The Politics Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

The Politics Thread

Postby Derwood » Mon May 04, 2009 9:18 am

Didn't feel like bumping the 100 Days thread so...

More Michelle Bachmann awesomeness:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-rod ... 94960.html

Apparently the Constitution and Bill of Rights were signed on the same day and George Washington said a prayer at his inauguration which proves that we're a Christian nation (even though he didn't).
Last edited by Derwood on Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kujay
Superstar

Re: General Politics Thread

Postby kujay » Mon May 04, 2009 9:23 am

Derwood wrote:Didn't feel like bumping the 100 Days thread so...

Apparently the Constitution and Bill of Rights were signed on the same day and George Washington said a prayer at his inauguration which proves that we're a Christian nation (even though he didn't).

She must operate on the "any press is good press" theory. And in her district, perhaps it is.
Just an average guy with exceptional hair. No more, no less.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon May 04, 2009 4:52 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090504/ap_ ... bama_taxes

Obama's plan to close offshore tax loopholes. No shocker that Congress is luke warm on this, as most of them probably have money stashed in the Bahamas

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Mon May 04, 2009 5:57 pm

this woman is an imbecile... how does she keep winning?

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Mon May 04, 2009 6:14 pm

I think like many bi partisan debates the argument that we were created a Christian nation or not is stupid. Truth is there were many motivations for why we became an independent nation. There are also many sources of beliefs that helped form our gov't system. The founding fathers were from a wide variety of religious beliefs. To say that we were formed from Christian ideals and morals is ignorant. It is equally as ignorant to say that none of the founding fathers were motivated by Christian ideals. The truth is that somewhere in the middle of the debate is probably the truth.

What really bothers me is that some evangelical Christians make political fodder of this stuff. Looking for government solutions to spiritual issues, not really Biblical.
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:51 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

Just think about how interesting it would be to visit that part of Minnesota ...

manbearcub
All-Star

Postby manbearcub » Mon May 04, 2009 7:56 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:

cause she has an (I) next to her name
GFY PITCH TRAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Mon May 04, 2009 11:17 pm

Damn, she reallllly sucks.

fun fact: Washington spontaneously added the "so help me, God" at the end of his first oath of office and it stuck ever since.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Tue May 05, 2009 7:30 am

stuy119 wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:

Just think about how interesting it would be to visit that part of Minnesota ...

she's from st. cloud and the northern surburbs of minneapolis-st paul... it's not like these are a bunch of backwoods hicks in her district.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue May 05, 2009 8:19 am

Bachmann's at the point now where I'm pretty sure she's levelling us.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 05, 2009 8:28 am

Yesterday I read that Burlusconi's wife was pissed at him for hanging out at a 18 year olds birthday party, and I was thinking, for a gorgeous model she sure is overly jealous. Then I read that she was 52 and I was schocked. It took a while before I realized I was confusing the first couple's of Italy and France.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue May 05, 2009 8:30 am

KyleJRM wrote:Bachmann's at the point now where I'm pretty sure she's levelling us.

I don't know what your sentence means?

Anyway, she says this stuff b/c every time she does more money comes in. She's pandering to a very scary, extremely agitated, group of people. People like her keep whipping up the gun nuts and skin head types and then are indignant when they go off.

Who will be the next Tim McVeigh?

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue May 05, 2009 8:32 am

CubinNY wrote:
KyleJRM wrote:Bachmann's at the point now where I'm pretty sure she's levelling us.

Anyway, she says this stuff b/c every time she does more money comes in. She's pandering to a very scare, extremely agitated, group of people. People like her keep whipping up the gun nuts and skin head types and then are indignant when they go off.

"Levelling" means she's not serious, she's just trying to see what she can get away with saying, like a big joke. There's no way someone can seriously believe the things she says.

kujay
Superstar

Postby kujay » Tue May 05, 2009 8:33 am

CubinNY wrote:

Anyway, she says this stuff b/c every time she does more money comes in. She's pandering to a very scary, extremely agitated, group of people. People like her keep whipping up the gun nuts and skin head types and then are indignant when they go off.

Sadly, that is today's Republican Party. Racist, homophobic crazies and religious crazies.

As a former member who was very involved, it sickens me.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue May 05, 2009 8:39 am

The more things CHANGE, the more they stay the same: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/05/bankruptcy-atto.html
Apparently the administration is accused of using scare tactics to accept the Chrysler bankruptcy plan, which by the way looks like it's against the law. Secured creditors in the plan have every right to contest it. With all the talk on this board over the previous administration possibly violating a forum of law that doesn't really exist, I haven't seen much about this.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue May 05, 2009 8:42 am

KingCubsFan wrote:The more things CHANGE, the more they stay the same: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/05/bankruptcy-atto.html
Apparently the administration is accused of using scare tactics to accept the Chrysler bankruptcy plan, which by the way looks like it's against the law. Secured creditors in the plan have every right to contest it. With all the talk on this board over the previous administration possibly violating a forum of law that doesn't really exist, I haven't seen much about this.

So some people who stand to lose money over the bankruptcy are claiming it's illegal, and we're supposed to take that at face value?

And the administration threatened to use the "White House press corps" to ruin this guy's firm? Despite the hysterical delusions of the Bachmann Militia, the White House does not control the press that covers it.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue May 05, 2009 8:47 am

KingCubsFan wrote:The more things CHANGE, the more they stay the same: http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/05/bankruptcy-atto.html

The White House denies this.

The Bush Admin didn't deny waterboarding...they just challenged it's definition as torture. Surely you can see the difference.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue May 05, 2009 8:51 am

Banedon wrote:

The Bush Admin didn't deny waterboarding...they just challenged it's definition as torture. Surely you can see the difference.

I was referring to the unsecured creditors (read: the UAW) taking a smaller haircut than the secured creditors in the bankruptcy

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue May 05, 2009 9:40 am

KingCubsFan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I was referring to the unsecured creditors (read: the UAW) taking a smaller haircut than the secured creditors in the bankruptcy

Many of those people want to let Chrysler go b/c they've shorted themselves on the stock. Obama doesn't think it's kosher and I don't think that most of the American public if they were able to understand what is going on.

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Tue May 05, 2009 9:46 am

CubinNY wrote:
KingCubsFan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Many of those people want to let Chrysler go b/c they've shorted themselves on the stock. Obama doesn't think it's kosher and I don't think that most of the American public if they were able to understand what is going on.

They would also stand to make billions more in a regular court-ordered reorganization. I think it's irresponsible for the administration to create a backlash by blaming "hedge fund's greed" and other things the public views as evil as the basis for this. Most hedge fund investors are pension plans and university endowments to begin with.
Edit: I'm not saying they would make more compared to shorting the stock (I have no idea if that's true). I was comparing the government plan and a court plan.

CDBears1259
All-Star

Postby CDBears1259 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:10 am

kujay wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

Sadly, that is today's Republican Party. Racist, homophobic crazies and religious crazies.

That's just absurd. Way to paint a whole group of people with a broad brush. I'm a conservative Ind. who identifies a bit more with Rep. and I'm not a racist homophobe religious zealot. I guess the Democratic party is nothing but a bunch of left wing, gay love, tree hugging, Kumbaya singing, pot smoking hippies? Amirite?

This canard that the Dem. party is so accepting and inclusive is what is truly sickening.

Another example of the left's acceptance and tolerance of people with differing viewpoints-
http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2009/05/hateful-leftist-gloria-feldt-laura.html

Very inclusive indeed.
-Chris

Geaux Cubs Geaux!!! Bear Down Chicago Bears!!! Geaux Tigers!!!

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue May 05, 2009 10:12 am

CDBears1259 wrote:I'm a conservative Ind. who identifies a bit more with Rep. and I'm not a racist homophobe religious zealot.

If you are trying to defend the small sliver that is left of the Republican Party, but even you aren't willing to put yourself in that group, doesn't that tell you something?

The moderates have fled the Republican Party and most of what is left is the crazies. If the Democratic Party lost it's sanest 60%, all that would be left would be the crazies too. But that hasn't happened to them.

kujay
Superstar

Postby kujay » Tue May 05, 2009 10:26 am

CDBears1259 wrote:
kujay wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

That's just absurd. Way to paint a whole group of people with a broad brush. I'm a conservative Ind. who identifies a bit more with Rep. and I'm not a racist homophobe religious zealot. I guess the Democratic party is nothing but a bunch of left wing, gay love, tree hugging, Kumbaya singing, pot smoking hippies? Amirite?

This canard that the Dem. party is so accepting and inclusive is what is truly sickening.

Another example of the left's acceptance and tolerance of people with differing viewpoints-
http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2009/05/hateful-leftist-gloria-feldt-laura.html

Very inclusive indeed.

I am also now a conservative independent who leans Republican. But the party itself, and it's most vocal leaders and supporters, are the crazies. They are pretty much embarassing themselves at every turn.

The Republican Party left me behind, not the other way around. They cast their lot with the religious zealots, and they always had the backwoods racist types.

Listen to conservative talk radio these days. I still do sometimes. It's outright lunacy, some of the things you will hear. Ridiculous paranoia, unabashed race-baiting. I heard a bit of Beck yesterday and he had a guy on who was insisting, to Beck's willing ear, that Tampa school districts were refusing to even look at him as a teaching candidate because he wasn't a minority. As he spoke more, it became clear that wasn't the case at all. He just took an entrance test that indicated he might not have the best personality type to work in an inner-city school. The bitterness and reverse-racism cries were obvious.

The fact that we have a black President is driving all of this. They just can't stand it.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:26 am

KyleJRM wrote:
CDBears1259 wrote:I'm a conservative Ind. who identifies a bit more with Rep. and I'm not a racist homophobe religious zealot.

If you are trying to defend the small sliver that is left of the Republican Party, but even you aren't willing to put yourself in that group, doesn't that tell you something?

The moderates have fled the Republican Party and most of what is left is the crazies. If the Democratic Party lost it's sanest 60%, all that would be left would be the crazies too. But that hasn't happened to them.

Agreed. Those of us who considered ourselves Republicans are now something else that more resembles our beliefs. And it's a very small group of us that is fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

CDBears1259
All-Star

Postby CDBears1259 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:27 am

KyleJRM wrote:

No. It tells me nothing as I never was a Rep. I registered as a Dem. when I was 18 and later decided that I definitely did not identify with most of their platform and registered as an Ind. Moderates may have fled the Rep. party, but do you think people would normally vote for the kind of political games we are seeing right out of the box? And what do you think those tea parties were about? Oh yes, it was nothing but a bunch of racist rednecks who can't stand that black man is in the WH. Just ask Janeane Garofalo. If you believe that, I've got a great deal on ocean front property in Nebraska.

I'm not wild about some of Rep. party platform, but I'd have no problem registering as I Rep. if they'd stick to their core values.
-Chris

Geaux Cubs Geaux!!! Bear Down Chicago Bears!!! Geaux Tigers!!!

Return to “Social”