David Garner
Pierce Johnson
Rob Zastryzny
Cael Brockmeyer (Taxi Squad)
Wilson Contreras
Jeimer Candelario
Mark Zagunis

Here is the full list:

Last edited by ctcf on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Re: AZL Fall League Roster

Postby ctcf » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Also of note, Myrtle Beach manager Mark Johnson will be managing the Mesa team this year, per Brett's write-up @ Bleachernation (http://www.bleachernation.com/2015/09/0 ... t-blowout/)

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:50 pm

i'd love to follow this this year but i'm going to be busy watching playoff baseball

apete6
All-Star

Postby apete6 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:52 pm

Besides the pitchers (and, really, probably including the pitchers), that's just a list of trade bait, right? Not that some of these guys couldn't be very good MLB players, but I would think that the Cubs hope these guys have great AZL seasons to boost trade value.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:56 pm

apete6 wrote:Besides the pitchers (and, really, probably including the pitchers), that's just a list of trade bait, right? Not that some of these guys couldn't be very good MLB players, but I would think that the Cubs hope these guys have great AZL seasons to boost trade value.

Not really. I mean, sure, they could trade them. But Zagunis, Candelario and Contreras are actual prospects. And they are older prospects that aren't top-flight prospects -- guys that had break-out years. They are definitely guys that we want a longer look at against good competition.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:07 pm

Holy crap...Miami is sending Elliot Soto?!?
Spoiler: show

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Candelario is definitely there to increase his trade value. He's blocked at the major league level and it's also iffy if he's a definite 40 man add.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:15 pm

David Garner isn't a real person.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:39 pm

davell wrote:Candelario is definitely there to increase his trade value. He's blocked at the major league level and it's also iffy if he's a definite 40 man add.

They're all there to help increase trade value.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:15 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:
davell wrote:Candelario is definitely there to increase his trade value. He's blocked at the major league level and it's also iffy if he's a definite 40 man add.

They're all there to help increase trade value.

Good God. Read the rest of what I said. He's blocked and an iffy addition to the 40 man.
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:34 pm

Is that what happened? I didn't read the rest the second and last sentence? They're all blocked and iffy for the 40 man. Not sure how many teams got extended looks at Contreras, Johnson, and even Zagunis either, but they'll all be under the microscope in the AFL.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Johnson and Contreras are pretty much shoo-ins for a 40 man spot, and Zastryzny, Brockmyer, Garner, and Zagunis are not Rule 5 eligible yet. Black and Candelario are the only ones truly playing for their Cubs future(or trade value, as it were).

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:59 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Johnson and Contreras are pretty much shoo-ins for a 40 man spot, and Zastryzny, Brockmyer, Garner, and Zagunis are not Rule 5 eligible yet. Black and Candelario are the only ones truly playing for their Cubs future(or trade value, as it were).

It's not such a coincidence that the Rule 5 draft is comfortably after the AFL season starts and finishes. While I think Johnson and Contreras are shoo ins to be protected if they're around, neither actually being on the 40 man yet and not needing to be until December kind of makes the AFL a situation where trade value is also in the picture. Every team is seeing these guys and they're the only pro prospects playing at that time, it's pretty much a showcase.

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:59 am

Duke Silver wrote:
apete6 wrote:Besides the pitchers (and, really, probably including the pitchers), that's just a list of trade bait, right? Not that some of these guys couldn't be very good MLB players, but I would think that the Cubs hope these guys have great AZL seasons to boost trade value.

Not really. I mean, sure, they could trade them. But Zagunis, Candelario and Contreras are actual prospects. And they are older prospects that aren't top-flight prospects -- guys that had break-out years. They are definitely guys that we want a longer look at against good competition.

"Older" is a relative term so this could just be semantics, but I wouldn't call Candelario who is 21 and doing quite well in AA an older prospect. He's two years young for the Southern League and putting up a line of .294/.366/.462 with 16 walks against 19 Ks in around 170 PAs. I'd describe him as young, actually. I understand the term applying to Zagunis and Contreras a little more easily, but each of those guys are age appropriate for their level as well.
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

Duke Silver
All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:46 am

CubsWin wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

"Older" is a relative term so this could just be semantics, but I wouldn't call Candelario who is 21 and doing quite well in AA an older prospect. He's two years young for the Southern League and putting up a line of .294/.366/.462 with 16 walks against 19 Ks in around 170 PAs. I'd describe him as young, actually. I understand the term applying to Zagunis and Contreras a little more easily, but each of those guys are age appropriate for their level as well.

Yeah, you're right. I meant "older," as in the sense that they aren't, like, Gleyber or Eloy-type young. And Jeimer is also a "older," in the sense that he has been in the system for such a long time.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:06 am

If anyone cares, the AFL starts today and Pierce Johnson gets the start.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:44 am

Also, Contreras is batting third for Mesa.

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:24 am

Contreras really only 175 lbs?

If he made it to the majors next year and caught Edwards, they'd have to set some sort of record for lowest combined battery weight, right?

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:14 pm

@jnorris427: Also, Willson Contreras is a bad man. Squared 99 from Reyes up the box. Also was popping 1.85 in infield. #Cubs

I know Candelario went 3/4 yesterday. Other than that, I'll admit to not keeping up too well so far. Johnson pitched, but I literally saw zero tweets on him, so I'm assuming he didn't look good obviously.

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:48 pm

Not that it matters over here, but Gary Sanchez continues to be a badass bat first catching prospect. The Cecchini brother that plays for the Mets is going to be a pretty good player too.

Candelario showing some chutzpah, but otherwise the other Cubs hitters are boring. Zastrzny maybe showing he might be a better relief prospect than SP prospect, there's worse things for him to be. Black might be the keeper in the bunch.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Wilson Contreras is boring?

TomtheBombadil
Starter

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:34 pm

ctcf wrote:Wilson Contreras is boring?

Nah, that was aimed at Zagunis and McKinney, who turns out to not be in the AFL. I want to be more sure about Contreras' defense, he might actually be alright. Could be RHH version of Montero if things go really well, but probably he's not so good.

davell
Superstar

Postby davell » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:52 pm

So Contreras has a 2B and a HR today, which is nice.

But not remotely comparable to Candelario having a 1B, 2 2B's, and 2 HR's. Jesus.

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:00 pm

Yeah, they were both pretty good today.

https://twitter.com/MLBPipeline/status/ ... 6401926144
I like beer.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:23 am

Wow, fun to see Candelario so hot. If you add his fall league numbers to his Myrtle and Tennessee stats for the summer, his 2015 composite would now be over .800 OPS, at age 21. With a batting average up around .288, and good K/BB/HR splits.

Normally middle not corner is prototype for utility player. But in the hypothetical that he could become decent at LF/1B, a switch-hitting 3B/1B/LF guy could be pretty useful, if he was a pretty professional hitter from both sides. He's got some pretty inconsistent lefty-righty splits, so not clear if he's got a definitively stronger better side.

Return to “Minor Leagues”