Kyle in disguise

Re: Potpourri Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:54 am

5.0 you uncouth barbarians

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:54 pm

I've never used Uber, but based on your ratings, I can only assume a 100 point scale

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:00 pm

here's the real uber question, do you guys sit in the front or back seat?

when me and a couple friends were traveling this summer, I would always sit in the front (all three of us weren't fitting in the back, and im the tallest.) It felt weird and presumptuous, because i always sit in the back if it's just me, or if there's just two of us.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:09 pm

I had someone sit in the front seat when it was two of us (plus the driver) and I felt super awkward for both of us.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I've never used Uber basically just because of the whole rating aspect. It gives me anxiety.

you are such a weird [expletive] dude

It's all I would be thinking about the whole time and I'd end up trying to make too much pleasant conversation and tipping way too much to try and ensure I got a good rating. I DON'T WANT TO BE JUDGED POORLY.

Plus I never had an issue just grabbing a cab in Chicago, so I kinda just never bothered trying the new thing. But that rating aspect would be nervewracking.

Yeah, that's not weird at all...

UberX is cheaper, and on demand, it's [expletive] amazing.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:41 pm

Never tipped. My rating is 4.8 but that's because I've ordered a couple of ubers for my wife and she cursed out one for not knowing where to go and the other she saw an open cab right after I requested it so took it and didn't tell me and I didn't find out until the uber guy called me angrily.
Dare to dream....

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:58 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I've never used Uber basically just because of the whole rating aspect. It gives me anxiety.

you are such a weird [expletive] dude

It's all I would be thinking about the whole time and I'd end up trying to make too much pleasant conversation and tipping way too much to try and ensure I got a good rating. I DON'T WANT TO BE JUDGED POORLY.

Plus I never had an issue just grabbing a cab in Chicago, so I kinda just never bothered trying the new thing. But that rating aspect would be nervewracking.

Yeah, that's not weird at all...

UberX is cheaper, and on demand, it's [expletive] amazing.

Well, I haven't to take cab or car service on my dime since I left Chicago, so who's the 1%er now, you plebeian scum?

But the rating thing creeps me out. I'd kinda surprised you're cool with the servant class having such a voice.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:15 pm

servant class? i once caught an uber from sfo to downtown san francisco in a mercedes s-class driven by a lawyer who was on his way to oakland. it was amazing
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:19 pm

I've been in Uber ordered by others but never used it. I don't give a [expletive] about the rating but I own a car and so, why wouldn't I rather drive myself so I don't have to talk to other people?

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:23 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:here's the real uber question, do you guys sit in the front or back seat?

this actually depends. it's a gut decision based on the car, usually. for example, if it's a prius then that's a taxi to me and i'm getting in the back. if it's clearly some regular person driving their regular car that isn't just for ubering, then that feels more of like a hitching a ride situation and thus front seat. though, i will always ask their preference if i'm considering the front
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:28 pm

yanrslatr wrote:I've been in Uber ordered by others but never used it. I don't give a [expletive] about the rating but I own a car and so, why wouldn't I rather drive myself so I don't have to talk to other people?

you don't have to talk to anyone in the uber and also driving in an urban environment is soul-crushing

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:12 pm

yanrslatr wrote:I've been in Uber ordered by others but never used it. I don't give a [expletive] about the rating but I own a car and so, why wouldn't I rather drive myself so I don't have to talk to other people?

So you can drink without being a cardinal
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:50 pm

So you can get hammered.
ImageImage

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:06 pm

I've been making as many as 3 round trips downtown per day the last few weeks ((taking my daughter to performances) and I've started to consider being an Uber driver just to make the trips lucrative

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:53 pm

What cities have you guys had best experiences in? It's weird, but Dallas was by far the best for me. I probably took 10-15 rides
And they were all great. Chicago and St. Louis were both comparatively awful
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:What cities have you guys had best experiences in? It's weird, but Dallas was by far the best for me. I probably took 10-15 rides
And they were all great. Chicago and St. Louis were both comparatively awful

i mostly know uber from using it in chicago and i always thought it was fine but not amazing. then i used it when i was out in dc last summer and was blown away by how much better it was.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:39 pm

I've used it in Chicago, Baltimore, and NYC. The one guy in Baltimore had trouble finding us the one time. I've had two horrid drivers in Chicago, but it also makes up like 95% of my rides.
ImageImage

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:44 pm

So clearly I know nothing about Uber; do you negotiate the rate or the total or something? In Chicago I was content to just fall into a taxi because they were everywhere and rarely would it cost me more than $15 at the most to get home, tip included. How would the Uber be different?

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So clearly I know nothing about Uber; do you negotiate the rate or the total or something? In Chicago I was content to just fall into a taxi because they were everywhere and rarely would it cost me more than $15 at the most to get home, tip included. How would the Uber be different?

No negotiated rate. The pricing tends to be cheaper (particularly UberX). The advantage of Uber to me is that you get in and out without having to take out a wallet or worry about tip, etc. everything is done electronically and you get an email with your receipt automatically.

Plus its nice to pull up the Uber app when you are 5 mins from leaving, order your ride, see how close they are from the app, and then walk outside and get into the car.
Dare to dream....

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:58 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:So clearly I know nothing about Uber; do you negotiate the rate or the total or something? In Chicago I was content to just fall into a taxi because they were everywhere and rarely would it cost me more than $15 at the most to get home, tip included. How would the Uber be different?

No negotiated rate. The pricing tends to be cheaper (particularly UberX). The advantage of Uber to me is that you get in and out without having to take out a wallet or worry about tip, etc. everything is done electronically and you get an email with your receipt automatically.

Plus its nice to pull up the Uber app when you are 5 mins from leaving, order your ride, see how close they are from the app, and then walk outside and get into the car.

Downside is that every Uber driver is potentially a serial killer

/SammySofa

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:02 pm

It's not a negotiated rate, but the rate goes up during busy times. So if you're trying to catch a cab out of Wrigleyville or Wicker park at 2am, you're gonna pay 3.5x charge or something.
ImageImage

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:08 pm

busy in and of itself isn't what causes surge pricing. lots of requests and not a lot of cars is what causes surge pricing. the higher fares get more drivers out on the road

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:39 pm

for real downside: my wife was parked outside the theatre where my daughter was performing, waiting to pick her up, when a random dude on his phone opened the door and got into the car, thinking she was his Uber driver. Scared the [expletive] out of her

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:37 pm

Steve Harvey gives awards to whoever the [expletive] he wants

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:45 pm

yanrslatr wrote:Steve Harvey gives awards to whoever the [expletive] he wants

I loved how once it was done, he bolted off the stage.

Return to “Social”