2015 offseason hirings and firings*

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
wvcbxl
5-Time All-Star

Re: 2015 offseason hirings and firings*

Postby wvcbxl » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:33 am

“... ultimately it was clear that Dusty’s deep experience was the best fit for our ballclub.”

Roughly translates as : let's see if he can also ruin our good pitchers :roll:
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits. - Satchel Paige.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:46 am

They're gonna dead cat bounce, be a WC team and he'll win manager of the year and I'll be really annoyed.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:48 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:They're gonna dead cat bounce, be a WC team and he'll win manager of the year and I'll be really annoyed.

same exact thing i was thinking

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:51 am

SouthSideRyan wrote:They're gonna dead cat bounce, be a WC team and he'll win manager of the year and I'll be really annoyed.

Or worse, they'll win 95 games when the Mets take a step back and the rest of their division fights to break 70 wins.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:34 am

In related news, Stephen Strasburg just curled up in a ball and began to cry.

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:

Or worse, they'll win 95 games when the Mets take a step back and the rest of their division fights to break 70 wins.

And then they'll blow a lead in the playoffs again and it will be glorious.
In Theo we trust.

ImageImage

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:14 pm

soccer10k wrote:

Eliminating Dusty in the playoffs just became a new dream of mine.

Being eliminated by Dusty in the playoffs just became a trigger to become a homicidal maniac.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Gotta give Baker some credit, he really knows how to fall ass-backwards into some talented teams. He just doesn't know what to do with them.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:10 pm

apete6 wrote:
soccer10k wrote:

Eliminating Dusty in the playoffs just became a new dream of mine.

Being eliminated by Dusty in the playoffs just became a trigger to become a homicidal maniac.

If we weren't good I'd hate this because it would increase the chances of the Cardinals beating the Nationals in the playoffs. But since we're good I know we can take out either team with one hand behind our backs.
Dare to dream....

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:29 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:Gotta give Baker some credit, he really knows how to fall ass-backwards into some talented teams. He just doesn't know what to do with them.

He's a truly gifted BS artist.

"He's going to find that hole between third and short and up the middle, and that famous Juan Pierre flair is coming right around the corner," manager Dusty Baker said.

That Juan Pierre flair?

"I've never heard that before; that's the first time," Pierre said. "What was he talking about?"

Baker was talking about Pierre's past flair for creating excitement and igniting an offense out of the leadoff spot, not the flare to the outfield he poked in the ninth inning Thursday.

"Oh, OK, but that's the first I heard about that one," Pierre said.

Surprised he hasn't considered politics.

biittner77
5-Time All-Star

Postby biittner77 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:37 pm

I kinda miss Dusty's cryptic fishing metaphors. I hope he fires Niefi as his 3rd base coach.
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:00 pm

I'll always hate him for '03-'05, but I'm glad Dusty's back. He's probably as close to a Yogi Berra as this generation is going to get.

Archaic, [expletive] manager, but more charismatic than the other 29 stiffs combined. He'll [expletive] your team right up, but at least you'll get some great laughs out of it.

His defense of Jeff Kent when Milton Bradley called him a "racist" was particularly memorable. Or his quip about Sammy's hop that almost turned a double into an out back in summer of '04.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Lenny wrote:I'll always hate him for '03-'05, but I'm glad Dusty's back. He's probably as close to a Yogi Berra as this generation is going to get.

Archaic, [expletive] manager, but more charismatic than the other 29 stiffs combined. He'll [expletive] your team right up, but at least you'll get some great laughs out of it.

His defense of Jeff Kent when Milton Bradley called him a "racist" was particularly memorable. Or his quip about Sammy's hop that almost turned a double into an out back in summer of '04.

Wait...Dusty is more charismatic than Maddon? And Maddon is a stiff?

Seriously?
Spoiler: show

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:27 pm

Tim wrote:
Lenny wrote:I'll always hate him for '03-'05, but I'm glad Dusty's back. He's probably as close to a Yogi Berra as this generation is going to get.

Seriously?

lmao

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:40 pm

oh Lenny...

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:51 pm

Tim wrote:

Seriously?

Seriously. We're blessed to have Maddon, but let's not equate his contrived antics to Dusty's authentic (but calculated) folksy charm.

Dusty's too funny to be that stupid.

cl smooth
Starter

Postby cl smooth » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:11 pm

i'll just leave this (deuce) here:

http://deadspin.com/5767357/ok-who-poop ... ugout-spot

NEVER FORGET

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:18 pm

Lenny wrote:
Tim wrote:

Seriously?

Seriously. We're blessed to have Maddon, but let's not equate his contrived antics to Dusty's authentic (but calculated) folksy charm.

Uhh, who said anything about contrived antics? Nobody is talking about bringing in magicians and animals when they reference Maddon's charisma. Dusty is not charming. He's a bitter angry jag.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:38 pm

It's weird for someone to be raving about a guy's personality when the image that leaps so readily to mind is him just sitting in the dugout seemingly completely unresponsive to the game in front of him.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:25 am

Maddon is basically the Ric Flair of MLB managers when it comes to charisma. There's no one else even remotely close. I could listen to him talk all day.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:07 am

Lenny wrote:
Tim wrote:

Seriously?

How is Maddon "contrived" and Dusty "calculated?"

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:11 am

well, the locker room stuff with the weird shenanigans are sort of contrived (but still fun), but that's not what makes people call maddon charismatic.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:38 pm

http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/sou ... ench-coach

looks like the sox are looking at ricky as a bench coach. hope it works out for him.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:28 pm

David wrote:http://www.csnchicago.com/white-sox/source-rick-renteria-would-fit-well-white-sox-bench-coach

looks like the sox are looking at ricky as a bench coach. hope it works out for him.

I was hoping that you meant Rickey Henderson.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:52 pm

We just lost Anthony Lapoce to the Rangers. Hitting coach in the minors for us, got a major league gig with the Rangers.

Hate that we've lost him and Johnson, but it speaks volumes as to the quality of guys we've got working with our minor leaguers too.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”