CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: Cubs in Winter Leagues

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:38 pm

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:31 pm

2 HR and 6 RBI for Villanueva today. In 51 games, he's got 9 HR, 30 RBI, to go with 30 walks and only 21 K's. He's slashing a very nice .331/.436/525.

He's out of options unfortunately, but MAYBE he's put himself into position to be a 2nd/3rd piece that nets us a McGee, without giving up Javy?
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:41 pm

davell wrote:2 HR and 6 RBI for Villanueva today. In 51 games, he's got 9 HR, 30 RBI, to go with 30 walks and only 21 K's. He's slashing a very nice .331/.436/525.

He's out of options unfortunately, but MAYBE he's put himself into position to be a 2nd/3rd piece that nets us a McGee, without giving up Javy?

I brought up Milwaukee as a good fit for Villanueva as part of a Lucroy deal. SSR was...skeptical that he'd be enough to move the needle at all on a deal like that. But what about the previously mentioned Will Smith as a trade target? Villanueva would obviously just be a second or third piece there, as well, but he would have to be at least intriguing for them as a mlb ready third baseman considering their other options.
Spoiler: show

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:49 pm

I just don't know how to weigh the fact he's out of options. It's possible he's valueless just because of that. But I'd like to think there's some teams that could easily keep him up all year too. We're just not one of them. I'd like to think him and Underwood could net us a Smith type.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:42 am

In Theo's world, nothing's valueless. Ok, maybe Edwin Jackson and Jose Veres. But nothing else.

Villanueva has always been known as a great glove man, and he has a solid bat. But being out of options and very, very blocked, he's basically an expiring $10 off coupon; if you walk into the store and find something you want or need, than great. If not, oh well.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:45 am

Little Slide Rooter wrote:Villanueva has always been known as a great glove man, and he has a solid bat. But being out of options and very, very blocked, he's basically an expiring $10 off coupon; if you walk into the store and find something you want or need, than great. If not, oh well.

well that's certainly one way to put it. not how I would, but definitely one way.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:10 pm

When Christian Villanueva tears up winter league after being a wet fart for two years in AAA, my thought isn't "Wow, Christian Villanueva just became valuable!" It's "wow, that winter league must be really easy to hit in."

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:15 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:When Christian Villanueva tears up winter league after being a wet fart for two years in AAA, my thought isn't "Wow, Christian Villanueva just became valuable!" It's "wow, that winter league must be really easy to hit in."

Nah, we're taking whatever we want from the Cards, a little voodoo magic surely was on Theo's list. I annoint Christian Villanueva the new Adrian Before.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:20 am

If you want some reason to hope this morning, Rivero has an 18/2 K/BB ratio in winter ball.
Spoiler: show

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:21 pm

davell wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:When Christian Villanueva tears up winter league after being a wet fart for two years in AAA, my thought isn't "Wow, Christian Villanueva just became valuable!" It's "wow, that winter league must be really easy to hit in."

Nah, we're taking whatever we want from the Cards, a little voodoo magic surely was on Theo's list. I annoint Christian Villanueva the new Adrian Before.

Are the access codes to the Astros scouting info on that list, too?
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:58 am

Javy played CF last night in Puerto Rico. No word on how he did. His slash line certainly indicates he's working on his defense. (.160/.323/.280) But he has walked more than he's struck out, so there's that.

I'm kidding about the importance of the stats, of course...
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Dec 19, 2015 5:11 pm

Saw that someone said Javy made a crazy 330 foot throw home from CF last night on a rope w/no hops...guy didn't try to score from 2nd.

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:36 pm

Baez - LF, Heyward - CF, Soler - RF.

Go ahead a try to score on a sac fly....I dare ya' !! :no:

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:50 pm

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:28 pm

I just asked Joe a question based on this tweet in the coaching staff panel discussion.bi asked if he thought this tweet was a dare to opposing hitters or a genuine desire to not have the ball hit to him. I made Joe Maddon laugh!

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:40 pm

haha that was you? nice!

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:01 pm

David wrote:haha that was you? nice!

Yuppers. Joe's approval means everything to me. I almost asked Bosio about Arrieta basically saying (On the Dempster show) Bos had no impact on his success last year. Decided not to create division.

Return to “Minor Leagues”