The Movie Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 pm

OMC is nuts. Bale would've been a train wreck in Revenant. I liked DiCaprio a lot. Hardy is next level, though

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:17 pm

Oh, and the trailer for Hail, Caesar! was amaaaazing

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:20 pm

Derwood wrote:OMC is nuts. Bale would've been a train wreck in Revenant. I liked DiCaprio a lot. Hardy is next level, though

Bale is flat out terrible more often than not. He's been great at times, but his range is like the size of a pin.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:35 pm

in the hateful eight, i thought

Abbc3 Spoiler Show

was pretty damn hilarious
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:OMC is nuts. Bale would've been a train wreck in Revenant. I liked DiCaprio a lot. Hardy is next level, though

Bale is flat out terrible more often than not. He's been great at times, but his range is like the size of a pin.

++++

I thought the Big Short was his best.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:25 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

++++

I thought the Big Short was his best.

Yeah, that's the kind of thing he's fine in. Just let him be the hyper-intense supporting character.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:37 pm

Some of the cinematography in Revenant was mind bending. That said, the director was going a little Terrance Malick with the nature shots. We get it, he's in the woods, we don't need 23 minutes of tree establishing shots

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Brian wrote:I had heard a Tarantino super-fan give a less than enthusiastic review of the Hateful Eight so I went in with low expectations and loved it.

Spoiler: show
I just wish I hadn't known Channing Tatum was in it, because I think his reveal would have played better for me that way.

I enjoyed it, but I think it's my least favorite Tarantino film. Felt more like a genre exercise or a filmmaking experiment than an actual movie.

Hasn't every movie he's made since Jackie Brown been one though? Even Natural Born Killers was more or less a 90's remaster of Badlands or The Sadist.

I actually enjoyed this one more than anything he's done since Kill Bill, but I'm not sure if that's because I'm a sucker for westerns (and Morricone) or because Django was absolute dreck, Basterds doesn't hold up outside the Christopher Waltz scenes, and his half of Grindhouse was unwatchable after the first car crash.

But I can't honestly recommend it. A film major buddy has always called him a "higher brow Seth Mcfarlane". I disagree, but Jesus H Christ, the "occasional" homage we enjoyed in his '90s movies seems to have become the whole movie.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Kill Bill, Basterds and Django were more revenge fantasy films than genre exercises. Looking forward to the new one (have to make time to see it)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:59 pm

Lenny wrote:Basterds doesn't hold up outside the Christopher Waltz scenes

Waltz isn't in the basement scene, and that just might be the greatest thing Tarantino's put to film.

But as a whole he is what he is; I don't mind the homages and tributes and stylistic choices. And ultimately I DID like The Hateful Eight, but, despite the whole 70MM hooplah, it's the least cinematic of his films, and his love of the artform and its history has always been one of his strengths. Confining most of the movie to one location ultimately ended up feeling like something he dared himself to do, and technically it works, but it ends up feeling like a play that was adapted for the screen, and coming from a guy who is a [expletive] MOVIE guy, it just felt lacking. And it's the first time with any of his movies that the cartoonish violence just felt completely pointless and it annoyed me. It felt like he kept putting it in there any time he was worried anyone might accuse him and the film of being too mature.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

It's a shame he seems kinda bitter over Jackie Brown; the few times he's discussed it in recent years he seems to either resent how, at the time, it was seen as a relative failure coming after Pulp Fiction and that he doesn't look at it as really being his film since it's an adaptation of an Elmore Leonard novel. THAT's the type of movie I want to see him pull off again, and he's had flashes of it in his movies since. The long final confrontation between Beatrix and Bill in KB2; the farmhouse, restaurant and basement scenes in IB; the quieter moments in DU. Based on all of that, I couldn't [expletive] WAIT for TH8; almost nobody writes conversations and people sitting around talking like this [expletive]. And there's plenty of enjoyable moments along those lines in it, but, man, it could have been great. Instead its just a good gimmick flick.

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:10 pm

After a private screening of an immaculate 35mm copy at Frontenac recently, what I want to see is a 70mm remaster of Mean Streets, Scorceses' first dip into the Mafia genre (and he obviously loved him some Godard), but a brilliant counterpoint to the Coppola/Puzo Opera that defined the genre. At least until Scorceses' 2nd film.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Lenny wrote:After a private screening of an immaculate 35mm copy at Frontenac recently, what I want to see is a 70mm remaster

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It doesn't really work like that. Do you mean IMAX "remastering?"

At least until Scorceses' 2nd film.

Mean Streets was technically his third film. His next film was Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Plus I have no idea what "at least until his 2nd film" means after "but a brilliant counterpoint to the Coppola/Puzo Opera that defined the genre."

Lenny
Starter

Postby Lenny » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:42 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Lenny wrote:After a private screening of an immaculate 35mm copy at Frontenac recently, what I want to see is a 70mm remaster

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

No, it was an original print, sourced from the Wehrenbergs.

At least until Scorceses' 2nd film.

Mean Streets was technically his third film. His next film was Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. Plus I have no idea what "at least until his 2nd film" means after "but a brilliant counterpoint to the Coppola/Puzo Opera that defined the genre."

I meant his second mafia movie (Raging Bull was something else), and I stand by my criticism of The Godfather. It always seemed as contrived and manipulative as The Natural to me.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Lenny wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I get that; it was the "70mm remaster part." Really the only thing close to that is if a film is "remastered" into a true IMAX format, but that would be a pretty awkward way to see something like MS. A restored 35mm is about as good as you can (and, arguably, should) get.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Lenny wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I get that; it was the "70mm remaster part." Really the only thing close to that is if a film is "remastered" into a true IMAX format, but that would be a pretty awkward way to see something like MS. A restored 35mm is about as good as you can (and, arguably, should) get.

He doesn't care, he was just trying to show off that he saw a private showing.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:45 pm

lol Martian won Best Comedy

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:06 pm

Ricky gervais ended it with "from myself and Mel Gibson, shalom." Cannot top that.

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:21 pm

since there is Globes talk here, I'll just drop this in here

:lol:

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:44 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:Ricky gervais ended it with "from myself and Mel Gibson, shalom." Cannot top that.

scorching hot, super timely mel gibson joke.

ricky gervais sucks.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:04 pm

This thread should inspire the creeps here posting, inexplicably, about the Golden Globes to watch a [expletive] movie instead.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:30 pm

everyone with a take on the golden globes watch any preston sturges movie instead and improve your life

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:38 pm

What even are golden globes?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:17 am

abuck1220 wrote:
Ryne Ween wrote:Ricky gervais ended it with "from myself and Mel Gibson, shalom." Cannot top that.

ricky gervais sucks.

Oh come on, he had a whole bit earlier where he asked Mel GIbson to his face what "sugar [expletive]" meant. I get Ricky isn't a brand of humor for everyone, but with Mel there, it made total sense.

CubsBearsMagic
All-Star

Postby CubsBearsMagic » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:23 am

seanimal wrote:in the hateful eight, i thought

Abbc3 Spoiler Show

was pretty damn hilarious

Honestly I think laughed more during TH8 than any other Tarantino movie I've seen.
I demand dongs. I demand annihilation.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 am

Banedon wrote:
abuck1220 wrote:

ricky gervais sucks.

Oh come on, he had a whole bit earlier where he asked Mel GIbson to his face what "sugar [expletive]" meant. I get Ricky isn't a brand of humor for everyone, but with Mel there, it made total sense.

Wait, why the [expletive] was Gibson there?

Return to “Social”