The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby David » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:28 pm

radarluv1 wrote:McCutchen was plunked in retaliation for the accidental HBP of Goldschmidt last year. Not the same as showboating but is example that some meatballs like their revenge served cold or something.


Isn't that basically what SplendedSplinter said?
Image

radarluv1
All-Star
Posts: 3632
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 8:52 pm
Location: Hall-raising

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby radarluv1 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Yes, but with names?
Marge: Grandpa, this flag only has 49 stars on it
Grandpa: I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize Missourah!

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Banedon » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:49 am

The Score producer texting Joe a reminder of what time his segment was at, since it was moved due to the doubleheader....


davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby davell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:27 am

I get that most are interchangeable anyway, but I wouldn't trade Joe for any other manager.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

User avatar
rocket
Superstar
Posts: 17780
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 7:48 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Contact:

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby rocket » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:48 pm

“The next time we do it, we’re going to run. I want everybody to know that. I never read that particular book that the Cardinals wrote way back in the day.

“I was a big Branch Rickey fan, but I never read this book that the Cardinals had written on how to play baseball. So, if you play behind us, we’re up by five points in the ninth, we’re running, and you have every right to do the same thing.
Do it for Kent.

User avatar
bhogg
Game Thread Pimp
Posts: 5212
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:40 pm
Location: Warren, Arkansas
Contact:

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby bhogg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:38 pm

Rizzo stole a bag while up 5 late in the game. . .. I just assumed the BFIB bemoaned such villainy as well.

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby The Logan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:00 pm

I've never understood people who bitch about that. How many times have teams come back in the 9th to score 5+? It happens. Take no chances, always play to win. Crazy [expletive] can occur, dont assume any lead is safe
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Based on what he said afterwards that's just his response to teams doing dumb [expletive] like plunking. Gonna try to start a beanball war? [expletive] you; they'll just run, piss off the other team even more and get them to get more of their guys thrown out. Pretty great.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Derwood » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Cards fans keeping it classy on Facebook over this. Every comment is delicious

User avatar
RynoRules
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9840
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:35 am
Location: Free Cities

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby RynoRules » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Full quote, one of my faves in Cubs history:

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball," Maddon said, fuming. "You can take that book and read it yourself because I don't give a crap about that book. I want everyone there to understand we don't start stuff but we stop stuff."

User avatar
XZero77
Superstar
Posts: 18605
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 4:57 am
Location: The Wastes
Contact:

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby XZero77 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:16 pm

RynoRules wrote:Full quote, one of my faves in Cubs history:

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball," Maddon said, fuming. "You can take that book and read it yourself because I don't give a crap about that book. I want everyone there to understand we don't start stuff but we stop stuff."


I thought the stuff about beaning and "we don't start it, but we'll end it" was a bit melodramatic, but I loved him basically telling them to shove their book up their asses.

User avatar
TomtheBombadil
Starter
Posts: 933
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:40 pm

Maddon's personality is perfect for this job. He keeps it 100% while the Cubs, historically, are a timid and meek franchise that never comes close to maxing the revenues, profits, payrolls, wins, talent - nothing fun - that their market size and MLB stain calls for. He's got what some of them cats out there might call "chutzpah."

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Banedon » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:28 am

XZero77 wrote:
RynoRules wrote:Full quote, one of my faves in Cubs history:

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball," Maddon said, fuming. "You can take that book and read it yourself because I don't give a crap about that book. I want everyone there to understand we don't start stuff but we stop stuff."


I thought the stuff about beaning and "we don't start it, but we'll end it" was a bit melodramatic, but I loved him basically telling them to shove their book up their asses.


I dunno about melodramatic, but it didn't really make tons of sense. Not really a way to "end it".

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 10503
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:32 am

Banedon wrote:
XZero77 wrote:
RynoRules wrote:Full quote, one of my faves in Cubs history:

"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball," Maddon said, fuming. "You can take that book and read it yourself because I don't give a crap about that book. I want everyone there to understand we don't start stuff but we stop stuff."


I thought the stuff about beaning and "we don't start it, but we'll end it" was a bit melodramatic, but I loved him basically telling them to shove their book up their asses.


I dunno about melodramatic, but it didn't really make tons of sense. Not really a way to "end it".

I took it to mean him saying "you do your stupid play the right way thing, we are just gonna [expletive] win and end it."
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:56 pm

Joe is not pleased that AC/DC did donuts all over the field with their Green Goblin-faced trailer truck or whatever the hell those rock 'n' roll hooligans do:

http://deadspin.com/joe-maddon-says-ac- ... 1732345844

He even blamed the field condition for Castro's error last night, which might be the craziest damn thing he's said so far.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:12 pm

Who puts a cat on a leash?

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Whoever belts the most dongs will get a fine victory pelt.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

User avatar
mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7135
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:53 am
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
Contact:

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby mul21 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:36 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Whoever belts the most dongs will get a fine victory pelt.


Pretty sure most of them are getting that even without the leopards being involved.
I like beer.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
RammyFanny
All-Star
Posts: 3711
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby RammyFanny » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:37 pm

davell wrote:I get that most are interchangeable anyway, but I wouldn't trade Joe for any other manager.

Before we got him I used to think long and hard about how many wins a manager is worth and then I just said [expletive] it, it's like 5 million to get the guy considered the best of the best. For that cheap, just get him and don't worry about trying to quantify anything and feel content knowing you've got the best in the business and the other teams can worry about trying to put a number value on it.
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 56771
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:45 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:39 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Who puts a cat on a leash?


Image
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:49 pm

Very well said explanation by madden in post game.



He's very good.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6038
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Denver

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby badger » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:00 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:Very well said explanation by madden in post game.



He's very good.


What did he say for us out of towners?

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:11 pm

badger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Very well said explanation by madden in post game.



He's very good.


What did he say for us out of towners?

If cubs scored one more wood was coming in. Jake wasn't overly stressed and while it was a tough decision Jake was within the range of where joe felt comfortable sending him back. More than that and made it clear he took a thoughtful approach to the decision rather than some meatball thing.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: The Quotable Joe Maddon (pure goodness thread)

Postby Banedon » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:38 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
badger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:Very well said explanation by madden in post game.



He's very good.


What did he say for us out of towners?

If cubs scored one more wood was coming in. Jake wasn't overly stressed and while it was a tough decision Jake was within the range of where joe felt comfortable sending him back. More than that and made it clear he took a thoughtful approach to the decision rather than some meatball thing.


I was irritated that CSN cut away before his postgame interview was done. I could listen to Maddon talk about baseball for hours.


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests