Mark Cuban, Cubs Owner?!?

wastra
All-Star

Mark Cuban, Cubs Owner?!?

Postby wastra » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:01 am

Anyone listen to Mike & Mike in the morning on espn radio?

They read an AP story this morning that Mark Cuban has said that he wants to buy the cubs, and would look into whether the tribune would make them available.

EDIT: More precisely, a reporter asked him if those reports were true, and he said "I won't deny it."
Bourbon & Beer News and Reviews at http://www.Modernthirst.com

Electron Blue
All-Star

Postby Electron Blue » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:10 am

He does realize that a baseball owner can't run onto the field during the game, right?

Seriously though, I kinda like Mark Cuban. He's a showboating, semi-arrogant bottle of insane energy. As negative as all of that can be, it's nice to see every once in awhile, compared to most sports team owners.

What could he do for the Cubs? Hard to say. He definitly loves to win, and will do quite a bit to get the job done, unlike the Tribune (some have said, at times).

wade
All-Star

Postby wade » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:11 am

I just heard it before I walked into work. Seems like they said he was asked if he would consider it and he said something to the effect of "how could you not consider it".

Then the hosts talked about how Cuban is all for spending money and treating players right, but also is for advertising on uniforms, etc.
"We've got to play a good game [today] just to not get swept,'' Barrett said. "That makes me want to vomit, just the thought of it. It's frustrating. No one should come in and take advantage of us here. You've got to take advantage of your home field.''

Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:15 am

I seriously doubt that the Trib is interested in selling the Cubs at the moment, but just for kicks I pose the following question:

If the team is sold in the next few years, how much will the sale price be?

USSoccer
Superstar

Postby USSoccer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:17 am

I'm torn on Cuban. On one hand, he's ultra committed to winning, which I love. On the other, he's meddled so much with the day to day ops for the Mavs that's he's done serious harm to their ability to contend in the West. Meddling with his GM in baseball could be disasterous, since just spending money is not a formula for success.

If I knew that Cuban would leave the baseball people alone, or hire the best baseball people to run the show, and all he'd do was pony up the extra cash when necessary, it'd be great.
Jay Cutler - "A Cat" - Jay Cutler is a cat.

USSoccer
Superstar

Postby USSoccer » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:18 am

Bob's Keeper wrote:I seriously doubt that the Trib is interested in selling the Cubs at the moment, but just for kicks I pose the following question:

If the team is sold in the next few years, how much will the sale price be?

It depends. Do the CSN and WGN deals go with them?

On it's own, the baseball team is probably worth $650m
Jay Cutler - "A Cat" - Jay Cutler is a cat.

neely crenshaw
All-Star

Postby neely crenshaw » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:40 am

i guess this will be a real good test of wheteher the trib makes a good chunk of change on the cubs or not. i think with the self owned tv and radio deals they make too much to think about selling...others do not agree

vance_the_cubs_fan
Piniella's posterior pain

Talk about wild speculation....

Postby vance_the_cubs_fan » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:53 am

In today's Sun Times, Carol Slezak speculates [urlhttp://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol15.html]that Mark Cuban could one day own the Cubs.[/url]

Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks owner, will play the role of guest conductor during the seventh-inning stretch today at Wrigley Field. But in the future, he conceivably could play a much larger role in the Cubs organization. Or so Cubs fans can hope.

Cuban is a born-and-bred Pittsburgh Pirates fan, but he knows a good investment when he sees one. If the folks in Tribune Tower ever find themselves in the mood to talk sale, Cuban would listen.

"The Cubbies are such an institution, if they became available, it would certainly be exciting to consider,'' he said via e-mail.

Of course, I'll be the first to say this will never happen, but it is an intriguing idea.

Cuban wants his teams to win and he isn't afraid to spend money or shake things up. On the other hand, for those that value tradition, Cuban may not be your guy. He's innovative and is willing to try about anything.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Re: Talk about wild speculation....

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:55 am

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:In today's Sun Times, Carol Slezak speculates [urlhttp://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol15.html]that Mark Cuban could one day own the Cubs.[/url]

Cuban, the Dallas Mavericks owner, will play the role of guest conductor during the seventh-inning stretch today at Wrigley Field. But in the future, he conceivably could play a much larger role in the Cubs organization. Or so Cubs fans can hope.

Cuban is a born-and-bred Pittsburgh Pirates fan, but he knows a good investment when he sees one. If the folks in Tribune Tower ever find themselves in the mood to talk sale, Cuban would listen.

"The Cubbies are such an institution, if they became available, it would certainly be exciting to consider,'' he said via e-mail.

Of course, I'll be the first to say this will never happen, but it is an intriguing idea.

Cuban wants his teams to win and he isn't afraid to spend money or shake things up. On the other hand, for those that value tradition, Cuban may not be your guy. He's innovative and is willing to try about anything.

See Transactions.

FWIW, Cuban was asked about the rumors and said "I won't deny it."

WindyCity
All-Star

Postby WindyCity » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:56 am

Here's the Sun-Times article that started all that talk: link

I wouldn't take it too seriously -- the Cubs make a ton of money for the Trib. If they ever need to raise cash fast though, they may consider it.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:57 am

Cuban says a lot of stuff. I'm guessing this is one of those instances where he is just spouting off.

Having said that, it would be interesting to ponder. He'd be like another Steinbrenner, not that there is anything wrong with that. However, I don't think the exclusive club of billionaires and near-billionaires that currently make up the ownership of MLB would allow a guy like him to buy a team.

JC
Superstar

Postby JC » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:02 am

Cuban is anything but conventional, so I think he would be a fantastic owner. He is committed to winning and holds people accountable. He doesn't let sentimentality chain him down. Even though I am extremely tradition oriented and would fear some of his suggestions, I would welcome Cuban as an owner.
Don't tell me how rough the water is, boys...just bring in the ship.--Steve Stone

Scott G. F.
All-Star

Postby Scott G. F. » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:03 am

vance_the_cubs_fan wrote:In today's Sun Times, Carol Slezak speculates [urlhttp://www.suntimes.com/output/slezak/cst-spt-carol15.html]that Mark Cuban could one day own the Cubs.[/url]

Carol Sleeeezak is one of the reporters that named Bartman. I don't trust one single work from her. I have no respeck at all for her or what she does.
"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult"
Regards Scott G. F.

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:04 am

I wouldn't be against this.

Soul
Resident Cat Lady

Postby Soul » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:07 am

Scott G. F. wrote:

Carol Sleeeezak is one of the reporters that named Bartman. I don't trust one single work from her. I have no respeck at all for her or what she does.

Agreed. With all due respect to Carol, she hasn't garnered enough respect in this city for her speculations to hold any water.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger usually leaves a scar.

daske17
All-Star

Postby daske17 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:10 am

I've been hoping to hear words like this for YEARS! Given what Cuban has done to make the Mavericks one of the bigger forces in the NBA, I would love to see what he would be able to do in Chicago.

I agree that he would be the next Steinbrenner. And honestly, I think that is what this team needs after years of a Tribune board not putting any visible passion into the team.

We need an owner that is as passionate as the fans about winning. I'd speculate that if Cuban were our owner last year, we'd be seeing Carlos Beltran in a Cubs uniform.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:11 am

I for one welcome our Cuban overlord....

dalgreen
5-Time All-Star

Postby dalgreen » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:20 am

And the Dallas Mavericks have done what under Cuban's ownership? Sure they have had some exciting teams, but when they reach the Western Conference Finals let alone the NBA Finals I will give him props. Man, the Trib has given Hendry the top payroll in the NL and future additions to Wrigley Field and they still get dissed.

BleedCubbieBlue81
All-Star

Postby BleedCubbieBlue81 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:25 am

dalgreen wrote:And the Dallas Mavericks have done what under Cuban's ownership? Sure they have had some exciting teams, but when they reach the Western Conference Finals let alone the NBA Finals I will give him props. Man, the Trib has given Hendry the top payroll in the NL and future additions to Wrigley Field and they still get dissed.

They've made the playoffs pretty frequently. That's more than can be said about the Tribune Company.

I like Mark Cuban, but I wouldn't want to see him running the show here. He'd turn Wrigley into a circus. It would lose all it's tradition.

c3ci1
Role Player

Postby c3ci1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:28 am

The Mavs have made WCF under Cuban. 4-2 Spurs.

RynoRules
5-Time All-Star

Postby RynoRules » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:36 am

JC wrote:Cuban is anything but conventional, so I think he would be a fantastic owner. He is committed to winning and holds people accountable. He doesn't let sentimentality chain him down. Even though I am extremely tradition oriented and would fear some of his suggestions, I would welcome Cuban as an owner.

I agree. He wouldn't put up the nonsense molst of us have had to watch for 20 (or more) of the last 25 years.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:43 am

I recall a few years ago the same wild speculation when Donald Trump sang the seventh inning stretch. And I think the Sun-Times started it all then, too.

I don't necessarily think it's going to happen. But more stories like this...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0507150088jul15,1,1897948.story?coll=chi-business-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

...might change my opinion.

cubweiser03
5-Time All-Star

Postby cubweiser03 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:54 am

dalgreen wrote:And the Dallas Mavericks have done what under Cuban's ownership? Sure they have had some exciting teams, but when they reach the Western Conference Finals let alone the NBA Finals I will give him props. Man, the Trib has given Hendry the top payroll in the NL and future additions to Wrigley Field and they still get dissed.

They were worse than the clippers when he bought them. He has really turned them around since he bought them. They were one sorry franchise with terrible attendance. Cuban loves the lime light and being the owner of the dallas mavs isnt anything close to the Cubs.

Chocolate Milk
5-Time All-Star

Postby Chocolate Milk » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:01 am

dalgreen wrote:And the Dallas Mavericks have done what under Cuban's ownership?

Well, they have turned from the laughingstock of the league to perennial contenders.

goony's evil twin
Hall of Fame

Postby goony's evil twin » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:02 am

BleedCubbieBlue81 wrote:

They've made the playoffs pretty frequently. That's more than can be said about the Tribune Company.

I like Mark Cuban, but I wouldn't want to see him running the show here. He'd turn Wrigley into a circus. It would lose all it's tradition.

It is a heck of a lot easier to make the playoffs in the NBA than it is in MLB.

Cuban would be a terrible baseball owner. He's all about spending on names, and wouldn't be able to tolerate the slow building process necessary for a successful minor league system to help the organization.

The Cubs problem is not with ownership. It's continued misappropriation of funds by management.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”