The Video Game thread

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Video Game thread

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:04 am

Banedon wrote:So I played all the Assassin's Creed games up through Black Flag, but skipped Rogue and Unity. Thinking about snagging Syndicate. Am I missing anything if I don't play Rogue/Unity first?

I loved Rogue, but it was essentially Black Flag in the North Atlantic or maybe a mix between AC3 and Black Flag. There were a couple of new features and the general story of Assassins and Templars is flipped on its head, but in for the most part its a very similar game.

Unity was a useless piece of crap. I tried to block out any memories of even playing that game, but they keep coming back in my nightmares. Just a boring, buggy game. The only thing going for it in my mind is fantastic graphics, but that doesn't begin to make up for the numerous missteps the game made (completely uninteresting story, buggy game play, stupid integrations with even more boring mobile games or in game purchases to open the best chests get the best items, every damn mission was the same - go into a building kill a bunch of guys rinse and repeat). It was either the greatest or most pathetic achievement of my life that I willed myself to complete the game. I award that game no points and may God have mercy on Ubisoft's souls.

I approached Syndicate with much trepidation and came away pleasently surprised. Much more enjoyable game with a decent story, missions that had a lot of unique elements, no major glitches, etc. I'd recommend.
Dare to dream....

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:12 am

UMFan83 wrote:I approached Syndicate with much trepidation and came away pleasently surprised. Much more enjoyable game with a decent story, missions that had a lot of unique elements, no major glitches, etc. I'd recommend.

I'd heard such awful things about Unity, that it soured me on the franchise, and I assumed that Syndicate was bad too. But seeing it on some Best of 2015 lists is causing me to reconsider.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:22 am

I got Viscera Cleanup Detail during the Steam sale. I never thought a janitor simulator could be so much bloody fun.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Careless
Hall of Fame

Postby Careless » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Steam's winter sale queue brought up "Shower with your dad simulator 2015" for only $.66

There were some amusing reviews.
We are doomed.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:12 pm

Banedon wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I approached Syndicate with much trepidation and came away pleasently surprised. Much more enjoyable game with a decent story, missions that had a lot of unique elements, no major glitches, etc. I'd recommend.

I'd heard such awful things about Unity, that it soured me on the franchise, and I assumed that Syndicate was bad too. But seeing it on some Best of 2015 lists is causing me to reconsider.

I played Unity way after the fact and didn't think it was that bad. Of course, I've come to just accept the AC series as a travel opportunity; I get to see and explore amazingly well done historical locations and kill a bunch of dudes on the side.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:46 pm

bought an xbox one today because what the hell

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I played Unity way after the fact and didn't think it was that bad. Of course, I've come to just accept the AC series as a travel opportunity; I get to see and explore amazingly well done historical locations and kill a bunch of dudes on the side.

yeah i've heard that after they patched it Unity isn't all that bad.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Two major Assassins' Creed rumors

1) The next one will be called AC: Empire, and will be set in Egypt

2) they may be taking 2016 off and release Empire in 2017

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:01 pm

Derwood wrote:Two major Assassins' Creed rumors

1) The next one will be called AC: Empire, and will be set in Egypt

2) they may be taking 2016 off and release Empire in 2017

Both fantastic pieces of news
Dare to dream....

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:34 pm

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:18 pm

Apparently the NDA for xcom 2 dropped today. There's a bunch of videos and new info online, and even a guy streaming it on twitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqLNE8VXDGU

All of those customization options look great. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:13 am

A real life Diamond City (FO4)

Spoiler: show

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:10 am

I've been playing xbox since xbox came out, but never played Gears of War. Bought the GOW bundle and played the Ultimate Edition (remake of 1st one) and it was fantastic, caught me off-guard how good it was. 1080p and 60 fps do wonders. Also received 2+3+Judgement for free as part of that special. I'm now one of the people playing catch up/nostalgia trip and running through the whole series (4/9 BC games on live are Gears). I'm getting towards the end of Gears 2 now and am already looking forward to Gears 4 coming this Fall.

Well played Microsoft.
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:16 pm

If anyone misses playing retro games on their TV, or if they're tired of connecting their laptops or computers to a TV to play their emulators there, I just purchased a Canakit Raspberry Pi and installed the Retropie OS onto it. I've put almost 20GB worth of roms on a flash drive and I got a couple of SNES usb controllers in the mail. It's basically having a tiny portable retro arcade for less than $100.

People have gone crazy with it and used them to create arcade cabinets as well. It's pretty great, and works beautifully.

This is a good video showcasing literally the same exact thing I got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iIK1gV9onY

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:23 pm

god you buy the weirdest/coolest [expletive].
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:37 pm

oh my god i want that

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:31 pm

For anyone interested in doing something similar, Xbox 360 controllers also work great for this, especially if you have something with a little more horsepower than a Raspberry Pi running the games and you can step into N64 or PS1 ROMs.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:For anyone interested in doing something similar, Xbox 360 controllers also work great for this, especially if you have something with a little more horsepower than a Raspberry Pi running the games and you can step into N64 or PS1 ROMs.

What do you need to use to make this happen?

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:33 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:For anyone interested in doing something similar, Xbox 360 controllers also work great for this, especially if you have something with a little more horsepower than a Raspberry Pi running the games and you can step into N64 or PS1 ROMs.

I use my old laptop since it's already plugged in to the TV as a media center, along with software like RetroArch(http://www.libretro.com/), I haven't had luck with PS1 ROMs and have scattered luck with N64 ROMs. I haven't done more than a bit of tinkering though, so it could have been the emulators or ROMs I was using causing problems more than the hardware. I got a wireless 360 controller for Christmas so I'm gonna be tinkering with it some more, I'll let you know if I discover anything else.

17 Seconds
Formerly dextermorgan

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:37 pm

The Logan wrote:If anyone misses playing retro games on their TV, or if they're tired of connecting their laptops or computers to a TV to play their emulators there, I just purchased a Canakit Raspberry Pi and installed the Retropie OS onto it. I've put almost 20GB worth of roms on a flash drive and I got a couple of SNES usb controllers in the mail. It's basically having a tiny portable retro arcade for less than $100.

People have gone crazy with it and used them to create arcade cabinets as well. It's pretty great, and works beautifully.

This is a good video showcasing literally the same exact thing I got.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iIK1gV9onY

my brother made one of these for me for christmas. it's awesome

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Proven Veteran wrote:

I use my old laptop since it's already plugged in to the TV as a media center, along with software like RetroArch(http://www.libretro.com/), I haven't had luck with PS1 ROMs and have scattered luck with N64 ROMs. I haven't done more than a bit of tinkering though, so it could have been the emulators or ROMs I was using causing problems more than the hardware. I got a wireless 360 controller for Christmas so I'm gonna be tinkering with it some more, I'll let you know if I discover anything else.

The heavier systems probably won't work well with a RP, but I can play N64 games on my laptop easily. I also have a USB N64 controller, but it's spotty at best. I can't play Goldeneye because the joystick is ultra sensitive, but it works perfectly on Zelda. Haven't tried with PSX games yet. Tried with PS2, but having to find the BIOS and then tinkering with the graphics settings is a real pain the ass, combined with the fact that the game files are huge. Wasn't worth it. But I've found that the N64 ROMs I had all worked quite well on Project64, more or less.

My Wireless XBox 360 works on the RP, but the d-pad is really obnoxious to use on the old console games, which is why I got the retro gamepads. It can be a fickle bitch though. I've had to do a lot of configuring to get all this stuff to work. Before the SNES controllers came in I was using the N64 and XBox controller. Then the SNES ones seemed to work, but the system wouldn't remember their configurations. So I had to reformat the SD card all together and restart with those controllers as the main ones plugged in, works fine now. But now I'm having issues with saving games because it's meant to save ot the folder the roms are in on the SD card, but I'm having it read off of USB (which was a pain to get it to do in the first place), so instead of having to deal with USB sticks and reconfigurations/programing language, I just got a 32GB microSD and I'm gonna put all my stuff on there and not bother with it.

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:god you buy the weirdest/coolest [expletive].

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:54 am

I went a slightly different direction with it and got a Steam Link and Steam Controller. It was about $120 after shipping.

Now I can play games like Civilization on a 52" tv while chilling on my couch. Using the right touchpad as a mouse took a bit of getting used to, but I figured it out pretty quickly.

Theoretically speaking, I should be able to add the emulators on my computer to Steam, which should allow me to stream those games as well. And my beefy gaming rig should have no trouble emulating PSX or N64, unlike a Raspberry Pi.

The only issue insofar as that goes is that the UI once you get into the emulators themselves wont be as nice as Retropie. And you may need to switch between two control schemes -- one for the games, and one for the emulator UI. But the Steam Controller does make that pretty easy. You can save presets and swap them on the fly.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:23 pm

I considered the SteamLink for PC game streaming since I play most of my stuff off of there, but I also have games that aren't. Because of that I've been considering the NVidia Shield, but it's awfully pricey. Maybe when I get my next Scrooge McDuck check I'll splurge on it.

Rob
Superstar

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:42 pm

The Logan wrote:I considered the SteamLink for PC game streaming since I play most of my stuff off of there, but I also have games that aren't. Because of that I've been considering the NVidia Shield, but it's awfully pricey. Maybe when I get my next Scrooge McDuck check I'll splurge on it.

You can add games from Origin, or GOG, or Battle.net or whatever to your Steam Library.

Return to “Social”