Inner-Circle HOF

Cubs in Winter Leagues

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:04 pm

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Re: Cubs in Winter Leagues

Postby CubsWin » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:17 am

Thanks, Raisin!
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

craig
All-Star

Postby craig » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:20 am

he's been struggling even worse in winter league than in the states. Even after the 4-4 day, he's still only at .218, 20K/0HR. Ouch.

Bear Cub
Role Player

Postby Bear Cub » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:06 am

Christian Villanueva is ripping things up in Mexico this winter. He might be a good backup option at 1B and 3B next year. He is also out of options.
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Tryptamine
All-Star

Postby Tryptamine » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:04 am

Bear Cub wrote:Christian Villanueva is ripping things up in Mexico this winter. He might be a good backup option at 1B and 3B next year. He is also out of options.

Yeah, he has my vote for 2nd infielder off the bench with Lastella being the other.He should be an improvement over Herrera, at least.

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:39 am

Tryptamine wrote:
Bear Cub wrote:Christian Villanueva is ripping things up in Mexico this winter. He might be a good backup option at 1B and 3B next year. He is also out of options.

Yeah, he has my vote for 2nd infielder off the bench with Lastella being the other.He should be an improvement over Herrera, at least.

ooh this would be pretty cool

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:19 pm

ctcf wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Part of me thinks if Villanueva has a big offensive first half he could be a valuable trading chip. Then the other part of me is like "He's never been that guy" and agrees with this sentiment of him being a solid backup IF.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Bilbo161
Role Player

Postby Bilbo161 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:22 pm

The Logan wrote:
ctcf wrote:
Tryptamine wrote:

Part of me thinks if Villanueva has a big offensive first half he could be a valuable trading chip. Then the other part of me is like "He's never been that guy" and agrees with this sentiment of him being a solid backup IF.

Yea Villanueva has been looking real good.
Player POS G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG OPS E
Christian Villanueva 3B 42 148 28 53 6 0 5 19 74 26 16 3 2 .464 .500 .358 .964 4

26/16 BB/SO on top of that line of .358/.464/.500 Would love to see him get some big league exposure before trading him as a toss-in. He might up his value quite a bit.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:31 pm

Could Villanueva be a super-sub/utility type guy for us? Can he Play 3B/2B/1B/COF as a bench/platoon type guy?
Screw Pitchers

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:19 am

We're talking about the Christian Villanueva who put up a .750 OPS while repeating AAA in his age 24 season last year?

I mean, anything's possible, but as it stands he's not a serious candidate for an MLB job.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:47 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:We're talking about the Christian Villanueva who put up a .750 OPS while repeating AAA in his age 24 season last year?

I mean, anything's possible, but as it stands he's not a serious candidate for an MLB job.

Sure, he shouldn't just be given a job. But he should be considered just as much as rat boy for the last bench spot. Especially if he proves to be as, or more, versatile defensively.
Screw Pitchers

jumbo
Starter

Postby jumbo » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:37 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:We're talking about the Christian Villanueva who put up a .750 OPS while repeating AAA in his age 24 season last year?

Sure, he shouldn't just be given a job. But he should be considered just as much as rat boy for the last bench spot. Especially if he proves to be as, or more, versatile defensively.

What are the odds that Alcantara can reach some level of competence at the plate to make it in a utility role?

CubsWin
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubsWin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:42 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Could Villanueva be a super-sub/utility type guy for us? Can he Play 3B/2B/1B/COF as a bench/platoon type guy?

Villanueva has been tried at 2B when he was with the Texans and reports at the time of his trade said it didn't end well. He's played a total of 20 innings at that position in his time with the Cubs. He's primarily been a 3B and was pushed to 1B this past season in AAA. He probably could play some LF as well, but has limited experience there thus far. If he's being considered as a bench guy, he'd primarily be a 3B/1B.

Unfortunately, his bat has been uninspiring. Sure, he's putting up great numbers in a small sample in the Mexican League this winter, but he played there last season and produced at about the same rate as he did in AAA last year which was, well, uninspiring. Unless his bat as majorly turned a corner and he lights up spring training and AAA in the beginning of 2016, there's little reason to think his performance this winter is meaningful.
"I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending for the N.Y. Yankees." — Brian Cashman.

Bilbo161
Role Player

Postby Bilbo161 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:55 am

CubsWin wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Could Villanueva be a super-sub/utility type guy for us? Can he Play 3B/2B/1B/COF as a bench/platoon type guy?

Villanueva has been tried at 2B when he was with the Texans and reports at the time of his trade said it didn't end well. He's played a total of 20 innings at that position in his time with the Cubs. He's primarily been a 3B and was pushed to 1B this past season in AAA. He probably could play some LF as well, but has limited experience there thus far. If he's being considered as a bench guy, he'd primarily be a 3B/1B.

Unfortunately, his bat has been uninspiring. Sure, he's putting up great numbers in a small sample in the Mexican League this winter, but he played there last season and produced at about the same rate as he did in AAA last year which was, well, uninspiring. Unless his bat as majorly turned a corner and he lights up spring training and AAA in the beginning of 2016, there's little reason to think his performance this winter is meaningful.

Certainly not too inspiring considering how spoiled we have gotten lately. But, he does seem to be developing the kind of strike zone control that fits the system well. I'm just hoping he gets a chance to compete for a bench role and kind-of go from there. Just noticed last night's line. 1-3, 2 walks and 4 RBI's? Yep, he gets more time from me.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:02 pm

I mean, if you squint hard enough, the difference between a meh AAA player and an acceptable bench bat is small enough that you can convince yourself the former might be the latter. But you can pick up guys on waivers and off the minor league free agent market at will who are better than what Villanueva has shown to date.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Assuming "rat boy" is a Alcantara, I wouldn't consider him a serous candidate for an MLB job either.

Vanilla Ice
5-Time All-Star

Postby Vanilla Ice » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:30 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Assuming "rat boy" is a Alcantara, I wouldn't consider him a serous candidate for an MLB job either.

I was thinking that meant La Stella

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:44 pm

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Assuming "rat boy" is a Alcantara, I wouldn't consider him a serous candidate for an MLB job either.

Rat boy is LaStella, I absolutely consider him a serious candidate for a MLB job to start the year on the bench unless we add someone, Maddon used him a lot in important games down the stretch and in the playoffs.
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:25 pm

CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I like this a lot
Screw Pitchers

Vinestal
All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:59 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I like this a lot

Baez starting in RF for Cangrejeros tonight in the Roberto Clemente Professional Baseball League. He was 1/2 with an RBI single and a ground out last update I saw.

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Doug Dascenzo! I had no idea he was with the organization. The original Rat Boy.

CaliforniaRaisin
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby CaliforniaRaisin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:04 pm

http://www.pasionxeldeporte.com/beisbol ... um=twitter

Gleyber Torres will miss playing in the VWL because of a ligament injury in his hand. He just needs rest, not surgery.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:09 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I like this a lot

http://youtu.be/NH9t44iOiA4
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Vinestal
All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:05 am

Vinestal wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
CaliforniaRaisin wrote:

I like this a lot

Baez starting in RF for Cangrejeros tonight in the Roberto Clemente Professional Baseball League. He was 1/2 with an RBI single and a ground out last update I saw.

TheCCO-Minors @TheCCO_Minors
MLB.com has retracted @javy23baez playing RF for @CangrejerosPR last night and now is listing Edgardo Baez in RF

Return to “Minor Leagues”