The Movie Thread

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby NOLA » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:29 pm

A good example of getting it right is Silence of the Lambs.. Jodie Foster nailed a West Virginia accent and it added to the backstory of the character. She could have mailed it in with some generic hick accent but she didn't.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:36 pm

Derwood wrote:It's not nonsense. Why do you think every movie set in Europe has generic British accents regardless of what country they're in?

Because pointlessly having non-native actors do German or Russian or French or Italian or whatever accents is usually dumb and distracting and makes them sound like cartoons. Unless you're having the actors actually speak the language, it's not that hard to wrap your brain around the idea of "oh, they're actually not speaking English within the context of the film."
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:37 pm

NOLA wrote:A good example of getting it right is Silence of the Lambs.. Jodie Foster nailed a West Virginia accent and it added to the backstory of the character. She could have mailed it in with some generic hick accent but she didn't.

I'll take your word for it; I'd bet good money that the vast majority of people who saw that movie just thought she had a random "southern accent."

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:It's not nonsense. Why do you think every movie set in Europe has generic British accents regardless of what country they're in?

Because pointlessly having non-native actors do German or Russian or French or Italian or whatever accents is usually dumb and distracting and makes them sound like cartoons.

OR, good actors could actually study native accents.

On a somewhat related note, The Hunt for Red October handled the issue of characters speaking a foreign language perfectly very early in the movie. Connery's Russian slowly became English as the camera panned away then back again:

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:44 pm

White, black, European, Mexican, hick, terrorist. There goes your 5 accent theory.

Also, I know quite a few people from West Virginia. She should have gone full hill jack to get that right. I certainly wouldn't accuse her of nailing it.

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:46 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:White, black, European, Mexican, hick, terrorist. There goes your 5 accent theory.

Also, I know quite a few people from West Virginia. She should have gone full hill jack to get that right. I certainly wouldn't accuse her of nailing it.

Not to nitpick, but she was a WV native who had left the state awhile. Known several from there myself, and she got the little nuances down IMO.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:White, black, European, Mexican, hick, terrorist. There goes your 5 accent theory.

Three subsets of "White" are Southern, Boston and Brooklym

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:48 pm

NOLA wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Because pointlessly having non-native actors do German or Russian or French or Italian or whatever accents is usually dumb and distracting and makes them sound like cartoons.

OR, good actors could actually study native accents.

The ability to do a convincing accent has little to do with how good an actor someone is. That's basically just mimicry. It's a skill, to be sure, but it would be ridiculous to dismiss a good or great performance just because someone doesn't nail an accent or uses their own accent. What, I'm supposed to think The Wire isn't actually as good as it is just because Dominic West's accent sounds like a smorgasbord of Atlantic American accents mixed with a stroke victim? Of course not. Giancarlo Espositio's accent and Spanish on Breaking Bad were apparently HORRENDOUSLY inaccurate; so what?

And this is hardly unique to America; huge countries like China constantly have a few fans griping about how people who are supposed to be from somewhere in a film sound wrong. Film industries as big as Bollywood get the same thing, or films and TV shows from countries with as many accents and dialects as the UK does. It's just not worth wasting the time when they're making it.

And the shift in Red October is well done, but the movie itself is a good example of not getting bogged down with accents. Most of the Soviet crew are played Eastern European actors, but then you have Sam Neil basically doing a bad Dracula impersonation, Tim Curry sounding like Tim Curry and Sean Connery just sounding like Sean Connery for 95% of the film. And it works. The Russian they speak is sloppy and phonetically broken down...the song sung over the opening score was just made up for the film and is just Russian gibberish. Does it suffer for all of these inaccuracies? No way. Hell, look at Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber; who in their right mind thinks that's anywhere close to an actual German accent? Who cares?
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:51 pm

everybody from chicago does sound like da bears. going away for a long time and coming back really reinforces that fact.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:52 pm

Only because we've trained move goers to be dumb and only understand 5 accents.

And of course accents are just mimicry. And it's not distracting unless it's just unbelievably bad. Is it distracting to you when British actors use American accents?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Derwood wrote:Only because we've trained move goers to be dumb and only understand 5 accents.

You do realize this isn't just an American thing, right?

And of course accents are just mimicry. And it's not distracting unless it's just unbelievably bad. Is it distracting to you when British actors use American accents?

Only when it's Ewan McGregor.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Derwood wrote:Only because we've trained move goers to be dumb and only understand 5 accents.

this is ridiculous.

No, we haven't trained American movie goers to be dumb and only understand 5 accents. That's how the [expletive] world works. People who are unfamiliar with the nuances of another language are not going to notice. Comparatively few people would notice the problems and it's just dumb to waste time and resources on having all actors make sure their accent is right for the part they are playing. Sometimes it is necessary but most of the time it has nothing to do with the quality of the movie and nitpicking it is just pointless.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:15 pm

Having ancient Romans use British accents isn't about "nuance"

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:16 pm

Derwood wrote:Having Romans use British accents isn't about "nuance"

Would you prefer they speak latin or english with a modern italian accent?

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:18 pm

heya, you a maximiso, whya youa notta wanta bow to the emperor? You makea me so angry?

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:18 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

why are those my only two choices?

I find it hilarious that audiences would be distracted by French characters in France having French accents. "I can't even concentrate on the story! Why can't they just speak British like everyone else?"

Ryne Ween
All-Star

Postby Ryne Ween » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:On the flipside, here's him and Emma Thompson in Judas Kiss, doing brutally bad New Orleans accents:

https://youtu.be/sHa5_ISldJo

I want to punch that screenplay. Based on that clip that has to Sorkins favorite movie.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:29 pm

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

I find it hilarious that audiences would be distracted by French characters in France having French accents. "I can't even concentrate on the story! Why can't they just speak British like everyone else?"

Most people would end up sounding like Pepe LePew. Between it making the movie ridiculous and being a waste of time that severely limits who you can cast in the first place, why bother?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:31 pm

Ryne Ween wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:On the flipside, here's him and Emma Thompson in Judas Kiss, doing brutally bad New Orleans accents:

https://youtu.be/sHa5_ISldJo

I want to punch that screenplay. Based on that clip that has to Sorkins favorite movie.

The movie's actually not THAT bad; I remember it being on HBO all the damn time, and you can do a lot worse than Rickman and Thompson being charming (albeit with terrible accents). Plus: 90's Carla Gugino.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

Most people would end up sounding like Pepe LePew. Between it making the movie ridiculous and being a waste of time that severely limits who you can cast in the first place, why bother?

Are there no dialect coaches in Hollywood. Your thinking is lazy.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:52 pm

Dialect coaches aren't magicians; a lot of actors just suck at accents. And most of the time all a dialect coach is doing is re-writing their script phonetically in the accent or dialect they're supposed to be doing, which ends up sounding awkward as hell if the actor doesn't have a knack for it. If they're going to waste their time like that, I'd rather they just go whole hog and have them do the movie in the native language phonetically instead of just a pointless accent.

But ultimately I'd much rather simply have a good performance than listening to some chucklehead chewing on an accent that serves no purpose except to reinforce information we already know (ie "THIS PERSON IS FRENCH. THIS MOVIE IS SET IN FRANCE").

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:56 pm

I'm picturing Derwood watching something amazing like Paths of Glory and just crossing his arms and pouting the whole time like an [expletive] because Kirk Douglas doesn't sound like Inspector Clouseau.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Watching a movie set in France and everyone has British accents is hugely distracting.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:04 pm

Derwood wrote:Watching a movie set in France and everyone has British accents is hugely distracting.

How could it possibly be "distracting" for more than the two seconds it takes to figure out what the deal is? You figure out the movie is set in France and the characters are supposed to be French. The end.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:20 pm

bad accents in a movie is slightly annoying but in no way, shape, or form, something that changes the overall quality or value of the film (or a distraction). it's one of those things when you notice you think, "well, that's a horrible and inaccurate accent", and then you accept it and judge the film on things that actually matter. to think otherwise seems really bizarre to me.

Return to “Social”