The Movie Thread

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Re: The Movie Thread

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 pm

Well mojo, surely you appreciate the effort when it is attempted and done right. For example, DDL's voice for Bill the Butcher was based on the Edison recordings of Walt Whitman. Whitman would have been about the same age and from the same area as DDL's Butcher character. I think that's pretty badass.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:26 pm

I was just about to make an OMC GoNY costumes joke before flipping the page.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:26 pm

OleMissCub wrote:Well mojo, surely you appreciate the effort when it is attempted and done right. For example, DDL's voice for Bill the Butcher was based on the Edison recordings of Walt Whitman. Whitman would have been about the same age and from the same area as DDL's Butcher character. I think that's pretty badass.

I guess; I mean, I just appreciate how well the character was done. DDL could have made up the voice and tics and affectations out of whole cloth and it would impress me just as much, if not more so. Take his Lincoln; I don't really care if his voice was accurate or not. The performance is relatively well done, but I think Henry Fonda's Young Mr. Lincoln kicks its ass all over the place in terms of being a powerful film performance. DDL's Lincoln ends up feeling too much like an exercise in endurance, like he wanted to nail the accuracy above all else and ends up basically forgetting it's a movie not a historical re-enactment. With GoNY he was using a reference point to help create his own character; with Lincoln he was just trying to be someone else, and to me that's not nearly as interesting.

Compare, say, Jim Carrey playing Andy Kaufman in Man on the Moon to Anthony Hopkins as Nixon in, well, Nixon. I think MotM is a pretty bad film, and in no small part due to how uncomfortable Carey's performance is. He's basically phonetically trying to spell out an entire other person. It's really weird and stilted and awkward, and not in a good way. Hopkins, on the other hand, I think is brilliant as Nixon. He doesn't really look like him and doesn't really sound like him; he basically just slicked backed his hair, hunched his shoulders and made his voice a little raspier. But every time I've seen that film, I completely buy that character. I don't buy him as the "real" Richard Nixon, but he's created an actual character that works amazingly within that film and his accuracy in how the man he's playing is "supposed" to look and sound is almost an afterthought. Carrey isn't a character or Kaufman; he's just there.

Now what this rambling has do with accents I don't know; I guess I'm still just saying that if the film works, it works, and films that tend to get too caught up in things like "are all the accents accurate?!?" and the like tend to not be so great. GoNY is a perfect example; DDL has a great performance, but man, that's one of Scorsese's least impressive films.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:52 pm

Leo and Diaz were woefully miscast.

SSR can make the joke, but the fact that it lost the Oscar for costume design to Chicago...GTFO with that [expletive]. That's the only movie set in that time period that I've seen that actually got the god awful gaudy clothing correct. #whocares

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 pm

Man, Chicago is great.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, Chicago is great.

john c reilly is great in all forms

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:55 pm

treebird wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Man, Chicago is great.

john c reilly is great in all forms

Say...he was a gooney Irish cop in GoNY, too. REILLY IS ALL.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:38 am

I was hoping Anomalisa would be here by now, but since its not, I'm probably going to see Spotlight today

Janelle-Alexis
Role Player

Postby Janelle-Alexis » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:47 am

Derwood wrote:Watching a movie set in France and everyone has British accents is hugely distracting.

I can't even watch Game of Thrones because of this.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:53 am

Janelle-Alexis wrote:
Derwood wrote:Watching a movie set in France and everyone has British accents is hugely distracting.

I can't even watch Game of Thrones because of this.

lol, you need to have legit Westeros accents or it just takes you right out of it?

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:25 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:everybody from chicago does sound like da bears. going away for a long time and coming back really reinforces that fact.

College freshman orientation when I went around in my small group and had to introduce myself is when I learned this.

"Hi I'm Zach, from Chicago" *cue laughter* I guess compared to all the other "generic" Midwest accents I basically was Bill Swerski.
ImageImage

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:55 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:everybody from chicago does sound like da bears. going away for a long time and coming back really reinforces that fact.

College freshman orientation when I went around in my small group and had to introduce myself is when I learned this.

"Hi I'm Zach, from Chicago" *cue laughter* I guess compared to all the other "generic" Midwest accents I basically was Bill Swerski.

I still have PTSD from everybody making me say tire and fire.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:12 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:Having Romans use British accents isn't about "nuance"

Would you prefer they speak latin or english with a modern italian accent?

why are those my only two choices?

I find it hilarious that audiences would be distracted by French characters in France having French accents. "I can't even concentrate on the story! Why can't they just speak British like everyone else?"

I don't think this has ever happened in earth's history. You think movies don't use french accents for french characters?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:26 am

I don't know, I'd be more distracted by them speaking English with a French accent if I'm watching the movie with the understanding they are actually French people speaking French and the only reason it's in English is because I'm an uncultured rube from America who only speaks English. Like, a phony accent doesn't add authenticity for me when they're already changing the source language.
ImageImage

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:28 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:I don't know, I'd be more distracted by them speaking English with a French accent if I'm watching the movie with the understanding they are actually French people speaking French and the only reason it's in English is because I'm an uncultured rube from America who only speaks English. Like, a phony accent doesn't add authenticity for me when they're already changing the source language.

Then why not just let them have American accents instead of crummy British ones?

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:29 am

Derwood wrote:
WrigleyField 22 wrote:I don't know, I'd be more distracted by them speaking English with a French accent if I'm watching the movie with the understanding they are actually French people speaking French and the only reason it's in English is because I'm an uncultured rube from America who only speaks English. Like, a phony accent doesn't add authenticity for me when they're already changing the source language.

Then why not just let them have American accents instead of crummy British ones?

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:30 am

why the F are you still going on about this

you chose to live in columbus you can't complain about the uncultured masses not understanding dialects
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:30 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:why the F are you still going on about this

you chose to live in columbus you can't complain about the uncultured masses not understanding dialects

I'll be sure to consult with the guy from New Jersey next time I have a question about art and culture

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:32 am

DERWOOD.

Start listing movies that meet your exhausting accent standards.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:33 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:DERWOOD.

Start listing movies that meet your exhausting accent standards.

No time. I'm about to see a movie with presumably awesome Boston accents (Spotlight)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:35 am

Maybe I just agree with your earlier point about native speakers being the ones who sound the most natural. Time to start hiring more Frenchies

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:40 am

Derwood wrote:

Whatever most of the actors actually are is fine with me.
ImageImage

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:42 am

We can mark this argument as roughly the 1000th time that you guys are 10x more bothered by me being bothered than I am bothered to start with.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:52 am

Derwood wrote:We can mark this argument as roughly the 1000th time that you guys are 10x more bothered by me being bothered than I am bothered to start with.

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:06 am

OleMissCub wrote:Well mojo, surely you appreciate the effort when it is attempted and done right. For example, DDL's voice for Bill the Butcher was based on the Edison recordings of Walt Whitman. Whitman would have been about the same age and from the same area as DDL's Butcher character. I think that's pretty badass.

Another example is DDL as Lincoln. I went into that movie hoping that he got the hick with a squeaky voice speech attributed to Pres Lincoln. It adds to the story of Lincoln because it captures this hillbilly who sounded like a small town huckster who was often underestimated.

Return to “Social”