Random Baseball Musings

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby OleMissCub » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:55 pm

Fun fact: Barry Bonds had more career WAR by the time of his second All-Star appearance than Jim Rice had throughout his entire career.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:05 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Fun fact: Barry Bonds had more career WAR by the time of his second All-Star appearance than Jim Rice had throughout his entire career.

Yeah, but was he more feared in the 80's than Jim Rice was?
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:15 pm

so the white sox hired jason benetti to do their home games instead of hawk, who will be doing almost entirely road games

EDIT - MY BAD no terrible human being over here

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/whi ... lson-stone
Last edited by David on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:23 pm

I really hope you're not making light of his appearance because he's got cerebral palsy.
I like beer.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:25 pm

mul21 wrote:I really hope you're not making light of his appearance because he's got cerebral palsy.

im glad you said that before i could post
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:26 pm

well [expletive]

i honestly just thought it was a terrible picture of the dude

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:29 pm

I'd never heard of this guy before he was hired, but getting to that height in an on-air career with CP is [expletive] impressive, so good for him

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:51 pm

Very good broadcaster.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:38 pm

David wrote:EDIT - MY BAD no terrible human being over here

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:37 pm

My 10 year old daughter is at a softball catching clinic right now and they're learning pitch framing

#winning

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:05 pm

David wrote:so the white sox hired jason benetti to do their home games instead of hawk, who will be doing almost entirely road games

Why would Hawk only want to do road games? He really wants to get out of the house?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:41 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
David wrote:so the white sox hired jason benetti to do their home games instead of hawk, who will be doing almost entirely road games

Why would Hawk only want to do road games? He really wants to get out of the house?

He lives in South Bend and apparently hates commuting back and forth between there and Chicago. I know there's an airport in South Bend, but it only goes to, like, 10 other airports in the US. Go [expletive] figure.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:58 am

A couple interesting thoughts and opinions on the reliever to starter conversion and pitcher utility*:

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/16 ... -rich-hill

"I think it's something that suits me pretty well," Breslow said. "I got into a better rhythm. I found a smoother tempo, I had better command, was able to use my pitchability a little more."

It seems a little counterintuitive -- that a guy could feel better physically with the heavier workload of a starter, especially after spending a decade as a Major League reliever. How does that work?

Mike Boyle, a prominent Greater Boston strength and conditioning coach who is working with Breslow this winter and trained the Red Sox during their championship season three years ago, compared a pitcher's body to a car. Relieving is like starting the car and running it at 100 miles an hour immediately. Starting is like getting the car running, taking it around the block and eventually jumping on the highway.

"The scouting report will tell you pretty quickly I don't have a single dominant pitch," Breslow said. "It's not like any one pitch that I have is a wipeout pitch. This ability to change speeds, to get guys offbalance, to get guys to chase -- I think it manifests itself better a couple of times through the lineup.

"Having made a couple of starts, I think it's at least shown that I've got the ability to do it if I needed to be a swing guy or make a couple of spot starts. It's just another tool in my kit

"It may be almost two different types of wear and tear," said Boyle, who's worked with many collegiate, professional and Olympic athletes in recent decades. "That may lend itself to a different level of success."

* Note that this has nothing to do with Chapman. I just think it's interesting in a world with super utility pitchers where a couple 30/180 seasons making you a workhorse. Plus there's so many moving parts, so many bodies at this point, that of course there are going to be relievers who can start. Absolutely a casual observation that might be [expletive] - but one thing I notice from a lot of converts and convert candidates is improved hip and shoulder separation in their delivery. Also could be [expletive] - I believe visibly and legitimately improved hip/shoulder separation from a pitcher is a positive indicator for things like health, conditioning, strength, joint stability, obviously velocity...

One reliever to starter convert this offseason I like/am optimistic about (that isn't Gausman) is Brandon Maurer from the Padres. Hes got at least three interesting pitches, has completely rebuilt his delivery over the past two-three seasons from the gutter trash it was in 2013, made big gains as pitcher last year...He's not Gausman, who is filthy, but I do think there are some similarities to Samardzija when he was converting. Maybe the Padres get a 3 win pitcher out of it, and either way I like him a little bit more for it anyway. If he fails without injury then he's suddenly an interesting starter to reliever convert ala Andrew Miller in Boston or Justin Grimm here. If it fails, I'd actually be interested in swinging a deal for him as a reliever next winter.

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”