BP Wrigleyville

David
Hall of Fame

BP Wrigleyville

Postby David » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:16 am

Looks to be up and running

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballprospectus.com/

Hello BP Readers,

It’s a new season not just for baseball, but for us here at Baseball Prospectus. Today we are extremely excited to announce the launch of three local Baseball Prospectus sites: BP Boston, BP Bronx, and BP Wrigleyville.

Sports are innately local, and the idea behind these new Baseball Prospectus pages is to take all the writing, research, thought, and analysis that make BP great, and present it through a local lens. While the national page will continue to provide the innovative content you’ve come to expect, we now also have an amazing group of writers covering these teams. We are just getting started, but we believe these BP sites will become the best source of local baseball commentary, discussion, and analysis in each market.

These are the first of many new enhancements to the BP experience. I hope you come along for the ride. We are incredibly excited to have you.

Thanks,

Jim Walsh

Rob
Superstar

Re: BP Wrigleyville

Postby Rob » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:10 pm

I was wondering when BP was going to try something different.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:10 pm

The fonts make my eyes hurt.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:12 pm

over/under on this thing having a pulse in three years?
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:24 pm

seanimal wrote:over/under on this thing having a pulse in three years?

how is that an over/under?

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:27 pm

He's asking what the over/under is.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:31 pm

The Logan wrote:He's asking what the over/under is.

what is it?

he said over under on it lasting 3 years

over under of what?

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:34 pm

David wrote:
The Logan wrote:He's asking what the over/under is.

what is it?

he said over under on it lasting 3 years

over under of what?

Let's do it this way...

Let's go with 40%

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:52 pm

percentage is cheating

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:54 pm

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:23 pm

David wrote:

how is that an over/under?

lol
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:24 pm

i'm gonna say over though

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:37 am

When I saw the title to the thread, my first thought was that the Cubs had sold the naming rights to the Wrigleyville to British Petroleum. It would not have surprised me one bit.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:22 am

Wow, Brett is going to contribute to it once a week.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Interesting article today comparing Baez to early Sosa, which is actually a really interesting comp, as Sosa really needed the strike zone judgment to take his game to an elite level.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:04 pm

bukie wrote:Interesting article today comparing Baez to early Sosa, which is actually a really interesting comp, as Sosa really needed the strike zone judgment to take his game to an elite level.

Don't forget the roids

Gmoney08
Starter

Postby Gmoney08 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:40 pm

bukie wrote:Interesting article today comparing Baez to early Sosa, which is actually a really interesting comp, as Sosa really needed the strike zone judgment to take his game to an elite level.

Ive made this comparison before and mid 90s Sammy with tons of Ks, lower averages, and HR totals would be insanely available in the MIF, especially in this run enviroment.

JeffH
All-Star

Postby JeffH » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Gmoney08 wrote:

Ive made this comparison before and mid 90s Sammy with tons of Ks, lower averages, and HR totals would be insanely available in the MIF, especially in this run enviroment.

If Baez ever gets his strikeout rate down to the worst that Sosa ever posted, he'll be an absolute superstar.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:34 am

https://twitter.com/sahadevsharma/statu ... 8196299776

Sharma is leaving...

But now another challenge waits. I won’t share too much right away, but just know that you’ll be getting the same level of Cubs coverage that I’ve delivered over the years, just more of it and more thoroughly covered. And just because BP Wrigleyville is losing me, doesn’t mean it won’t be a destination for you any longer; with me leaving, hopefully it just means you’ll be adding one more site to your favorites.

Of course I’ve now gone too far without thanking the most important people: all of you. There are some of you who have been reading me for years, since I was a freelancer at ESPN and others who may have just recently discovered my work. Whoever you may be and however long you’ve been with me, I hope you continue to enjoy my work as much as I’ve enjoyed delivering it. I’m excited to see where things go with my new venture, but more than the excitement, there’s pride. I can look back on what I’ve done here at BP Wrigleyville and know I’ve helped start something special, and I look forward to seeing where it will go, even if I will no longer be the guide.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:43 am

Kind of seems BP is a sinking ship at this point. Glad to see Sharma will be traveling and giving us more Cubs coverage. He's my favorite Cubs writer by far.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:47 am

davell wrote:Kind of seems BP is a sinking ship at this point. Glad to see Sharma will be traveling and giving us more Cubs coverage. He's my favorite Cubs writer by far.

What's he doing?

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:57 am

David wrote:
davell wrote:Kind of seems BP is a sinking ship at this point. Glad to see Sharma will be traveling and giving us more Cubs coverage. He's my favorite Cubs writer by far.

What's he doing?

That's all he's teased so far.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:02 am

davell wrote:
David wrote:

What's he doing?

So that would seem to imply he's replacing either Gonzales, Wittenmyer, Miles (??), Mooney, Muskat, or Rogers...can't see him leaving BP for another startup. Who else would need a daily beat guy?

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:04 am

David wrote:
davell wrote:
David wrote:

What's he doing?

So that would seem to imply he's replacing either Gonzales, Wittenmyer, Miles (??), Mooney, Muskat, or Rogers...can't see him leaving BP for another startup. Who else would need a daily beat guy?

calling it "my new venture" and saying "you'll be adding one more site to your favorites" would indicate to me he's not replacing any of them.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:10 am

David wrote:
davell wrote:
David wrote:

What's he doing?

Yeah, I don't see other options either, but I guess it'd be dependent on how much traveling is involved.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”