2015/16 offseason

UK
Superstar

Re: 2015/16 offseason

Postby UK » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:23 am

Damn, I wish Edwin's contract was off the books this year.

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:48 am

seanimal wrote:
TMan92 wrote:Daniel Murphy or bust. The Cubs can use a good bigot.

you're kidding yourself if you don't think that they already have at least one or two in there

Yeah ... professional athletes? I'm guessing it'd be lucky if the anti-gay animus wasn't over half.
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:50 am

Oh yeah there are bigots on the team I'm sure, but I like that our best players - Rizzo, Bryant, Arrieta, etc - don't seem to throw religion in everyone's face every chance they get. I guess Starlin does, but he does it with cool hashtags.

TMan92
All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:57 am

I guess I should have prefaced with "blatant"

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:10 am

TMan92 wrote:I guess I should have prefaced with "blatant"

Yeah, honestly, I think that's the best one can hope for as a fan, at this point.
SouthSideRyan wrote:AWESOME INDIANA IT'S THE GREATEST

BigSlick
5-Time All-Star

Postby BigSlick » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:59 pm

UK wrote:Damn, I wish Edwin's contract was off the books this year.

Christ. That really was Epstein-Hoyer's worst move to this point.

Hasn't been a crippling move, but it's still hurting the team.
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

TMan92
All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:47 pm

BigSlick wrote:

I worked with a GF and now wife of one of the Nationals and nobody on their team could believe the Cubs spent that much money on him.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:50 pm

TMan92 wrote:
BigSlick wrote:

I worked with a GF and now wife of one of the Nationals and nobody on their team could believe the Cubs spent that much money on him.

Why?
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TMan92 wrote:
BigSlick wrote:

Why?

Yeah, given his performance in the years preceding, it was pretty fair market value, but not really over.

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:20 pm

XZero77 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
TMan92 wrote:
BigSlick wrote:

Why?

Yeah, given his performance in the years preceding, it was pretty fair market value, but not really over.

The money per year wasn't outrageous, but the number of years was. Jackson spent his whole career on 1 or 2 year contracts until he came to the Cubs.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:35 pm

Backtobanks wrote:The money per year wasn't outrageous, but the number of years was. Jackson spent his whole career on 1 or 2 year contracts until he came to the Cubs.

So what? The lengths of his previous contracts had nothing to do with how well he did as a pitcher.

And before you jump to your usual position, no I'm not trying to defend it as somehow working out; it turned out to be a terrible signing. But at the time there was little indicate that the Cubs weren't likely to get relative value to the rather modest deal they signed him to.

And off of that, what the hell accounts for the drastic difference in his season value between Fangraphs and BR for his 2013 and 2014 seasons? Fangraphs has him at a 2.0 WAR (and 0.5 in 2014) and BR has him at -1.3 (and -2.3 the next year). FG seems WAY off here.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:56 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:The money per year wasn't outrageous, but the number of years was. Jackson spent his whole career on 1 or 2 year contracts until he came to the Cubs.

So what? The lengths of his previous contracts had nothing to do with how well he did as a pitcher.

And before you jump to your usual position, no I'm not trying to defend it as somehow working out; it turned out to be a terrible signing. But at the time there was little indicate that the Cubs weren't likely to get relative value to the rather modest deal they signed him to.

And off of that, what the hell accounts for the drastic difference in his season value between Fangraphs and BR for his 2013 and 2014 seasons? Fangraphs has him at a 2.0 WAR (and 0.5 in 2014) and BR has him at -1.3 (and -2.3 the next year). FG seems WAY off here.

I believe FG is more peripheral based whereas BR is more outcome based. EJ is just one of those guys who has always fell short of his peripherals.
ImageImage

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

The point is that nobody was offering Jackson a contract that ran 4 years except the Cubs. We could have offered him 2 years at $13 million per year and he would have still signed with the Cubs.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:26 pm

Backtobanks wrote:The point is that nobody was offering Jackson a contract that ran 4 years except the Cubs. We could have offered him 2 years at $13 million per year and he would have still signed with the Cubs.

I'm guessing you don't have a source for that bs.
Spoiler: show

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Actually, I'm almost positive the Rangers were at 4/48 on him is what's funny.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Tim wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:The point is that nobody was offering Jackson a contract that ran 4 years except the Cubs. We could have offered him 2 years at $13 million per year and he would have still signed with the Cubs.

Jim hendry is still in baseball and has plenty of sources.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:43 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

The point is that nobody was offering Jackson a contract that ran 4 years except the Cubs. We could have offered him 2 years at $13 million per year and he would have still signed with the Cubs.

But they wanted to lock him up for longer based on his success to that point. Again, there was little reason to assume he was just going to topple off of a cliff and never recover, so why bother with only a 1 or 2-year deal? Everything to that point pointed it to being a reasonable deal. They were trying to help stabilize the starting rotation both that season and for the long term.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:01 pm

Backtobanks wrote:Jackson spent his whole career on 1 or 2 year contracts until he came to the Cubs.

He was under arbitration before the Nats, which was a one year contract. Then he signed with the Cubs.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

TMan92
All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:35 pm

It was total dollars and past performance that made no sense.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:10 am

Explain.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:32 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tim wrote:

When you have nothing to say, you can always bring up Jim Hendry.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:18 am

Backtobanks wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tim wrote:

So...source?
Spoiler: show

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:23 am

Backtobanks wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tim wrote:

Hey, you logged in.

You waited until the Cubs were playoff hopes were diminished, but you logged in.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:39 am

davell wrote:Actually, I'm almost positive the Rangers were at 4/48 on him is what's funny.

While I can't find a year/dollar amount for the Rangers offer, they were certainly there until the end. There were, unsurprisingly, a number of teams in on him that year.

See: http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/12/19/ ... bs-rangers

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:43 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Tim wrote:

Hey, you logged in.

You waited until the Cubs were playoff hopes were diminished, but you logged in.

I've been logged in and posting for weeks now. Thanks for noticing.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”