Addison Russell is awesome and deserves a thread

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:48 am

So I'll give him one for this post.

Tommy Birch ✔ @TommyBirch
Follow
Pevey on Addison Russell: "He'll play second until I'm told for him not to play second." #Cubs #PCL #MiLB

Commence the watch.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: Addison Russell is awesome and deserves a thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:51 am

It would be so awesome if they bring him up in the next few weeks
Screw Pitchers

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:04 am

Is it safe to assume that he will be up this season and that the Cubs won't wait until early next year so that both Bryant and Russell, if they pan out, are not free agents the same year (one could sign an extension of course)?

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:05 am

PleasewinCubs wrote:Is it safe to assume that he will be up this season and that the Cubs won't wait until early next year so that both Bryant and Russell, if they pan out, are not free agents the same year (one could sign an extension of course)?

It's almost safe to assume that he'll be up within a few weeks at this point.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:12 am

probably the best prospect in baseball now

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14 am

sneakypower wrote:probably the best prospect in baseball now

Not until Bryant loses prospect status.
ImageImage

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:15 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Arguable

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:16 am

To restate what another thread touched on, both Baez and Alcantara were up within a month when they started getting regular time at another position, and Russell started playing 2B this past week. At this point, an unexpected turnaround from Alcantara or La Stella returning from the DL and tearing the cover off the ball for several weeks are probably the only things that could push that timeline back.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:17 am

David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Arguable

Russell has a higher floor and lower ceiling than Bryant, it's generally agreed. Whether one thinks that makes Russell better is open to argument.

I can't wait to get Russell up here. That'll be about as big a day as Bryant for me.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:18 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:To restate what another thread touched on, both Baez and Alcantara were up within a month when they started getting regular time at another position, and Russell started playing 2B this past week. At this point, an unexpected turnaround from Alcantara or La Stella returning from the DL and tearing the cover off the ball for several weeks are probably the only things that could push that timeline back.

holding out hope that by the next home stand we're looking at something like

CF - Fowler
RF - Soler
1B - Rizzo
3B - Bryant
LF - Coghlan
SS - Castro
2B - Russell
P
C - 3 headed monster

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:19 am

Andy wrote:
David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Arguable

Russell has a higher floor and lower ceiling than Bryant, it's generally agreed. Whether one thinks that makes Russell better is open to argument.

I can't wait to get Russell up here. That'll be about as big a day as Bryant for me.

I'm not sure about that. Position matters a lot. He has a hell of a ceiling.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:20 am

Spiegel and Goff just asked Hoyer about Russell...he didn't not say he'd be up soon. Basically said they're using him there because they're pretty thin at 2B right now. Also said that Castro is the SS for the foreseeable future and that Russell playing 2B is a move that is much easier to make in the minors.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:21 am

David wrote:C - 2 headed monster with a papier mache third head that gets smashed with ease at every opportunity

fixd

KrisBryantisaBeast
Starter

Postby KrisBryantisaBeast » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am

This makes me a little nervous because I was hoping to see him play for Iowa when they come to Round Rock on like June 20th or something like that. I hope it takes him awhile to learn how to play second base effectively so he's still around when I go to the game!

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:22 am

David wrote:
Andy wrote:
David wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:

Arguable

I'm not sure about that. Position matters a lot. He has a hell of a ceiling.

Position does matter and being a SS makes it "easier" for Russell's offense to make him far more valuable. However, the last time I checked 3B was about on the same level as 2B in terms of expected production, and if Bryant can keep playing third and hits like a star, his ceiling is incalculable.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 am

KrisBryantisaBeast wrote:This makes me a little nervous because I was hoping to see him play for Iowa when they come to Round Rock on like June 20th or something like that. I hope it takes him awhile to learn how to play second base effectively so he's still around when I go to the game!

I hope he adjusts immediately and helps the Chicago Cubs win game as soon as possible.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:24 am

treebird wrote:
David wrote:C - 2 headed monster with a papier mache third head that gets smashed with ease at every opportunity

fixd

seriously ross is just fine as a backup C

the problem is that he's being allowed to regularly face righties because lester needs a personal catcher who might not even be as good at framing as montero anyway so he's facing RHers (not that he hasn't done OK in his opportunities)

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:25 am

treebird wrote:

fixd

DID YOU KNOW: Ross leads Cubs catchers with a .370 wOBA, 2nd only to Bryant for players with 10+ PA.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:26 am

David wrote:
treebird wrote:

fixd

seriously ross is just fine as a backup C

the problem is that he's being allowed to regularly face righties because lester needs a personal catcher who might not even be as good at framing as montero anyway so he's facing RHers (not that he hasn't done OK in his opportunities)

i agree with that completely. if we had a normal bench and ross was used like a normal crappy backup catcher, i'd have no issue with him at all.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:26 am

David wrote:Spiegel and Goff just asked Hoyer about Russell...he didn't not say he'd be up soon. Basically said they're using him there because they're pretty thin at 2B right now. Also said that Castro is the SS for the foreseeable future and that Russell playing 2B is a move that is much easier to make in the minors.

I do look forward to him being up and play 2B next to Castro and then maybe we'll stop having fans try to move Castro to "make room"
ImageImage

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 am

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
treebird wrote:

fixd

DID YOU KNOW: Ross leads Cubs catchers with a .370 wOBA, 2nd only to Bryant for players with 10+ PA.

entirely on the back of intentional walks and unintentional intentional walks, don't care at all

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:27 am

The Cubs are going to promote two of the top 5 prospects in the game this year, and still have a top 3 of Schwarber, Torres and Almora. Pretty impressive.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
David wrote:Spiegel and Goff just asked Hoyer about Russell...he didn't not say he'd be up soon. Basically said they're using him there because they're pretty thin at 2B right now. Also said that Castro is the SS for the foreseeable future and that Russell playing 2B is a move that is much easier to make in the minors.

I do look forward to him being up and play 2B next to Castro and then maybe we'll stop having fans try to move Castro to "make room"

the media isn't helping either with their guessing/speculation based on probably little to nothing substantive

rosenthal with another "cubs might trade castro" "report"

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 am

KrisBryantisaBeast wrote:This makes me a little nervous because I was hoping to see him play for Iowa when they come to Round Rock on like June 20th or something like that. I hope it takes him awhile to learn how to play second base effectively so he's still around when I go to the game!

Yeah, that's not going to happen, and you shouldn't want it to happen. The sooner Russell is up here and Jonathan Herrera isn't getting starters' ABs, the more games the Cubs will likely win.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:33 am

KingCubsFan wrote:The Cubs are going to promote two of the top 5 prospects in the game this year, and still have a top 3 of Schwarber, Torres and Almora. Pretty impressive.

yeah its pretty fun

Return to “Cubs Discussions”