Front Office Thread

spaincubsfan
bench player

Re: Front Office Thread

Postby spaincubsfan » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:53 am

The FO has done an incredible job and Theo/Jed have stuck to their plan through thick and thin. I really hope this is the makings of a dynasty. I would like to see a minimum of 2 WS championships from this core, what about everyone else?

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:54 am

spaincubsfan wrote:The FO has done an incredible job and Theo/Jed have stuck to their plan through thick and thin. I really hope this is the makings of a dynasty. I would like to see a minimum of 2 WS championships from this core, what about everyone else?

uh...sure?
Spoiler: show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:57 am

spaincubsfan wrote:The FO has done an incredible job and Theo/Jed have stuck to their plan through thick and thin. I really hope this is the makings of a dynasty. I would like to see a minimum of 2 WS championships from this core, what about everyone else?

less than 3 would be a failure

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:59 am

10 or bust

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:00 am

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:10 am

Minimum 8peat.

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:49 am

A my sports fan life would be fulfilled if I just witnessed one. Don't really need a dynasty.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:53 am

PackLandVA wrote:A my sports fan life would be fulfilled if I just witnessed one. Don't really need a dynasty.

Until it actually happens.

BCVM22
Audio King

Postby BCVM22 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Cubs hire John Baker as baseball operations assistant.

Rondon Fan
Superstar

Postby Rondon Fan » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:18 pm

[quote="BCVM22"]Cubs hire John Baker as baseball operations assistant.[/quote]

I fully expected the last 2 pages to be about this. Instead we have a discussion about multiple World Series titles. Guess that's about right.
Rondon Fan wrote:I'm out. Hopefully I'll get the alert in the morning that the Cubs won on Javy's 12th inning homer.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:53 pm

Rondon Fan wrote:
BCVM22 wrote:Cubs hire John Baker as baseball operations assistant.

I fully expected the last 2 pages to be about this. Instead we have a discussion about multiple World Series titles. Guess that's about right.

John Baker in the front office puts them over the top in their quest for at least 2 WS titles! Better?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:41 am

Baker will assume the role of Chief Consultant in charge of Clubhouse Hijinks.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:37 am

Banedon wrote:Baker will assume the role of Chief Consultant in charge of Clubhouse Hijinks.

Yeah, with the expected plethora of celebrations I'm guessing for Rizzo it was too much for him to continue to undertake by himself while still focusing on playing so he probably went to Theo and Jed and said just hire Baker to take care of the party planning and shenanigans
Screw Pitchers

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:45 am

http://wrigleyville.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2015/09/10/theo-the-trader-evaluating-epsteins-trades-during-his-cubs-tenure/

Maybe this BP article from September has been posted here, but it's a good one.

Just thinking about the steaming pile of rubbish that Theo inherited and what he's spun it into in 4 years time is mind boggling.

Felix Leiter
Starter

Postby Felix Leiter » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:05 am

Theo is on The Score right now. Hope he gets asked about Warren's role and Heyward's position.

Felix Leiter
Starter

Postby Felix Leiter » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:23 am

It was pretty short. On Soler-Cubs challenged him to lose some weight to become more athletic. Just saw video on him and looks a lot better at the plate and the field. Says his power will increase as he learns to get a little loft which he's working on. Soler's post season showed everyone what he is capable of and only has 125 games in majors. Soler wants to play everyday and to improve his fielding.Confident that a Schwarber-Heyward-Soler would be great. Unless 'we're blown away' Soler will start in RF. Told Soler to ignore trade rumors. More likely to do a small deal. Some major deals they have been approached about, they would never do. On pitching-Joe likes pitching that can relieve and start-Wood, Warren, Cahill, etc..

StylesClash
Role Player

Postby StylesClash » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:37 am

Felix Leiter wrote:It was pretty short. On Soler-Cubs challenged him to lose some weight to become more athletic. Just saw video on him and looks a lot better at the plate and the field. Says his power will increase as he learns to get a little loft which he's working on. Soler's post season showed everyone what he is capable of and only has 125 games in majors. Soler wants to play everyday and to improve his fielding.Confident that a Schwarber-Heyward-Soler would be great. Unless 'we're blown away' Soler will start in RF. Told Soler to ignore trade rumors. More likely to do a small deal. Some major deals they have been approached about, they would never do. On pitching-Joe likes pitching that can relieve and start-Wood, Warren, Cahill, etc..

Glad to hear Schwarber will be playing the majority, if not all, his games in the Outfield. I want Schwarber having nothing to do with a position that puts him at an increased risk to get hurt.

Considering how good the lineup likely will be I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Montero in a salary dump move, and simply going with a tolerable veteran stopgap at the bottom of the order until Contreras is hopefully ready come August or September.

As for a prediction for Soler's 2016 slash line, I won't get too excited and instead give what I think is a fairly realistic line of 275/345/450. Combined with tolerable defense that would represent a solid step in the right direction for his career.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:50 am

StylesClash wrote:
Felix Leiter wrote:It was pretty short. On Soler-Cubs challenged him to lose some weight to become more athletic. Just saw video on him and looks a lot better at the plate and the field. Says his power will increase as he learns to get a little loft which he's working on. Soler's post season showed everyone what he is capable of and only has 125 games in majors. Soler wants to play everyday and to improve his fielding.Confident that a Schwarber-Heyward-Soler would be great. Unless 'we're blown away' Soler will start in RF. Told Soler to ignore trade rumors. More likely to do a small deal. Some major deals they have been approached about, they would never do. On pitching-Joe likes pitching that can relieve and start-Wood, Warren, Cahill, etc..

Glad to hear Schwarber will be playing the majority, if not all, his games in the Outfield. I want Schwarber having nothing to do with a position that puts him at an increased risk to get hurt.

Considering how good the lineup likely will be I wouldn't be opposed to dealing Montero in a salary dump move, and simply going with a tolerable veteran stopgap at the bottom of the order until Contreras is hopefully ready come August or September.

As for a prediction for Soler's 2016 slash line, I won't get too excited and instead give what I think is a fairly realistic line of 275/345/450. Combined with tolerable defense that would represent a solid step in the right direction for his career.

Yes, lets make our team worse.

Gingerballs Lives!
Starter

Postby Gingerballs Lives! » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:24 am

KingCubsFan wrote:
Tim wrote: Castro should still have enough value to bring back a really solid prospect or two at this point

Why? He was available for free last month and nobody wanted him. I know he's had a good month, but I doubt that's rebuilt his trade value to the point where somebody is taking on his contract and giving something of value.

Boom Adam Warren. Not going for the gotcha but thinking/hoping this will go down as another shrewd trade for hoyerstein.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:30 am

It's also a reminder that just because a player is passed through waivers, he isn't necessarily available for free.
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:33 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
StylesClash wrote:

Yes, lets make our team worse.

Yeah, I don't understand that at all; it's like he's saying to dump Montero just to dump him ASAP. It's not a salary dump if they're not spending it on something else. If Contreras is showing he needs to be up sooner rather than later they can still wait to trade Montero until later in the season.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:52 pm

StylesClash wrote:

IF they don't need to (which we haven't seen any indication as of yet that they do) why would you want them to salary dump a good (albeit our worst regular) player?

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:27 pm

For anyone who missed it, there's a good transcript of the whole appearance on here

http://chicagocubsonline.com/archives/2 ... ouse-2.php

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:04 pm

So Tim wilken calls analytics people tea party types?
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:09 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:So Tim wilken calls analytics people tea party types?

even if he does, this man is not a member of our front office anymore...TAKE IT TO RANDOM BASEBALL MUSINGS PAL

Return to “Cubs Discussions”