Random Baseball Musings

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby The Logan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:29 am

Everyone is denying it, even the source who gave Al Jazeera that information. Apparently the source said he gave the reporter a bunch of names he's never worked with just to test his integrity and skills as a reporter to follow up and fact check and he apparently just took the info and ran with it.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
RammyFanny
All-Star
Posts: 3711
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby RammyFanny » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:38 am

The Logan wrote:Everyone is denying it, even the source who gave Al Jazeera that information. Apparently the source said he gave the reporter a bunch of names he's never worked with just to test his integrity and skills as a reporter to follow up and fact check and he apparently just took the info and ran with it.

Ehhh. Not saying everything is 100% accurate, but I read there is actual video of Teagarden openly admitting to what the guy said.

"Ha. Tricked you. I just said all of those names to check your integrity and follow up skills!" seems likes a lame excuse you'd come up with after being busted.
Image

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6455
Joined: Sat May 07, 2005 8:19 pm

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby NewUserName » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:23 pm

I have heard good stuff about Al Jazeera. Seems odd that they would stick with this story if their only source had recanted. Makes me think they have something else.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby The Logan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:48 pm

RammyFanny wrote:"Ha. Tricked you. I just said all of those names to check your integrity and follow up skills!" seems likes a lame excuse you'd come up with after being busted.


I agree, but if you're cooperating with Al Jazeera in the first place to help break a story open, why would you recant the info you gave them? It seems odd, and if he is telling the truth then it sounds like he did in fact have info to give but the guy never came back for the whole story which is just sloppy.

So who knows. Maybe he got cold feet and denied it, but the guy also apparently wasn't even employed at the clinic in question when the report indicates, and only interned at the place for 3 months in 2013.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby The Logan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:08 pm

Dave Henderson died. THe headline on ESPN said "Henderson, member of 1989 champion A's, dies", and I about lost my [expletive]. Not that Dave Henderson dying isn't sad enough, but that's a [expletive] way for ESPN to title that story.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 24935
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:42 pm
Location: Durnsville

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:39 pm

The Logan wrote:Dave Henderson died. THe headline on ESPN said "Henderson, member of 1989 champion A's, dies", and I about lost my [expletive]. Not that Dave Henderson dying isn't sad enough, but that's a [expletive] way for ESPN to title that story.

How else is anyone going to know who he is?
Image

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:13 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
The Logan wrote:Dave Henderson died. THe headline on ESPN said "Henderson, member of 1989 champion A's, dies", and I about lost my [expletive]. Not that Dave Henderson dying isn't sad enough, but that's a [expletive] way for ESPN to title that story.

How else is anyone going to know who he is?


They can not imply that it was Ricky for a start

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby The Logan » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:52 pm

A simple "Dave Henderson" would suffice
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame
Posts: 49519
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:57 am

The Logan wrote:A simple "Dave Henderson" would suffice

Who?
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

User avatar
RammyFanny
All-Star
Posts: 3711
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby RammyFanny » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:46 am

The Logan wrote:
RammyFanny wrote:"Ha. Tricked you. I just said all of those names to check your integrity and follow up skills!" seems likes a lame excuse you'd come up with after being busted.


I agree, but if you're cooperating with Al Jazeera in the first place to help break a story open, why would you recant the info you gave them? It seems odd, and if he is telling the truth then it sounds like he did in fact have info to give but the guy never came back for the whole story which is just sloppy.

So who knows. Maybe he got cold feet and denied it, but the guy also apparently wasn't even employed at the clinic in question when the report indicates, and only interned at the place for 3 months in 2013.


The guy who interned at the place for 3 months is the guy who recanted the Manning thing (and some other names I think).

But the guy who went undercover with Al Jazeera and interviewed the guy above plus other guys hasn't recanted anything (they are different people). Based on the Manning guys recanted excuse I think he just might have tried to sound like a bigshot and heard Peyton went there once.
Image

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 12854
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Mobile, AL
Contact:

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby The Logan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:40 am

Welp, they updated it for east coast bias. It now reads "Henderson, '86 Red Sox ALCS hero, dies at 57"
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 47568
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby SouthSideRyan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:47 am

The Logan wrote:Welp, they updated it for east coast bias. It now reads "Henderson, '86 Red Sox ALCS hero, dies at 57"


That's how I identify him. Didn't realize how brief his time in Boston was.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Superstar
Posts: 10503
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:17 pm

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:39 am

Sounds like MLB will allow for single team purchases, potentially single game, for MLBTV this year. I probably will still get the whole regular MLBTV package just because I like watching a lot of baseball, but this is a nice option. Will be interesting to see the costs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagra ... -for-2016/
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Derwood » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:56 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Sounds like MLB will allow for single team purchases, potentially single game, for MLBTV this year. I probably will still get the whole regular MLBTV package just because I like watching a lot of baseball, but this is a nice option. Will be interesting to see the costs.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagra ... -for-2016/


whereas I couldn't give two poops about other teams and would gladly do the "Cubs only" package

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby David » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:00 am

meh. i go in on it with 4 other people so it's cheap anyway. that way i can watch other games when i feel like it. i'd say ones with divisional/wild card race implications but we won't have to worry about those things.
Image

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 47568
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:00 am

Now let's have the next 3 pages be people thinking they can stream games in-market and getting indignant when they realize they can't, (falsely)talking about how MLB is throwing money away.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Enn Tea
All-Star
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:03 pm
Location: Merced, CA

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Enn Tea » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:32 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:Now let's have the next 3 pages be people thinking they can stream games in-market and getting indignant when they realize they can't, (falsely)talking about how MLB is throwing money away.


I understand we'll never be able to stream in market games, but it sure would be nice if this feature allowed me to stream games on freakin Saturdays. It pisses me off every time i get assed out of saturday baseball because fox is showing the yankees vs the mariners or some other bland BS.

User avatar
David
Hall of Fame
Posts: 45384
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:33 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby David » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:55 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:Now let's have the next 3 pages be people thinking they can stream games in-market and getting indignant when they realize they can't, (falsely)talking about how MLB is throwing money away.


remember last year when it was like june and we still had people shocked that there were games on abc7? fun times.
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 56403
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Banedon » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:02 am

Enn Tea wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Now let's have the next 3 pages be people thinking they can stream games in-market and getting indignant when they realize they can't, (falsely)talking about how MLB is throwing money away.


I understand we'll never be able to stream in market games, but it sure would be nice if this feature allowed me to stream games on freakin Saturdays. It pisses me off every time i get assed out of saturday baseball because fox is showing the yankees vs the mariners or some other bland BS.


Never say never...

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/11027 ... eaming.htm

Ronnie Woo Woo
All-Star
Posts: 1767
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:29 am

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Ronnie Woo Woo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:48 am

Enn Tea wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Now let's have the next 3 pages be people thinking they can stream games in-market and getting indignant when they realize they can't, (falsely)talking about how MLB is throwing money away.


I understand we'll never be able to stream in market games, but it sure would be nice if this feature allowed me to stream games on freakin Saturdays. It pisses me off every time i get assed out of saturday baseball because fox is showing the yankees vs the mariners or some other bland BS.


Weren't the Saturday blackouts fixed? I am in a weird zone where I am blacked out of the Cubs on MLBTV, but I'm not blacked out on Extra Innings, so I get EI. On EI the Saturday blackouts stopped at least a year ago, if not 2 years ago.

User avatar
Enn Tea
All-Star
Posts: 2723
Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:03 pm
Location: Merced, CA

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Enn Tea » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:06 pm

I was using mlb.tv last year. Pretty certain the saturday blackouts were still in effect, i remember it screwing me over a few times. I think once the feature game ends, the blackouts arent in effect anymore, though.

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 28552
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:02 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Andy » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:06 pm

Saturday blackouts ended in 2014. The only games blacked out on Saturdays are the Fox games airing in market. Other Fox games aren't.

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 47568
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:08 am
Location: Chicago Loop

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:09 pm

David wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Now let's have the next 3 pages be people thinking they can stream games in-market and getting indignant when they realize they can't, (falsely)talking about how MLB is throwing money away.


remember last year when it was like june and we still had people shocked that there were games on abc7? fun times.


Not people. Derwood.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 58429
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:44 am
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby Derwood » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:51 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
David wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:Now let's have the next 3 pages be people thinking they can stream games in-market and getting indignant when they realize they can't, (falsely)talking about how MLB is throwing money away.


remember last year when it was like june and we still had people shocked that there were games on abc7? fun times.


Not people. Derwood.


I still don't believe ABC 7 is a thing

davell
Superstar
Posts: 15883
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:55 pm

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Postby davell » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:39 pm

Dan Haren was awesome on Twitter today.

https://twitter.com/ithrow88
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest