The Beer Thread

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:57 pm

Derwood wrote:
ConstableRabbit wrote:Corona is a cheap beer that is sold at a higher import price.

ie Mexican Heineken

That said I still drink it at mexican restaurants

I like Heineken a lot.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:15 pm

Exile on Waveland wrote:
Derwood wrote:
ConstableRabbit wrote:Corona is a cheap beer that is sold at a higher import price.

ie Mexican Heineken

I like Heineken a lot.

I think calling it Europe's Corona is probably one of the most accurate descriptions one could find.

Not to hate on your preferences, to each his own, but IMO, St. Pauli Girl > Heineken.
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:26 pm

earth2sean wrote:
Exile on Waveland wrote:
Derwood wrote:

ie Mexican Heineken

I like Heineken a lot.

I think calling it Europe's Corona is probably one of the most accurate descriptions one could find.

Not to hate on your preferences, to each his own, but IMO, St. Pauli Girl > Heineken.

Agreed, St. Pauli Girl is > than Heineken. I think Europe's Corona may be apt, too. But I still like it.

b_wiggy_66
Starter

Postby b_wiggy_66 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:54 pm

ConstableRabbit wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
ConstableRabbit wrote:Additionally:
Corona is one of the worst beers out there -- esp for the price. You're not cool if you drink it just because there's a lime in it -- that just covers up the cat piss taste. Corona's marketing department is one of the world's best.

I don't drink Corona to try to look cool. I drink it because I enjoy it.

FYI, you aren't cool just because you rag on people who use popular things.

Haha that's not what I was getting at. Corona has positioned itself as a higher end imported Mexican beer. Mexicans don't even drink it and it's overpriced. It's like Bud Select -- a low-carb beer that Budweiser marketed as a premium beverage.

All I'm saying is that there's a huge variety of Mexican beers that are amazing. Corona is a cheap beer that is sold at a higher import price.

Pacifico is a good mexican beer also. My fav is Bud Light though.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:52 pm

I meant that Heineken is a cheap beer that is jacked up in price as an "import". I was just in Holland. You know who drinks Heineken over there? Like pretty much nobody

SeldomSeen
Starter

Postby SeldomSeen » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:10 pm

Derwood wrote:Magic Hat (along with, what, Fat Bastard? Lazy Bastard? whatever) were two of the microbrews I really wanted to try at my last beer expo. Both resulted in me almost instantaneously spitting it all back in the cup. Horrible

Arrogant Bastard???

Also, I love Bell's Amber and Two Hearted Ale.

I'm trying a new one tonight from Clipper City- Red Sky at Night. It's a pretty good ale, although the group I'm with love it much more than I do.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:30 pm

Derwood wrote:I meant that Heineken is a cheap beer that is jacked up in price as an "import". I was just in Holland. You know who drinks Heineken over there? Like pretty much nobody

That's not true at all. For some reason some people believe that the beer they export tastes better than the beer they give to Hollanders. We were drinking Heineken out of the green bottles during the Queen's brithday celeberation and some guy traded us a case of the brown bottle (domestic Heineken) for a six pack of the green bottle ones.

It tasted the same to me.

Anyway, pretty much everyone in Amsterdam was drinking Heineken (from the tap or in bottles) for three days straight during the Queen's birthday.

One of the best times I've had in my entire life. We were going to leave after the first day and the guy who owned place we were staying (a youth hostle, kind of, above a tavern) wanted us to stay so much he let us stay two days for free.

I love the Dutch!

EricG
All-Star

Postby EricG » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:46 pm

anything but Anheiser Busch is fine with me. I like Fat Tire and 1554 made by New Belgium. My favorite Mexican beer is Negra Modelo but Dos Equis lager is many times better than Corona.
Bass, Harp, Guiness, and Smithwick's are all good choices for a piint from the tap. Kilt Lifter is my favorite Arizona beer.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:53 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Derwood wrote:I meant that Heineken is a cheap beer that is jacked up in price as an "import". I was just in Holland. You know who drinks Heineken over there? Like pretty much nobody

That's not true at all. For some reason some people believe that the beer they export tastes better than the beer they give to Hollanders. We were drinking Heineken out of the green bottles during the Queen's brithday celeberation and some guy traded us a case of the brown bottle (domestic Heineken) for a six pack of the green bottle ones.

Anyway, pretty much everyone in Amsterdam was drinking Heineken (from the tap or in bottles) for three days straight during the Queen's birthday.

One of the best times I've had in my entire life. We were going to leave after the first day and the guy who owned place we were staying (a youth hostle, kind of, above a tavern) wanted us to stay so much he let us stay two days for free.

I love the Dutch!

in Holland, the bars are all owned by beer companies, so the kind of beer that's available depends on who owns the bar. In my last two visits, I drank almost exclusively Jupiler, but maybe that was just due to the bars I happened to frequent

E.J.
Hall of Fame

Postby E.J. » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:29 pm

I bought a 6-pack of Brooklyn Summer Ale last night and it's pretty good. Definitely worth a try if you haven't had it yet.

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:45 pm

Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

I love the Dutch!

in Holland, the bars are all owned by beer companies, so the kind of beer that's available depends on who owns the bar. In my last two visits, I drank almost exclusively Jupiler, but maybe that was just due to the bars I happened to frequent

Heineken and Grolsch are both inexpensive compared to the wonderful Belgian selection over here. I might be a beer snob, but I also understand the importance of following my budget. Heineken is looked upon with some amount of disdain over here, but it's no different from American attitudes towards Budweiser and Miller.

Mizzou
Superstar

Postby Mizzou » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:52 pm

Just bought some Blue Moon at the grocery store.

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:53 pm

Outshined_One wrote:
Derwood wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

I love the Dutch!

Heineken and Grolsch are both inexpensive compared to the wonderful Belgian selection over here. I might be a beer snob, but I also understand the importance of following my budget. Heineken is looked upon with some amount of disdain over here, but it's no different from American attitudes towards Budweiser and Miller.

I'm so jealous of you being in "Den Haag". And aren't you there working -- a summer legal job no less? I hate you.

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:54 pm

Mizzou wrote:Just bought some Blue Moon at the grocery store.

I probably should go buy something -- I only have four more hours until that won't be possible this weekend.

Outshined_One
Blam.

Postby Outshined_One » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:03 pm

Exile on Waveland wrote:I'm so jealous of you being in "Den Haag". And aren't you there working -- a summer legal job no less? I hate you.

8-)

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:09 pm

Outshined_One wrote:
Exile on Waveland wrote:I'm so jealous of you being in "Den Haag". And aren't you there working -- a summer legal job no less? I hate you.

8-)

Yeah, that's not helping your cause.

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:59 pm

I am currently drinking Miller High Life. Yes!!!!!

FloridaCubbie
All-Star

Postby FloridaCubbie » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:14 pm

I probably need to broaden my horizons a bit but so far Yuengling is my favorite, especially on tap.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:17 pm

coolhandluke84 wrote:I am currently drinking Miller High Life. Yes!!!!!

So you're drinking your own urine?

CDBears1259
All-Star

Postby CDBears1259 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:08 am

Had a Stella Artois before dinner and forgot how good it is. Also forgot how damn expensive it was for a pint. Definitely worth a try.
-Chris

Geaux Cubs Geaux!!! Bear Down Chicago Bears!!! Geaux Tigers!!!

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Postby C.C. » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:05 am

Cubbies75 wrote:
coolhandluke84 wrote:I am currently drinking Miller High Life. Yes!!!!!

So you're drinking your own urine?

Does it get you drunk?

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:48 am

FloridaCubbie wrote:I probably need to broaden my horizons a bit but so far Yuengling is my favorite, especially on tap.

I love that Yuengling is sold in Florida. I was in Clearwater last year and was thrilled to see it available on tap... which is kind of sad considering that I pretty much live in the heart of Yuengling country.

Exile on Waveland
5-Time All-Star

Postby Exile on Waveland » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:09 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:
FloridaCubbie wrote:I probably need to broaden my horizons a bit but so far Yuengling is my favorite, especially on tap.

I love that Yuengling is sold in Florida. I was in Clearwater last year and was thrilled to see it available on tap... which is kind of sad considering that I pretty much live in the heart of Yuengling country.

I've never had Yuengling, want to try it sometime.

On the other hand, I was thrilled when I found out Shiner Bock was sold in Chicago -- it's not here in Indiana and I'd only had it in Texas. Definitely had a few when I was in Chicago a couple weeks ago.

Yeti
Town Drunk

Postby Yeti » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:53 am

being that you are in the north east, i would recomend trying any and all styles made by the Harpoon brewery and also the Magic Hat brewery, they should be easy to find and are both excellent craft brewers. both will be a little pricey ($6-$9 per 6pk) but excellent for sipping on a beer when you just want to drink a couple, not necessarily get drunk. if its just getting drunk you're interested in, just drink the cheapest swill you can stomach (my personal choice is miller high life, $5.59/ 12 bottles)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:39 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

I too was happy to find it in Tampa

Return to “Social”