Arrieta: Consider yourself lucky he lets you cheer for him

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Re: Arrieta: Consider yourself lucky he lets you cheer for him

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:17 am

Am I just a miserable person for not caring about these awards cuz we lost the nlcs?
ImageImage

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:22 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Am I just a miserable person for not caring about these awards cuz we lost the nlcs?

kind of

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:23 am

Tim wrote:How on god's green earth could any idiot put Kershaw fifth?

i'm not sure that's even as bad as all those melancon votes

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:27 am

David wrote:
Tim wrote:How on god's green earth could any idiot put Kershaw fifth?

i'm not sure that's even as bad as all those melancon votes

lol - didn't even notice that. I'm not sure I made it past the first stupid ballot.
Spoiler: show

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:03 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:Am I just a miserable person for not caring about these awards cuz we lost the nlcs?

absolutely. take that buzzkill somewhere else, dude

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:23 am

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14165 ... oung-award

You can watch Jake talk about his looks for half of the interview because that's the kind of hard hitting journalism ESPN brings to the table.

(honestly though it's kinda funny)
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:51 am

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/po ... n-playoffs

“Physically my body was in better shape than it’s ever been,” Arrieta said. “There was nothing alarming to me. This was something that is very comparable to dead arm, something a lot of pitchers get in spring training. Physically my body was in a great spot. I just had that moment in time where I’m around 240 [innings], something I’ve never been at before. I felt great but maybe it’s just something I had to adjust to. But going into next season, having that workload under my belt, is only going to help me prepare for next season.”

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:57 pm

oh no jake is hanging out with carpenter

https://twitter.com/MrsArrieta49/status ... 1568069632

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:06 pm

Ahhhh hell naw

MWV
All-Star

Postby MWV » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:40 pm

I think they both went to TCU. Don't know if they were teammates.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:50 pm

MWV wrote:I think they both went to TCU. Don't know if they were teammates.

I thought I remember hearing that on the broadcast.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Yeah. They're good friends. Jake got into twitter arguments with cubs fans last year when he was rooting for st louis in the playoffs.

Stu
Role Player

Postby Stu » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:33 pm

David wrote:

Yeah. They're good friends. Jake got into twitter arguments with cubs fans last year when he was rooting for st louis in the playoffs.

I think Jake was a groomsman in Carpenter's wedding or vice versa

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:36 pm

Most of the posters deservedly mock him but I'd still like you all to get the opportunity to laugh at frankthefrowner in this thread

http://www.metsrefugees.com/forum/showt ... p?t=116067

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:51 am

Was going through old hard drives and found scans of old baseball cards I collected about 8 years ago and found this card that I now, in hindsight, should've kept. Whoops.

"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:01 am

Come August if we have a nice lead in the NL Central I wouldn't be opposed to skipping the occasional Arrieta start. After seeing Jake blow through his single season career high inning total I'm a bit nervous about the prospect of possible velocity drops (and other issues relating to being worked so hard in 2015). If Travis Wood is still on the team we would have two options to use for that fill in role (Wood and Warren).

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:39 am

StylesClash wrote:Come August if we have a nice lead in the NL Central I wouldn't be opposed to skipping the occasional Arrieta start. After seeing Jake blow through his single season career high inning total I'm a bit nervous about the prospect of possible velocity drops (and other issues relating to being worked so hard in 2015). If Travis Wood is still on the team we would have two options to use for that fill in role (Wood and Warren).

That's a long way away.

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:47 am

Bull wrote:
StylesClash wrote:Come August if we have a nice lead in the NL Central I wouldn't be opposed to skipping the occasional Arrieta start. After seeing Jake blow through his single season career high inning total I'm a bit nervous about the prospect of possible velocity drops (and other issues relating to being worked so hard in 2015). If Travis Wood is still on the team we would have two options to use for that fill in role (Wood and Warren).

That's a long way away.

Obviously August is a long way away. I'm just throwing out a legitimate possible scenario that could occur down the road, along with how I would respond to said scenario.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing the same thing with Jon Lester. Having both Wood and Warren in the bullpen, along with a commanding NL Central in August, could afford that sort of luxury.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:29 pm

StylesClash wrote:
Bull wrote:

That's a long way away.

Obviously August is a long way away. I'm just throwing out a legitimate possible scenario that could occur down the road, along with how I would respond to said scenario.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing the same thing with Jon Lester. Having both Wood and Warren in the bullpen, along with a commanding NL Central in August, could afford that sort of luxury.

Assuming Arrieta doesn't pay for those innings and sliders with dl time early in the year
Assuming The rest of the rotation is healthy and effective.
Assuming you have a big lead in the division (which you noted)
Assuming you haven't made trades at the deadline that change the rotation dynamics.
Lots of variables to be talking resting your rotation for the playoffs before pitchers and catchers even report.

North
Role Player

Postby North » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:47 pm

I basically view Jon Lester as the Millenium Falcon: durable and affective throughout the years. One reason I think this is that he is 230+ pounds, but the main reason is that lefties in general don't suffer as much from velocity dips as their right-handed compadres.

Arrieta's across-the-body mechanics scare me; I won't deny it. Factor in the high slider/cutter usage, and I can't not admit it's in the back of my head that he might face the consequences. Then again, he's a physical freak, one that does pilate exercises that look straight out of 50 shades of grey.

North
Role Player

Postby North » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:47 pm

I basically view Jon Lester as the Millennium Falcon: durable and affective throughout the years. One reason I think this is that he is 230+ pounds, but the main reason is that lefties in general don't suffer as much from velocity dips as their right-handed compadres.

Arrieta's across-the-body mechanics scare me; I won't deny it. Factor in the high slider/cutter usage, and I can't not admit it's in the back of my head that he might face the consequences. Then again, he's a physical freak, one that does pilate exercises that look straight out of 50 shades of grey.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Said it before and I'll say it again: use Arrieta like the gorgeous slab of beef he is and then let him go after 2017.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:35 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again: use Arrieta like the gorgeous slab of beef he is and then let him go after 2017.

I generally agree, but at the same time looking at how the bullpen will likely have multiple guys that can go 2-3 innings.... I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to occasionally limiting his pitch counts/innings here or there or backing a start off a day or 2 once in a while (not skip an entire start thru the rotation) and let Warren or Wood start a game before an off day that Jake was scheduled to go then let him go the day after the off day for example.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw Pitchers

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:56 pm

Not sure where to find it online, but I wonder how many more pitches Arrieta threw than in years past. For example, if in Baltimore he struggled through five innings throwing 100 pitches, but then threw 7 innings toward the end of the year in 80 pitches. Obviously there were lots of games where he was well over 100 pitches this year, and probably got knocked out of a bunch of games early before he went god mode, but I don't feel like his increase in innings is that fair of a representation given how easy some of his innings/outings were.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”