2015-16 International Free Agency Thread

Cubswin11
Superstar

Re: 2015-16 International Free Agency Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:59 pm

How much do we "save" for losing our top 2 picks in the draft this year for signing Heyward and Lackey?
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:How much do we "save" for losing our top 2 picks in the draft this year for signing Heyward and Lackey?

2-3 million

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:00 pm

[tweet]https://mobile.twitter.com/JesseSanchezMLB/status/681560420616921093?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw[/tweet]

Sierra is officially a FA. He and Gutierrez are out there among the Cuban pitchers right now, no one else is official yet.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:47 pm

We're all speculating, but I think Dave's argument is well structured: they had access to massive $$$ for Moncada; they stated an interest in pitching "at all levels" only two months ago; and Theo is too long-term and youth-oriented to allow the farm to get emptied by two blank years.

Targetting Price/Miller/Carasco/Samardz/Lackey types, those wouldn't fit the "all levels" phrasing. [Unless they were just referring to all levels within the major-league staff. High end starter (we'll talk to Price, and offer Baez or Soler for Carasco); second-level starters (Lackey, Samardz, Miller, Ross); back-end depth rotation/swing guys (Cahill, Warren); swing guys (Cahill, Warren, Richard); true relievers (Bastardo, Giles).]

But since "levels" normally refers to major and minor leagues, the "all levels" comment most likely implies stocking up the minors as well as helping at the big-league level. Given IFA as pretty much the only means of off-season minor-league pitching procurement, (other than via trade), the "all levels" comment certainly suggests the intent to use IFA.

That would also seem to fit Theo's long-term thinking. Same interview as the "all levels" comment, he talked about how he expected some "impact" pitching from the young minor leaguers, mentioning guys down in the short-season level (Cease, Sands, Steele, DelaRosa, Alzolay...). But the admin has generally seemed to be cognizant that the farm is not rich with pitching.

Theo knows they could be needing rotation guys next winter (Hammel) and the following (Lackey), plus in event of injury for other guys. So with no chance at big-ticket IFA's or high-round picks for the next couple of years, unless he's satisfied with the pitching he's got on the farm right now, he'd likely understand the importance of adding some IFA's this cycle.

Still, they seem to prioritize just getting value. So even if they know they want pitching, the IFA signings thus far have once more heavily skewed towards position guys.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:28 am

Lazaro Armenteros Highlight Video https://t.co/GmVfjaknjW
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:56 pm

In an article about Lazaro today I saw he can start individual workouts for teams now after his showcase today, even know we won't know if he's available to sign for this period for another few weeks.
Screw Pitchers

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m5 minutes ago

Source: Cuban phenom Lazarito Armenteros cleared by MLB, eligible to sign starting Feb. 10. Corner OF/IF, 16 years old.

Sweet. Since he's getting into this class, based on WHEN he defected, I'm thinking most of these guys get put into this one now.

By the way, the reviews on his showcase were decided mixed.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:00 pm

davell wrote:Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 5m5 minutes ago

Source: Cuban phenom Lazarito Armenteros cleared by MLB, eligible to sign starting Feb. 10. Corner OF/IF, 16 years old.

Sweet. Since he's getting into this class, based on WHEN he defected, I'm thinking most of these guys get put into this one now.

Excellent. I want them all!

davell wrote:By the way, the reviews on his showcase were decided mixed.

Don't care. Still want all the new toys.
Spoiler: show

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:07 pm

[expletive]. The. Dodgers.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:16 pm

My honest hope is the Dodgers scouting differs from our quite a bit. Not just on Lazarito, but others as well. I REALLY want us to land some pitching, but I also want the pitching to start looking at least a bit more exciting than it does currently. At any rate, I want to see Ona, Ruiz, Morejon, and a few others cleared now too.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:02 pm

And just like that, Badler says IF/OF Randy Arozarena is also cleared and eligible to sign. He's another 1st round type of talent. The list on page 14 is as up to date as possible, I think. I'll try to add which of these guys are 1st round type talents or some semblance of a blurb on them at some point soon.

Edit- added a bit on some of these guys. By no means is it intended to be anything other than a bit of help to some that may not be familiar at all to these prospects. If I've missed an age, a reported velo, or whatever, I expect it. But the main thing is who all are considered 1st round talents, of which I think I identified them all.
Last edited by davell on Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Evidently Alfredo Rodriguez, a SS, was cleared today too and Jesse Sanchez says he's got 6 mill from the Reds. I had read they wanted to push him to next signing period, so it may or may not take a LONG time for them to announce this.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:25 pm

davell wrote:Evidently Alfredo Rodriguez, a SS, was cleared today too and Jesse Sanchez says he's got 6 mill from the Reds. I had read they wanted to push him to next signing period, so it may or may not take a LONG time for them to announce this.

"He is a player of interest, but we do not have a deal," Reds general manager Walt Jocketty told the Cincinnati Enquirer on Monday night.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14554006/cincinnati-reds-cuban-ss-alfredo-rodriguez-agree-6-million-deal

Don't know what that quote means exactly. Could be it's not official yet. Could mean Rodriguez's agents jumped the gun or put out a "price setting" rumor. Could mean, as you suggested, that Cincy has an agreement with him that it will be official once the next signing period starts.
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:57 pm

You're not even supposed to negotiate with guys until they've been cleared. It's a no-no, by the rules anyway. They're just retracting(probably a bit pissed the number came out literally on the same day he gained eligibility) and will still sign him, maybe not for the exact same 6 mill figure. The same thing happened with Soler actually....Sullivan reported we had a deal in place with him months before he could even sign. We denied it and all, but Badler and most of those guys stayed extremely confident it was basically a done deal.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:21 pm

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Yeeeeees on Bolanos, but that is probably a duh statement since the Cubs should sign them all.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:13 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Yeeeeees on Bolanos, but that is probably a duh statement since the Cubs should sign them all.

He had you at 6'3"

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:35 pm

David wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:Yeeeeees on Bolanos, but that is probably a duh statement since the Cubs should sign them all.

He had you at 6'3"

Whoa, I'm not some cheap floozy hoowah. Maybe if he was 240 with crazy arm speed like Jose Fernandez or left handed. The length of the yes over sells my enthusiasm, I assume there'd be more hype if he was awesome.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:46 pm

He was an OF, just started pitching in 2014. I think theres a good chance he'd have more hype if there had been more looks at him. I'm starting to wonder if he winds up getting the most money of any of the pitchers.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:55 pm

davell wrote:He was an OF, just started pitching in 2014. I think theres a good chance he'd have more hype if there had been more looks at him. I'm starting to wonder if he winds up getting the most money of any of the pitchers.

Didn't know he was a recent convert, that makes him a little more impressive and puts his performance into some context that helps him. Physically he looks Ervin Santana-ish/esque and like he can be coached up to throw more strikes. I think Ruiz gets the most money and is still the best prospect in the bunch.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Ruiz is definitely the safer bet. I've got no clue where to peg the money on ANY of these guys honestly. I'll give it a shot though, if for no other reason than to see how wrong I am. Here's my half ass over/under on what these guys get.....

INF/OF Randy Arozarena- 12 mill
INF/OF Jonatan Machado-5.5 mill
OF Jorge Ona- 23 mill
OF Lazarito Armenteros(Lazarito)- 11 mill
INF Miguel Vargas-8.5 mill
RHP Vladimir Gutierrez-4.5 mill
LHP Adrian Morejon- 8 mill
RHP Norge Ruiz- 14 mill
RHP Ronald Bolanos-10 mill
LHP Cionel Perez-3.5 mill

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:33 pm

To belabor my standard precaution: hitting mid-90's in a showcase isn't inherently very impressive. If you can't, it's a bad sign, but if you can, it doesn't prove a ton.
1. Full-season minor-leaguers are pitching every 5th day and getting tired; showcase guys can be building up and resting all geared toward that showcase. Will a show-case mid-90's sustain mid-90's after 15 starts?

2. Even Tseng and Ryan Williams can hit mid-90's, if they are well-rested and throw their 4-seamer for velocity rather than their 2-seamers for movement and outs.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:43 pm

He sits 88-93, based on reports from when he was in Cuba.

Return to “Minor Leagues”