Cubs TV Deal Stuff

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Re: Cubs TV Deal Stuff

Postby seanimal » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:40 pm

i think you're highly discounting the boon that controlling a majority of their broadcasts will be for the cubs. as tt said, the cubs don't need a dodgers deal to make out like bandits in a few years. lots of people tune into competitive cubs teams, and those people buy things. this equation isn't going to change
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:25 pm

seanimal wrote:i think you're highly discounting the boon that controlling a majority of their broadcasts will be for the cubs. as tt said, the cubs don't need a dodgers deal to make out like bandits in a few years. lots of people tune into competitive cubs teams, and those people buy things. this equation isn't going to change

The equation has changed. Yes, lots of people will watch a good Cubs team, but other teams will dwarf their revenues based on timing of deals. The Cubs will be better off than the also rans, but that has always been the case. They aren't climbing the ladder to elite revenue status without the help of grossly overvalued cable contracts.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:24 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
seanimal wrote:i think you're highly discounting the boon that controlling a majority of their broadcasts will be for the cubs. as tt said, the cubs don't need a dodgers deal to make out like bandits in a few years. lots of people tune into competitive cubs teams, and those people buy things. this equation isn't going to change

The equation has changed. Yes, lots of people will watch a good Cubs team, but other teams will dwarf their revenues based on timing of deals. The Cubs will be better off than the also rans, but that has always been the case. They aren't climbing the ladder to elite revenue status without the help of grossly overvalued cable contracts.

just because other clubs have capitalized on better timing doesn't mean the equation has changed. a captive audience will be valuable whether the dollars come from direct subscriptions or advertising subsidies

but anyway, that doesn't really matter. the point is that the cubs can and hopefully will do significantly better in five years than what they do today because they can package their games together. i'm not sure what you find so objectionable about that statement
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:36 pm

It is certainly important that they improve their revenues relative to what they are today. However, it is also important what their revenue streams look like compared to what the other 29 clubs will look like in five years. If you are trying to add free agents or buy IFA's, it doesn't matter how much more you make now than in the past. It matters whether you can outbid the other teams for those services.
Spoiler: show

Bruno7481
All-Star

Postby Bruno7481 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:24 am

Rosenthal discusses tv deals and the NL Central a bit in his latest article. Summary is that the Cardinals, in his estimation, have the capacity to sign a guy like Price and a Heyward/Davis.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/jord ... als-112915

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:58 am

Only Price and Heyward? Phew, good thing they have that competitive balance pick to even things out a bit.
ImageImage

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:02 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Only Price and Heyward? Phew, good thing they have that competitive balance pick to even things out a bit.

They don't have one in 2016.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/07/2 ... sults.html

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:11 am

Banedon wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:Only Price and Heyward? Phew, good thing they have that competitive balance pick to even things out a bit.

yeah but not because they don't qualify for one, just that they lost the lottery. Don't worry though, every other team in our division will get one next year.
Dare to dream....

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:52 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

yeah but not because they don't qualify for one, just that they lost the lottery. Don't worry though, every other team in our division will get one next year.

I'll gladly trade a competitive balance pick every year for the right to play in the Chicago market.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:23 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I'll gladly trade a competitive balance pick every year for the right to play in the Chicago market.

Me too...its a unique situation that has put the Cardinals payroll higher than us the last 4 years (I believe)...it shouldn't continue like that very long, but I think it also shows that they don't exactly need an extra draft pick to maintain competitive balance.
Dare to dream....

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:15 pm

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

The Cubs believe they would need to start their own network two years before they telecast their games.

"We would need a two-year runway," Cubs business President Crane Kenney said Saturday from the Cubs Convention at the Sheraton Grand Chicago.

The Cubs continue to explore all options for when their agreements with CSN, WGN and WLS expire after the 2019 season. But they seem leaning to running their own network unless an offer overwhelms them, as was the case when they struck a deal with CBS Radio for their rights before the 2015 season.

The Cubs will have a showcase studio in their soon-to-be completed new building but would need ample time to secure distribution and content partners if they elect to operate their own network.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”