2015 offseason hirings and firings*

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Tim
Hall of Fame

Re: 2015 offseason hirings and firings*

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Trading for Wood + Latos was the cautious approach? I'd hate to hear what you call our deadline.

Those guys didn't work out as the Dodgers wanted them to, but who was moved that was better? Cueto & Hamels? Anyone else?

Or are you talking pre-season?
Spoiler: show

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:29 pm

Tim wrote:Trading for Wood + Latos was the cautious approach? I'd hate to hear what you call our deadline.

Those guys didn't work out as the Dodgers wanted them to, but who was moved that was better? Cueto & Hamels? Anyone else?

Nah, I'd have been thrilled with Latos/Wood. It's money based and where their teams age is, as to why I'm down on what Friedman has done so far. I can give him a pass based on just taking over.....I guess. I did with Theo. But Theo tore down and didnt waste time on deciding what direction he was taking. Nor did he have anything close to the monetary ability that Friedman has now.

Friedman filled with depth in the offseason, instead of getting elite guys. I'm more OK with Theo taking that approach, because a mistake will hurt much more than it would hurt them. I'd say the same for the deadline. Risks are necessary at times, in their case, I'd say more than most others. Because they can continually buy right over top of them.

That said, I'm arguing by myself against a group of guys I know "know their [expletive]", so I'll drop off not having my mind changed, but admitting you guys may be on the right side of this thing.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:43 pm

davell wrote:Kapler seems to be the early favorite for them. From a few tweets by Dylan Hernandez, Friedman and Zaidi didn't come off well at their PC today. I know it's only been a single season, but I do wonder if Friedman is cut out for such a large payroll. I remember Beane saying one time he thought he'd be more effective with tighter purse strings and I do wonder if Friedman winds up actually proving Billy's point.

Am I misremembering, or was Kapler a giant douche bag while he was a player?

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:44 pm

davell wrote:
Tim wrote:Trading for Wood + Latos was the cautious approach? I'd hate to hear what you call our deadline.

Nah, I'd have been thrilled with Latos/Wood. It's money based and where their teams age is, as to why I'm down on what Friedman has done so far. I can give him a pass based on just taking over.....I guess. I did with Theo. But Theo tore down and didnt waste time on deciding what direction he was taking. Nor did he have anything close to the monetary ability that Friedman has now.

Friedman filled with depth in the offseason, instead of getting elite guys. I'm more OK with Theo taking that approach, because a mistake will hurt much more than it would hurt them. I'd say the same for the deadline. Risks are necessary at times, in their case, I'd say more than most others. Because they can continually buy right over top of them.

That said, I'm arguing by myself against a group of guys I know "know their [expletive]", so I'll drop off not having my mind changed, but admitting you guys may be on the right side of this thing.

I liked their moves pre-season (McCarthy + Anderson), but I thought they'd go after more sure-thing, high-dollar guys.

I really liked what they did at the deadline for a team with any budget. It just didn't work out as planned.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:38 pm

Why include Latos? Understand he had great results against us with CIN years ago, but considering the current pitching environment he's a 4 or 5 at best.

If Jed decides to sign him for more than 1 year or more than about $7M guaranteed, we'll call it a [expletive] contract, and rightfully so.

Dave's right, it was a buy-low, cheapskate move.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Lenny wrote:

Why include Latos? Understand he had great results against us with CIN years ago, but considering the current pitching environment he's a 4 or 5 at best.

If Jed decides to sign him for more than 1 year or more than about $7M guaranteed, we'll call it a [expletive] contract, and rightfully so.

I'm confused at what you think is a 4-5 at best.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Derwood wrote:
davell wrote:Kapler seems to be the early favorite for them. From a few tweets by Dylan Hernandez, Friedman and Zaidi didn't come off well at their PC today. I know it's only been a single season, but I do wonder if Friedman is cut out for such a large payroll. I remember Beane saying one time he thought he'd be more effective with tighter purse strings and I do wonder if Friedman winds up actually proving Billy's point.

Am I misremembering, or was Kapler a giant douche bag while he was a player?

I remember him as a fitness freak and remember hearing he was a bright guy.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:42 pm

Tim wrote:
Lenny wrote:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3815&position=P

Jason Hammel had more productive seasons the past two years.

He just ain't the same guy he was before/during 2013. It was a cheapskate trade.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:31 pm

Lenny wrote:
Tim wrote:
Lenny wrote:

He just ain't the same guy he was before/during 2013. It was a cheapskate trade.

You understand his role, right? They weren't looking for a #1 or a #2. Those were Kershaw and Greinke. They got Wood to be the #3. They had Anderson as #4. They were looking for a #5 starter at that point. Latos was a really good bet as a guy who had a 3.45 FIP for the team he was on before the break. He had a 8.05/2.55 K/BB ratio. He was average or better at preventing HR. He was a really good bet to be above average with proven upside, let alone a serviceable #5.

You're being pretty ridiculous here.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:41 am

Ken rosenthal is troubled by the lack of intellectual diversity in mlb hiring. He thinks it is unfair that teams only hire smart guys.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:13 am

So did you guys see that Ruben Amaro is going to be the Red Sox 1B coach?

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:26 am

Tim wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Tim wrote:
Lenny wrote:

You understand his role, right? They weren't looking for a #1 or a #2. Those were Kershaw and Greinke. They got Wood to be the #3. They had Anderson as #4. They were looking for a #5 starter at that point. Latos was a really good bet as a guy who had a 3.45 FIP for the team he was on before the break. He had a 8.05/2.55 K/BB ratio. He was average or better at preventing HR. He was a really good bet to be above average with proven upside, let alone a serviceable #5.

You're being pretty ridiculous here.

How is it ridiculous? This was a team that stated they had no payroll restrictions, farm depth, and a glaring need for stability at the back of their rotation.

I don't blame their fans being disappointed that Latos was their second biggest acquisition.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:44 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

Ken rosenthal is troubled by the lack of intellectual diversity in mlb hiring. He thinks it is unfair that teams only hire smart guys.

i love how he cites the ventura and matheny hirings as though those were analytics guys or something

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:23 am

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

i love how he cites the ventura and matheny hirings as though those were analytics guys or something

FJM should come back just for this alone.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:37 am

David wrote:So did you guys see that Ruben Amaro is going to be the Red Sox 1B coach?

Sounds troubling
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:01 pm

I'm now 100% sure I could do a better job than Rizzo.

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/stat ... 3086521345
I like beer.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Bud Black seems like a decent hire. Dusty atrocious. What a weird couple of final candidates.

Also so weird for them to consider another idiot after Williams

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:42 pm

David wrote:Bud Black seems like a decent hire. Dusty atrocious. What a weird couple of final candidates.

Also so weird for them to consider another idiot after Williams

I agree, Black would be fine. But to even consider Dusty after what he just went through with Williams? I just have no idea how that's even a thought you can have, especially with the long track record of pitcher destruction and a guy like Strasburg on the staff.
I like beer.

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:51 pm

Rizzo always showed a lot of public support for Williams. Maybe he only fired him because of outside pressure and doesn't see anything wrong with hiring someone similar to him. I didn't follow their situation too closely, bit it did kind of seem like everyone BUT Rizzo wanted Williams gone.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:55 pm

David wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

That he included those two goofs invalidates his whole argument. Why wouldn't he use Scioscia as an example? He's as big an "old school" moron as the aforementioned, but he's at least shown some ability to recognize coaching talent, handles his pitching staff responsibly, and has a ring.

Matheny and Ventura are just (much) less charismatic Dusty Bakers. I don't follow the Sox, but why the self-anointed Best Fans in Baseball are so content with Matheny after watching LaRussa, Torre, and Herzog is beyond me.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Lenny wrote:
Matheny and Ventura are just (much) less charismatic Dusty Bakers. I don't follow the Sox, but why the self-anointed Best Fans in Baseball are so content with Matheny after watching LaRussa, Torre, and Herzog is beyond me.

Well, they're not. There's so much hand wringing and pissing and moaning about him that I'm pretty sure more of them than not would be happy if they got rid of him.
I like beer.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:05 pm

mul21 wrote:
Lenny wrote:

Well, they're not. There's so much hand wringing and pissing and moaning about him that I'm pretty sure more of them than not would be happy if they got rid of him.

What idiot runs a promising young arm like Macha into the ground, then recalls Marco Gonzales from Memphis before he's rehabbed his shoulder?

Mozeliak better realize. And if not him, Bill DeWitt.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:28 am

Lenny wrote:
mul21 wrote:
Lenny wrote:

What idiot runs a promising young arm like Macha into the ground, then recalls Marco Gonzales from Memphis before he's rehabbed his shoulder?

Mozeliak better realize. And if not him, Bill DeWitt.

I'm not gonna argue that Matheny isn't an idiot, but I don't think I'm gonna put the blame on him for callups.

Funny that Ryne Sandberg working his way up through the system and failing spectacularly wasn't mentioned in the article.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:28 am

That's so Heyman....

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:22 am

Banedon wrote:That's so Heyman....

How can someone who pays attention to baseball for a living write that?

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”