Hacking mess

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
The_Achiever
bench player

Re: Hacking mess

Postby The_Achiever » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Banedon wrote:
The former scouting director of the St. Louis Cardinals is scheduled to plead guilty Friday to criminal charges in connection with an unauthorized breach of the Houston Astros computer network, according to people familiar with the case.

Chris Correa, who was fired by the Cardinals last year, has tentatively agreed to plead guilty to 5 of 12 related charges, one person said.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ex-cardinal ... 1452271222

Hope he gets the chair.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:00 pm

EDIT: Goodness, he certainly lived up to the 'hacking' verb.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:25 pm

Geez, I wonder how hard it'll be to prove anyone else inside their org actually saw this stuff? I'd think it'd be awfully hard, unless they're idiots, but I'd be shocked if he acted completely alone.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:31 pm

davell wrote:Geez, I wonder how hard it'll be to prove anyone else inside their org actually saw this stuff? I'd think it'd be awfully hard, unless they're idiots, but I'd be shocked if he acted completely alone.

There is no way he just went rogue. If he did, they should have turned him in when it happened.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:44 pm

Of course, I've seen a few blurbs that turn this into all sorts of knots, with the Astros also having Cards info. This is unsubstantiated though, from what I can remember. This appears to be the "Cardinal Way" of how to beat a criminal case though.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:43 pm

I don't understand how the Cards haven't been severely punished for this. Maybe that's still to come.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:I don't understand how the Cards haven't been severely punished for this. Maybe that's still to come.

As punishment, they should be forced to give their best pitcher and best position player to their biggest rival.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:I don't understand how the Cards haven't been severely punished for this. Maybe that's still to come.

The feds are still conducting their investigation. MLB won't conduct theirs until after the feds are done. A 2 mill fine is the max possible. Loss of picks and/or draft budget are where the penalties could truly hurt them.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:53 pm

I'm more interested in seeing multiple years of 1st rd picks lost (and the draft money lost attached to that)/multiple years of being barred from IFA more than any sort of monetary fine.
Screw Pitchers

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:03 pm

How did I completely miss this thread until now?
We are doomed.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:16 pm

i wonder if oscar tavares was a whistleblower and the cardinals took him out
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

DiceMan4221
Starter

Postby DiceMan4221 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Careless wrote:How did I completely miss this thread until now?

I guess because it wasn't clear until just now how high this went up. For a director level employee to be pleading guilty is ... kinda a big deal. Imagine if you were the Astros!?
Spoiler: show
And who, according to Showalter, best exemplifies high-buttedness? Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee. "I don’t want to say he’s got a perfect butt, but when I look at it I say, Wow."

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:44 pm

I think the problem was I thought this was the fantasy game.
We are doomed.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:02 pm

Greatest thread title in history
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:06 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Jim Leyland's Phlegm

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:59 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

hahahaha
We are doomed.

Radar3454
Starter

Postby Radar3454 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:18 pm

I think and hope MLB comes down hard on the Cards for this.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:29 am

The article is a couple of days old, but Jeff Passan makes a strong case for making an example out of the Cardinals.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/mlb-must-hammer-st--louis-beyond-its-checkbook-for-hacking-astros-005253782.html

Love that the "Cardinal Way" keeps getting thrown back in their faces!

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”