Projecting the 2016 Cubs

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Re: Projecting the 2016 Cubs

Postby NewUserName » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:24 pm

Is Schwarbers defense that bad in left? 2 War with those offensive numbers.

I love the Harlond Clift comp for Bryant. Mostly because I actually know who Cliff was because I wrote about him in a HS paper once.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:36 pm

Can we have our WAR WS Trophy now?

Northsider
Role Player

Postby Northsider » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:37 pm

shnsajax wrote:Can we have our WAR WS Trophy now?

http://www.papertrophy.com/ should be able to make an amalgam of all the other teams

North
Role Player

Postby North » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:28 pm

The Javy projections are awesome, and I don't think they are that far fetched, but I'm not sure he can get 500 PAs. Even if Javy strikes out 30% of the time, he could still be a 100 wRC+ hitter if he hits 22 homers and walks at like a 6% rate. That's encouraging to me. His defense, at least at 3B, looks damn good as well.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:58 am

I think Baez gets 300-350 PAs this year playing mostly 2B, but also LF, maybe some CF, as well as SS and 3B. While I'm starting to view the whole OF thing as mostly a red herring, bouncing him around to get PAs and game experience might be a good way to break him in. He seems like a pretty intense kid, letting him run around a little, in a sense, might be a good way to loosen him up offensively against ML pitching. I really don't see it as any different from breaking in a young SP through the bullpen to get them used to the speed and polish expected at the highest level.

His performance in AAA last year went under the radar and I am pretty excited about Baez. Expecting him to start pushing Zobrist off of 2B as soon as 2017 and they trade one of the corners for pitching. I like him more over the next 5 years than either Soler or Schwarber. He can be yet another position player capable of hitting, playing defense, and running a little on this roster.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:04 am

I know nothing is impossible, but I really don't see Schwarber getting dealt as long as he hits the way he does and gets paid what he gets paid.

Irishoshea21
Starter

Postby Irishoshea21 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:52 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:I think Baez gets 300-350 PAs this year playing mostly 2B, but also LF, maybe some CF, as well as SS and 3B. While I'm starting to view the whole OF thing as mostly a red herring, bouncing him around to get PAs and game experience might be a good way to break him in. He seems like a pretty intense kid, letting him run around a little, in a sense, might be a good way to loosen him up offensively against ML pitching. I really don't see it as any different from breaking in a young SP through the bullpen to get them used to the speed and polish expected at the highest level.

His performance in AAA last year went under the radar and I am pretty excited about Baez. Expecting him to start pushing Zobrist off of 2B as soon as 2017 and they trade one of the corners for pitching. I like him more over the next 5 years than either Soler or Schwarber. He can be yet another position player capable of hitting, playing defense, and running a little on this roster.

Eh, they really just need him to play solid defense this year and hit a little bit. i'm not sure he's going to be able to hit in the majors. Can he still hit for power and not strikeout 35% of the time? They just need hi this year to play good defense (his best skill right now), mostly in the infield, and then get a little lf/Cf as needed. We'll see a lot of late game switches of Baez to 3B, KB to RF.

Schwarber isn't going anywhere and I think Soler is about to put it together. He has shown he has power, can walk, and his contact improved. just gotta stay healthy.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:56 am

Many of those Bryant to the OF changes will end up being Zobrist to LF and Baez at 2B. Baez will see his share of time at 3B, but as he's not moving Bryant from 3B it will basically be spot duty. Baez put up a .198 IsoSLG with a 24% K rate last year in AAA. Yes, yes he can still hit for power and strike out less.

I could totally see the Cubs trading Schwarber in the future. It's all fun and games now, slap on some Benny Hill music whenever he's running, defending, or facing a lefty, but eventually that new shine will wear off. Could be Soler and not Schwarber, but I think one of them is gone for a pitcher by the 2018 season.

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:50 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:I know nothing is impossible, but I really don't see Schwarber getting dealt as long as he hits the way he does and gets paid what he gets paid.

Yeah, the defense wasn't great, but it wasn't remotely close to being the albatross that the media makes it out to be after the Mets series fiasco. Surprised me with his arm out there as well.

Still played at a 4+ WAR pace over a full season last year. Plus he's still only 22. Kind of weird to think he's younger than Javy. That 17% BB and 20% K-rate during his longest stint at AA still stick out to me. Those power/walk/contact skills have the potential to be immensely valuable if he can continue to make improvements. He does scare me a little against lefties. But if he can just maintain a good approach and have a passable OBP against them, I think that'll suffice.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:53 am

RammyFanny wrote:He does scare me a little against lefties.

like Kevin Siegrist?

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:00 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I could totally see the Cubs trading Schwarber in the future. It's all fun and games now, slap on some Benny Hill music whenever he's running, defending, or facing a lefty, but eventually that new shine will wear off. Could be Soler and not Schwarber, but I think one of them is gone for a pitcher by the 2018 season.

Why is it "all fun and games now" but it still can't be for the next 3-4 years?

If Manny went 3-5 with a HR, 2B and BB but made Sportscenter Not Top 10 or whatever set to benny hill music, do you think Theo gave a [expletive]?

RammyFanny
All-Star

Postby RammyFanny » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:22 pm

sneakypower wrote:
RammyFanny wrote:He does scare me a little against lefties.

like Kevin Siegrist?

I know, that was the first thing that came to mind. But his numbers against lefties took a nosedive the higher the minor league ladder he climbed, and then he struggled pretty bad in the majors obviously. Like I said though, I think he's got a good enough approach regardless of who is pitching that it won't be a serious issue unless we are maybe talking late game switches.

Edit: maybe "nosedive" was too dramatic. .760 OPS against them last year in minors isn't terrible when you are crushing all righties.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:46 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:I could totally see the Cubs trading Schwarber in the future. It's all fun and games now, slap on some Benny Hill music whenever he's running, defending, or facing a lefty, but eventually that new shine will wear off. Could be Soler and not Schwarber, but I think one of them is gone for a pitcher by the 2018 season.

If Manny went 3-5 with a HR, 2B and BB but made Sportscenter Not Top 10 or whatever set to benny hill music, do you think Theo gave a [expletive]?

It's a different run environment now.

If Schwarber can not embarrass himself in LF on a regular basis they should keep him until he starts costing.

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:28 am

For comparison's sake, here are the 2013 projections:

Addison Russell will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:49 pm

CubinNY wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:

It's a different run environment now.

If Schwarber can not embarrass himself in LF on a regular basis they should keep him until he starts costing.

Yeah. That's what I've been saying

Return to “Cubs Discussions”