Re: Minor League Discussion & Boxes, 8-16-15

Postby jumbo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:35 am

What happened to McKinney?

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:10 am

jumbo wrote:What happened to McKinney?

Left game after fouling ball off knee and now on DL, presumably as a result.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:09 pm

happ has tripled, homered and walked. third homer in four games.

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
jumbo wrote:What happened to McKinney?

Left game after fouling ball off knee and now on DL, presumably as a result.

Dang, how did I not notice that.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Preston Morrison, probably the most high profile of the college RHs the Cubs took this year along with Berg, made a start for Eugene. He threw 3 perfect innings with 4 Ks. He's been performing very well since going pro - sub-1 ERA, 17 Ks, 3 BBs, 8 Hs, and 1 ER in 13.1 innings for Eugene. He's a pretty boring prospect in that he's a smaller RH without big velocity, but I like TCU arms and Morrison was among their more recognizable picks, seemed like he was a good value in the 8th.

Kyle Twomey, one of the most interesting arms in the system and also a 2015 draft, piggybacked. He threw 3 no hit innings with a walk and 3 Ks. ERA down to 1.80, though his periphs wouldn't support that (duh).

6'5" 20 YO RH Luis Hernandez is now in. He struck out 2 and didn't allow a hit in his first inning. Hernandez is basically a more physical Oscar de la Cruz, little more weight and meat on him right now.

Vinestal
All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:02 pm

Chesny Young 3/4 with a double today hitting .335 with a .392 OBP

ARCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ARCubsFan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 pm

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:Preston Morrison, probably the most high profile of the college RHs the Cubs took this year along with Berg, made a start for Eugene. He threw 3 perfect innings with 4 Ks. He's been performing very well since going pro - sub-1 ERA, 17 Ks, 3 BBs, 8 Hs, and 1 ER in 13.1 innings for Eugene. He's a pretty boring prospect in that he's a smaller RH without big velocity, but I like TCU arms and Morrison was among their more recognizable picks, seemed like he was a good value in the 8th.

Kyle Twomey, one of the most interesting arms in the system and also a 2015 draft, piggybacked. He threw 3 no hit innings with a walk and 3 Ks. ERA down to 1.80, though his periphs wouldn't support that (duh).

6'5" 20 YO RH Luis Hernandez is now in. He struck out 2 and didn't allow a hit in his first inning. Hernandez is basically a more physical Oscar de la Cruz, little more weight and meat on him right now.

And Trey Masek just completed the no-hitter. The first for the Emeralds since 1968.
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:32 pm

It is 108 degrees at the stadium in Las Vegas

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:42 pm

ctcf wrote:It is 108 degrees at the stadium in Las Vegas

That would be a cold snap in Mesa.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:43 pm

Hernandez struck out 4 in 2 with 2 BBs if anyone is curious. I really look forward to this group of pitchers in Eugene hitting full season ball. Just like this wave of arms much better than the first (which doesn't mean much, no one's a true standout yet).

Eugene pitchers that should see full season ball next year:

Kellogg - 6'5" LHSP, 88-91 on the fastball, 93 peak, improved his curveball in his last year at ASU, good changeup
Twomey - 6'3" LHSP, 88-92, has hit at least 94 if not 95 in college, good changeup, needs a breaking ball
Morrison - Carlos Villanueva/Shaun Marcum kind of arm if things go well, I think. 87-91, uses his secondaries.
Steele - Listed 6'2" lefty that looks more like 6', solid build, 89-91 t93, confident, aggressive, pitches up and looks to get hitters to change his breaking ball. I think he's a reliever similar to former Pirates LHRP Justin Wilson.
de la Cruz - I comp him to Ivan Nova of the Yankees. 89-93 now, hoping for more. Good curveball at it's best.
Sands - Some size, but I saw him 86-91 with bad spin. Bonus baby is still healthy, young, and LH so infinity chances.
Paulino - Might be the hardest thrower in the group. 6'2" long and lean 20 YO LHP also has a slider and a changeup. More of a prospect than I think gets acknowledged, arguably the most interesting between him, Sands, and Steele as a SP.
Brink - Averaged sized RHRP with long limbs and an athletic build, good breaking ball, can hit 96.

Aruajo and Efreuga are performing well, but I don't know who they are. Jared Cheek had a good college career, but I don't know much about him either.
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:19 pm

Baez with 2 hits, including a double, and a BB in 3 PAs tonight.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:22 pm

Javy is 2-2 with a double, a walk, and a stolen base.

Definitely cherry picking here, but in his last 9 games: 5 BB and only 5 K in 35 PA.

And on a semi-related note, I'm really not coping well with minorleaguecentral.com still not being updated.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:57 pm

And my penance for cherry picking a small sample size is a strikeout swinging in his next AB.

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:26 am

Aruajo and Efreuga are performing well, but I don't know who they are.

Araujo's been around since 2011-3 years DSL, 1 ASL and he's always had a lot of K's, not a ton of walks. Love his numbers throughout his career. If you find anything regarding his stuff and what not, I'd love it.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:34 am

Baez ending up K'ing in his last two PAs last night. A boo.

SCS, I don't think anyone will pop up about those guys unless they do it for a while in some full season leagues. Eregua really has things working against him as a 5'11" RH reliever prospect. If you're into being a hipster about these IFA arm prospects doing alright at this point, why not Jose Paulino? He showed a variety of skills while in the DSL leagues (grounders last year, Ks the year before), is actually younger than both those guys, probably throws harder, and does it all with the fairer hand.

Little Slide Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:04 am

Hard to pick and choose who to follow in terms of DSL/VSL; from what I hear, and maybe I'm wrong, the skill level is not much better than college, in that for every guy who even makes it to the next level, there's 20-25 who are done after 2-3 years. At least in terms of guys who weren't top IFA prospects. And for themto warrant anything resembling mainstream attention, they have to be something special at an early age IE Castro, Candelerio, Daury Torrez.

In terms of DSL/VSL guys, Carlos Rodriguez is the one I've followed the closest. He seems to be doing decent in his second shot at the AZL, though his numbers are somewhat skewed from a 2 IP/10ER stomping on June 28.

Yeiler Peguero's my latest. 17 yo switch hitting SS with more BBs than K's.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:24 am

Rodriguez was interesting until it turns out he wasn't. There was always some worry that, as a shorter pitcher, he had no stuff and a meh body. From the sound of it, or lack thereof, he's probably a throwaway org arm.

If I'm looking through the VSL or DSL rosters, find the youngest and biggest guys who are performing best. Hitters just go for youngest and find the most power or the best contact skills and plate discipline, probably the best defenders...Pitchers - size is a thing, strikeouts and not giving up HRs as a thing, hope to read something on velocity or stuff somewhere.

If you want one this year - it's Wander Cabrera. Peguero is a decent choice among the position players, there's probably 1-2 other bats who need another year or two in the league to stew before being interesting. Have some hope Cabrera will be in AZ next year.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:18 pm

Just look for guys with at least six figure bonuses. As much as I love following prospects, it's easier to just do that for now and once scouting reports on others pop up on occasion once they hit the complex league, you can start adding them in then.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:50 pm

davell wrote:Just look for guys with at least six figure bonuses. As much as I love following prospects, it's easier to just do that for now and once scouting reports on others pop up on occasion once they hit the complex league, you can start adding them in then.

Yep.

Both Wander Cabrera and Yeiler Peguero got $250k last year, the max the Cubs could offer a free agent.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:05 pm

davell wrote:Just look for guys with at least six figure bonuses. As much as I love following prospects, it's easier to just do that for now and once scouting reports on others pop up on occasion once they hit the complex league, you can start adding them in then.

Lol, that too. Definitely helps to know a guy was somewhat well thought of before entering the org - that's definitely what made me optimistic about Cabrera to go with his performance so far.

Little Slide Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:01 pm

The obvious answer. And I know this is a bit OT, but it did get me thinking how the big names of the Great Internarional Free Agent Splurge of 2013 stack up against the recommended slot bonuses for MLB Draft Picks:

At 2.8MM, Eloy Jimenez got roughly the equivalent of a mid 1st Round Pick.

Gleybar Torres (1.7MM) and Jen Ho Tseng (1.625MM) each got that of a late 1st Round/ Supplemental rounder.

Frandy DeLarosa (700K) Erling Moreno (750K) and Jefferson Mejia ($850K) got roughly 3rd round $.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:27 pm

It seems like the correct way to approach that, but it's just not. Lucius Fox is the perfect example. He was heading towards being an extremely late 1st rounder to early 2nd round draft pick this past season, from a talent standpoint. 1.5-2 mill slot type guy monetarily. He petitioned to be taken out of the draft and put into the IFA class instead(he's from the Bahamas) and was granted it. He got 6.5 mill that way. 3 to 4 times what he'd have gotten in the draft.

The reason for this? Teams feel more comfortable punting an IFA class or two and going "all-in" on one. Much easier to get lucky in scouting 15 year olds than it is once they get even a few years older too, so who's to say you're even punting?

At any rate, the penalties show that they're way too harsh with the draft, since no team has done it. On the IFA side though, teams just see it as a loophole and multiple teams go over whenever they can.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Slide Castro Slide wrote:

The obvious answer. And I know this is a bit OT, but it did get me thinking how the big names of the Great Internarional Free Agent Splurge of 2013 stack up against the recommended slot bonuses for MLB Draft Picks:

At 2.8MM, Eloy Jimenez got roughly the equivalent of a mid 1st Round Pick.

Gleybar Torres (1.7MM) and Jen Ho Tseng (1.625MM) each got that of a late 1st Round/ Supplemental rounder.

Frandy DeLarosa (700K) Erling Moreno (750K) and Jefferson Mejia ($850K) got roughly 3rd round $.

Eh... way different. The draft and IFA work under different signing pool caps. The international guys are also mostly 16-year-olds, and thus are way bigger boom or bust prospects, with emphasis on the "bust."

And if there weren't a cap on the draft, those top picks would get way more than they are getting. The money for both should be viewed much differently, as there are a variety of reasons and differences in process that lead to those bonuses.

Return to “Minor Leagues”