2015-16 International Free Agency Thread

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 2015-16 International Free Agency Thread

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:19 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:Stupid Dodgers.

BA did a writeup of top available Cubans: http://www.baseballamerica.com/internat ... le-part-1/

Ona (ranked 6th amongst all unsigned Cubans, defected or not):

Status: Waiting for MLB to make him a free agent. Ona is subject to MLB’s registration rules and missed the May 15 registration cutoff for the 2015-16 signing period because he was in Cuba at the time. However, the commissioner’s office should give him an exemption now that they have changed their policy on Cuban players.

Likely Starting Assignment: low Class A.

Randy Arozarena (SS/OF) - 9th, high-A, Waiting for MLB to make him a free agent
Yusniel Diaz (OF) - 17th, low A, apparently signed by the Dodgers
Lazaro Armenteros (OF) - initially unranked, 16-year old, Rookie ball, Waiting for MLB to make him a free agent

Can you pass along the rank and likely assignment for the top few SP on that list? I imagine Sierra is near the top but I'm not plugged in to the other names.

That was part 1, which focused on the hitters. Part 2 hasn't come out yet but I'll post when it does.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:31 pm

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:15 pm

The Dodgers have not only spent 88 mill on this IFA class(so far), they've also traded AWAY their actual slots in the process. I think I read somewhere today they've spent more on this, than 5 teams did on payroll in 2015. I have no idea what other bids were out there on Diaz and Estevez, but looking thru the teams, I find it extremely hard to believe anyone else was even remotely close.

There's no doubt in my mind that a draft is coming after this. Unfortunately, there's also no doubt in my mind that it'll be set up horribly.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Booooooo drafts

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:01 am

.@BenBadler has more notes on where Cuban players could end up, including Alfredo Rodriguez https://t.co/RVOzZpMT3p https://t.co/ya7wX3EVwa

Badler mentions the Reds as the likely team for SS Alfredo Rodriguez. In much more important news, he lists US the favorites for P Adrian Morejon(please become eligible). He lists the Dodgers as being in on basically everyone but does expect us to continue signing guys too.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:44 am

davell wrote:.@BenBadler has more notes on where Cuban players could end up, including Alfredo Rodriguez https://t.co/RVOzZpMT3p https://t.co/ya7wX3EVwa

Badler mentions the Reds as the likely team for SS Alfredo Rodriguez. In much more important news, he lists US the favorites for P Adrian Morejon(please become eligible). He lists the Dodgers as being in on basically everyone but does expect us to continue signing guys too.

The Dodgers are involved in just about everyone, but some believe the Cubs may be the favorites for Adrian Morejon, a 16-year-old lefthander.

Morejon would be a welcome addition to a Cubs farm system that leans heavily toward position players. He first pitched on the international stage in Taiwan in a 12U tournament in 2011, then was the MVP of the 15U World Cup last year in Mexico. Morejon beat the United States in the gold-medal match by throwing a 124-pitch complete game with 12 strikeouts, one walk and seven hits allowed in Cuba’s 6-3 victory. He’s not that big (5-foot-11, 165 pounds), but he showed a good fastball at the time for a 15-year-old lefty (mid-to-upper 80s, touching 91), feel to spin a curveball and feel for pitching beyond his years. Morejon isn’t a free agent yet and will need the commissioner’s office to grant him an exemption to sign during the current signing period, like they did with Estevez and outfielder Jonatan Machado, since he was in Cuba this summer and missed the May 15 registration cutoff for the current 2015-16 signing period.

Badler didn't mention if any other players are linked to teams besides Rodriguez with the Reds, as davell mentioned. Didn't touch on Ona or Lazarito.

Tedward
All-Star

Postby Tedward » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:44 am

If we get Morejon, I'm hoping he turns out better than the last "high profile" Cuban lefthander that we signed - Concepcion. Is he still even in the organization?

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:07 pm

Tedward wrote:If we get Morejon, I'm hoping he turns out better than the last "high profile" Cuban lefthander that we signed - Concepcion. Is he still even in the organization?

I'm not getting excited about any 16 year old pitcher.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:39 pm

I'll gladly take talent of any age. It's not ideal for it to be 16 years old obviously. But if he's a candidate talent-wise to go 1-1 in the upcoming amateur draft and we get him, I'll be plenty excited. We NEED pitching, we may see a few breakouts this upcoming season if things work out right, but we're lagging behind in that department. I want as much Cuban pitching as I can get out of Ruiz, Gutierrez, Morejon, Perez, and Bolanos.(not to mention a guy like Sierra, who's unrestrcited to the IFA rules) Hitting is gravy as far as I'm concerned at this stage of where we're at, especially after getting EJM, and the likelihood the Dodgers pay insane amounts for the Ona's and Armenteros' of the world.(I'd be thrilled, just not expecting it)

At any rate, adding as many of these guys as we can is very important to me. We're picking near the end of the draft this year(or hopefully not at all) and the talent won't be like what we've grown accustomed to. Adding guys like this, that'd be considered 1st round talents helps us out a ton. And it seems that they're on our radar by Theo saying we're looking at adding pitching to all levels of our organization.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:30 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:...
He’s not that big (5-foot-11, 165 pounds), but he showed a good fastball

Hmm, pretty short.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:47 pm

don't tell gato

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Sanchez' report on Morejon is MUCH better than Barker's. 91-93, plus command, plus makeup, throws 4 pitches......With one scout saying he's the best arm available in IFA or the 2016 draft.....

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:52 pm

David wrote:don't tell gato

Lefty THO. If he has any kind of stuff at all he gets infinity chances.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:29 pm

I refuse to look, but there's a guy on PSD that says the Cubs must of signed Brailyn Marquez, he's in a Cubs uniform on Facebook. As are 2 IF, Christopher Morel and Orian Nunez. I've got no idea who those 2 are, but Marquez is the best lefty in the class(Cubans aside) and we had been rumored to have an agreement with him.

Bear Cub
Role Player

Postby Bear Cub » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 am

I am the guy on PSD that posted the Facebook info on these three players. I have no other info other than their pictures. Good looking kids arent they? Orian Nunez was listed in the Transaction page for the Cubs last month. AZ Phil has him listed also.
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:55 am

Cool. Glad to apparently have Marquez, some extremely nice upside there.

On a side note, Theo was at a showcase this weekend for P Jorge Hernandez and Norge Ruiz.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Bear Cub wrote:I am the guy on PSD that posted the Facebook info on these three players. I have no other info other than their pictures. Good looking kids arent they? Orian Nunez was listed in the Transaction page for the Cubs last month. AZ Phil has him listed also.

Thanks for info, Bear Cub.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Ruiz was 89-93 and Cionel Perez was 93-94 at the showcase. No report on Hernandez.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:54 pm

davell wrote:Ruiz was 89-93 and Cionel Perez was 93-94 at the showcase. No report on Hernandez.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:54 pm

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:56 pm

davell wrote:Sanchez' report on Morejon is MUCH better than Barker's. 91-93, plus command, plus makeup, throws 4 pitches......With one scout saying he's the best arm available in IFA or the 2016 draft.....

From Jesse:

Morejon is the real deal. The left-handed teenager has shined in international competitions, and his fastball hovers in the 91-93 mph range. Morejon has four pitches, plus command and plus makeup. He's an international star and one scout said he might be the best young arm overall in 2016, and that includes the international market and the 2016 Draft. Morejon is working on his documents and has not been declared a free agent.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:32 pm

Is he better than the Greatjon?
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:37 pm

We already have Jon Lester, it only makes sense to add Morejon

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:07 pm

Jesse Sanchez ‏@JesseSanchezMLB 52s53 seconds ago

Cionel Perez got struck out seven in 51-pitch outing. Norge Ruiz threw 40 pitches and struck out six. Each pitched 3 innings. #Cuba

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:12 am

We gave Morel 800K, pretty solid bonus for a guy that wasn't on our radar at all(via PSD and I saw an article on Twitter that verified it)

A while back, I looked up P Jose Albertos and SS Isaac Parades, as it interested me that they were brought over for Instructs without any fanfare. Couldn't find anything related to bonuses, but I did see an article on each. Albertos hits 95 MPH and is 6'4. Paredes is from Mexico, the article called him a 5 tool player(fluff I guess?) But said he did get one of the largest bonuses to come out of Mexico. No number attached, but that definitely intrigues me even more on him.

As a reminder, in Mexico, the player only receives 25% of the bonus, his team gets the rest. Its also much harder to finalize deals there and its not scouted nearly as much as the Dominican Republic. Julio Urias came from Mexico(we came close to signing him actually) but was not even listed in Barker's top 30 that year, due to lack of info. So who knows? Parades may be an elite guy for all we know.

Return to “Minor Leagues”