contact Sharon Pennozzo, Director of Media Relations for the Chicago Cubs.

After leaving a message the following afternoon, I received a call from Samantha Morales, Manager of Media Services, who listened to information about the site. She requested an e-mail with attached information on NSBB. The letter stated the following:

Greetings!

I am writing on behalf of http://www.northsidebaseball.com, a website and message board community dedicated to all things Chicago Cubs baseball. In three years, the website has expanded to 3,074 registered users with over close to 1,000,000 posts before our recent post archive. The website has free registration, although Premium Membership is available with expanded user features. The site has a great staff of Administrators and Moderators that help to keep the site enjoyable and educational for fans of all ages.

Our website includes registered users Bruce Miles of the Daily Herald as well as Len Kasper, Broadcaster for the Chicago Cubs. In addition, NSBB also has the Broadcasters for A Peoria (Nathan Baliva) and AA West Tennessee (Ron Potesta) as registered users. The site is listed as a Media Source for the A Daytona Cubs and has Media Credentials with the A Peoria Chiefs and the AA West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx. In addition, our site sponsors the “Chicago Cubs Farm Report” with the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx, which airs in the pregame show.

In 2005, NSBB began a series of question and answer sessions with people and players in and associated with the Chicago Cubs. Completed sessions and interviews include the following:

• Oneri Fleita, Director of Player Development
• Dave Keller, Minor League Hitting Instructor
• Bruce Miles, Cubs Beat Reporter for the Daily Herald
• Len Kasper, Broadcaster for the Chicago Cubs (twice!)
• Nathan Baliva, Broadcaster for the Peoria Chiefs
• Ron Potesta, Broadcaster for the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx
• Bo Fulginiti, Broadcaster for the Daytona Cubs
• Tim Comstock and Jeff Santo, Writers and Producers of "This Old Cub"
• Nomar Garciaparra, Chicago Cubs
• Eric Patterson, Peoria Chiefs/West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx (twice!)
• Jon Searles, West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx
• Jeff Parker, General Manager - West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx
• Ribbee, Mascot - West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx
• Sean Gallagher, Peoria Chiefs/Daytona Cubs
• Matt Murton, West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx/Chicago Cubs
• Bobby Dickerson, Manager - West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx
• Brandon Sing, West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx (twice!)
• Matt Weber, Peoria Chiefs/Daytona Cubs
• Grant Johnson, Peoria Chiefs
• Sam Fuld, Peoria Chiefs
• Brian Dopirak, Daytona Cubs

Nathan Baliva, Broadcaster for the Peoria Chiefs, Ron Potesta, Broadcaster for the West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx and Dave Keller, Minor League Hitting Instructor, have open sessions where fans can ask them questions at any time! In addition, we have already completed sessions with Len Kasper and Andy MacPhail, President and C.E.O. for the Chicago Cubs. The site is also in the process of completing sessions with Sean Gallagher (Daytona Cubs), Adam Greenberg (West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx,), Derek Ingram (Broadcaster, Daytona Cubs), Pat Listach (Manager, West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx), Eric Patterson (West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx), and Dale Petroskey (President, National Baseball Hall of Fame),

Last year, the site was active in supporting the various charities associated with our Minor League affiliates. Donations raised through the site were able to support auctions for the JDRF, Boy Scouts of America, MDA, the American Red Cross and other fundraisers for disaster relief. In addition, the site had its first “NSBB Chicago Cubs Minor League Player of the Year Award”, an award that went to Eric Patterson of the Peoria Chiefs/West Tennessee Diamond Jaxx. Eric was awarded with a plaque and a $100 donation to the charity of his choice. Eric graciously chose for that money to go to the victims of hurricane Katrina. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My contact information is provided below.

Have a great day!

Thursday, NSBB received confirmation that our information had been received and that NSBB had been added to the Press Release Distribution List. It is important to note that this is not a Media Credential. Being added to this list provides press releases to the site directly from the Cubs as they become available. However, I have been told that NSBB will be granted access for interviews and/or Q & A sessions with players in the organization, including members of the Chicago Cubs! It is important to note that schedules have to allow for sessions to be able to be completed.

This past Friday afternoon, we received our first release. Although it was not news that we enjoyed receiving in regards to Derrek Lee, it was still a landmark for where the site has come.

This is important in that NSBB now has a direct link to the Chicago Cubs organization. This resource will better enable the site to be able to provide even more inside information in the future. This site will also have the opportunity to bring the users at NSBB even closer to the players with occasional Q & A sessions and interviews where you will have the opportunity to interact with your favorite players and figures in the organization.

A special thank you to Andy MacPhail, not only for taking the time for an interview, but for providing the initial information that ultimately made all of this possible. Thank you to Sharon Pannozzo, Samantha Morales and Jason Carr in their work in the Chicago Cubs Media Relations Department. Thank you to Tim, 1908, the Moderators and to all of you for making NSBB such a wonderful posting community!

Balsa
5-Time All-Star

Postby Balsa » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:03 pm

This is fantastic news!!! :D :D

Great job by all the admins involved!!

Coach C
5-Time All-Star

Postby Coach C » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:30 pm

Sweet.

I look froward to see NSBB keep growing as the years come.

Great work to everyone involved in NSBB. I am very proud to be a member of NSBB and a Chicago Cubs fan.

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:09 pm

Excellent job, everyone.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:41 pm

Congrats to all! More proof that NSBB is in fact the premier Cubs message board!

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:59 pm

The only question I have is, will the Cubs be relucatant to have closer ties to the organization seeing as we compete directly with the offical Cubs.com message board? Yes we offer some different features that Cubs.com simply cannot offer, but for the most part I see it as a conflict of interest for the Cubs to embrace this site while shunning the Cubs.com site.

Either way, great work DJaxx and everyone else that has gotten NSBB this far!
Dare to dream....

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:01 pm

UMFan83 wrote:The only question I have is, will the Cubs be relucatant to have closer ties to the organization seeing as we compete directly with the offical Cubs.com message board? Yes we offer some different features that Cubs.com simply cannot offer, but for the most part I see it as a conflict of interest for the Cubs to embrace this site while shunning the Cubs.com site.

If I were MLB, I'd just shut down all of their message boards and encourage third-party boards, especially considering the reputations they have with better-run boards like this one.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:02 pm

Fantastic news!

badgercub
All-Star

Postby badgercub » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:48 pm

UMFan83 wrote:The only question I have is, will the Cubs be relucatant to have closer ties to the organization seeing as we compete directly with the offical Cubs.com message board? Yes we offer some different features that Cubs.com simply cannot offer, but for the most part I see it as a conflict of interest for the Cubs to embrace this site while shunning the Cubs.com site.

I think that is run by Major League Baseball, I don't think the Cubs themselves really have anything to say about its content or anything.

Roast
Maximo Ali

Postby Roast » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:30 pm

Wow, I have put off reading this for a couple days 'cause I'm lazy. But wow. GO NSBB!
Follow me on Twitter @MidwayJME

gus_dog
All-Star

Postby gus_dog » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:11 pm

badgercub wrote:

I think that is run by Major League Baseball, I don't think the Cubs themselves really have anything to say about its content or anything.

This is a quality board, with quality fans. Why wouldn't the Cubs want to get a little closer to this part of their fanbase?

It's good business for the Cubs.

Great job nsbb!!!!!
Santo IS in the hall of fame!
---------------------------------------
sometimes one team just executes so well, the other is powerless to stop it.

its baseball.

hardcorecubfan
5-Time All-Star

Postby hardcorecubfan » Mon May 15, 2006 8:50 am

I am psyched, way to go!! I had to call my wife and her response was Andy who?
I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Meathead

J.R.
5-Time All-Star

Postby J.R. » Mon May 15, 2006 9:38 am

So when do we get the "BAKER FIRED" release?

Return to “FAQ”