The Politics Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Derwood » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:32 pm

ie "we should be able to spy on any Muslim we want for any reason without a warrant"

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:42 pm

Derwood wrote:ie "we should be able to spy on any Muslim we want for any reason without a warrant"

any person

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:00 pm

treebird wrote:
Derwood wrote:ie "we should be able to spy on any Muslim we want for any reason without a warrant"

any person

but mostly brown ones

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:24 pm

Diaper Dave Vitter lost in his attempt to be LA governor. Good riddance.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:46 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... irmingham/

Mercutio Southall Jr. — a well-known local activist who has been repeatedly arrested while fighting what he says is unfair treatment of blacks — interrupted Trump’s rally and could be heard shouting, “Black lives matter!” A fight broke out, prompting Trump to briefly halt his remarks and demand the removal of Southall.

“Get him the hell out of here, will you, please?” Trump said on Saturday morning. “Get him out of here. Throw him out!”

At one point, Southall fell to the ground and was surrounded by several white men who appeared to be kicking and punching him, according to video captured by CNN. A Washington Post reporter in the crowd watched as one of the men put his hands on Southall’s neck and heard a female onlooker repeatedly shout: “Don’t choke him!”

As security officers got Southall on his feet and led him out of the building, he was repeatedly pushed and shoved by people in the crowd. The crowd alternated between booing and cheering. There were chants of “All lives matter!”

[Conservative suspicions of refugees grow in wake of Paris attacks]

“Maybe he should have been roughed up, because it was absolutely disgusting what he was doing,” Trump said on the Fox News Channel on Sunday morning. “I have a lot of fans, and they were not happy about it. And this was a very obnoxious guy who was a trouble-maker who was looking to make trouble.”

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:49 pm

also, trump is now just tweeting openly racist (not to mention blatantly inaccurate) memes.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:15 pm

TruffleShuffle wrote:also, trump is now just tweeting openly racist (not to mention blatantly inaccurate) memes.

i can't even imagine what the us would look like today if 81% of whites who were murdered were murdered by blacks. we'd have full-on lynch mobs every day.

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:19 pm

I wonder if trump is just like a lot of my Facebook friends. Sees a meme that supports his views, posts it thinking it's factual because it says something he believes, gets a bunch of approval from other dolts, doesn't listen when someone questions the facts in the meme
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 pm

lol "crime statistics bureau."

snoodmonger
Superstar

Postby snoodmonger » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:41 am

treebird wrote:
TruffleShuffle wrote:also, trump is now just tweeting openly racist (not to mention blatantly inaccurate) memes.

i can't even imagine what the us would look like today if 81% of whites who were murdered were murdered by blacks. we'd have full-on lynch mobs every day.

This site clarified the actual statistics and tracked down the earliest tweet where that image appeared. Surprise: it was a Hitler sympathizer.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/45291_We_Found_Where_Donald_Trumps_Black_Crimes_Graphic_Came_From

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:00 am

snoodmonger wrote:
treebird wrote:

This site clarified the actual statistics and tracked down the earliest tweet where that image appeared. Surprise: it was a Hitler sympathizer.

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/article/45291_We_Found_Where_Donald_Trumps_Black_Crimes_Graphic_Came_From

yeah but still i'm sure some liberal rando linked to a slightly incorrect picture created by someone who supports black lives matter which is exactly the same as the gop frontrunner linking neo-nazi propaganda so please remember that both parties are equally bad

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:59 am

I knew the GOP has gone off the rails, but even I couldn't have predicted that they'd have a poll-leading demagogue tweeting openly racist garbage produced by Neo-Nazis.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:23 am

Jesus. Curt Schilling should just run for freaking president at this point. Too racy for ESPN color commentating, but would be great as GOP presidential nominee.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:26 am

Banedon wrote:Jesus. Curt Schilling should just run for freaking president at this point. Too racy for ESPN color commentating, but would be great as GOP presidential nominee.

A dirty northeast liberal like him? I don't think so.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:56 am

Lost in all of this is how well recently Rubio has been polling against Clinton. Trump's numbers flex up and down inside his bubble of supporters, but he definitely seems to have already hit his ceiling; his "climbing" or "surging" numbers now are still within the window of where he already peaked back in September. Rubio, meanwhile, keeps rising, and seems to be showing signs that he could legitimately compete against Clinton in recent limited polling (Trump, meanwhile, gets smacked around handily by her).

So, in short, all of the people hemming and hawing with ridiculous Facebook posts and online comments about how evil Trump is and how "this is what it was like in Germany before HITLER was elected!!!" might want to pay attention to the guy who the Republican Party would ACTUALLY back; he has a much better chance of winning, and he's looking more and more like the actual frontrunner for them.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:18 am

Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

DiceMan4221
Starter

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:23 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

This would be reassuring, if it weren't for the equally large demo that is supporting Carson at the same time.
And who, according to Showalter, best exemplifies high-buttedness? Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee. "I don’t want to say he’s got a perfect butt, but when I look at it I say, Wow."

UK
Superstar

Postby UK » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:25 am

Rubio and Kasich have legit chances of winning if they secured the nomination. Kasich has done a poor job of campaigning while Rubio has done the best job of being rational. I just don't know if Rubio can beat the Trump/Carson vacuum.

Carson is fading fast, just depends where his votes go. I imagine once the establishment candidates fall off, they would likely go to Rubio/Cruz (more so Rubio)

The GOP is [expletive] up enough to where Trump right now has a legit shot of being the nominee. This isn't July and primary voting is right around the corner with little to fluctuate votes between now and then.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:34 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

This would be reassuring, if it weren't for the equally large demo that is supporting Carson at the same time.

Why? Carson's base is made up of much more traditional Republican voters who are already pushing away from him and towards Rubio and Cruz; Trump's base is mostly made up of a vocal fringe who would either not vote at all if he wasn't there, or fall to someone like Paul (depending on how long he sticks around) or Cruz. Cruz will likely get the biggest bump when Trump leaves, but it's not like all of his supporters just port over to one candidate.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:37 pm

UK wrote:The GOP is [expletive] up enough to where Trump right now has a legit shot of being the nominee. This isn't July and primary voting is right around the corner with little to fluctuate votes between now and then.

Who cares that it's not July? He has no backing from the party itself; it's just not going to happen. If he somehow miraculously pushes past and sustains his previous polling peaks, fine, but he's largely been in a slightly fluctuating holding pattern for a while now. Rubio makes WAY too much sense for the party to not back at this point; he's been steadily trending upwards for a long time, he's a safe pick, he brings in voters outside of their usual demographic and he's polling well against Clinton. He's much more dangerous than Trump if you're actually worried about the Republicans sneaking out a win for the White House.

Trump is the cartoon villain that people love to clutch their pearls over, but he's kind of doing the Republicans a favor at this point; someone like Rubio can come out and be appealingly "moderate" while still falling way to the Right by simply not being as insanely moronic as Trump.

DiceMan4221
Starter

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:This would be reassuring, if it weren't for the equally large demo that is supporting Carson at the same time.

Why? Carson's base is made up of much more traditional Republican voters who are already pushing away from him and towards Rubio and Cruz; Trump's base is mostly made up of a vocal fringe who would either not vote at all if he wasn't there, or fall to someone like Paul (depending on how long he sticks around) or Cruz. Cruz will likely get the biggest bump when Trump leaves, but it's not like all of his supporters just port over to one candidate.

I suppose I don't distinguish between the levels of crazy that are required to support either of those two. I mean, did you see that video blurb of Carson comparing Syrian refugees to rabid dogs that need to be "taken away?" Carson supporters might be a part of the Republican base, but I wouldn't call them "traditional Republicans." This is a new breed.
And who, according to Showalter, best exemplifies high-buttedness? Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee. "I don’t want to say he’s got a perfect butt, but when I look at it I say, Wow."

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
UK wrote:The GOP is [expletive] up enough to where Trump right now has a legit shot of being the nominee. This isn't July and primary voting is right around the corner with little to fluctuate votes between now and then.

Who cares that it's not July? He has no backing from the party itself; it's just not going to happen. If he somehow miraculously pushes past and sustains his previous polling peaks, fine, but he's largely been in a slightly fluctuating holding pattern for a while now. Rubio makes WAY too much sense for the party to not back at this point; he's been steadily trending upwards for a long time, he's a safe pick, he brings in voters outside of their usual demographic and he's polling well against Clinton. He's much more dangerous than Trump if you're actually worried about the Republicans sneaking out a win for the White House.

Trump is the cartoon villain that people love to clutch their pearls over, but he's kind of doing the Republicans a favor at this point; someone like Rubio can come out and be appealingly "moderate" while still falling way to the Right by simply not being as insanely moronic as Trump.

I'm not at all worried about him winning. I'm far more discouraged how many people in this country agree with his asinine ideas

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:09 pm

Trump is in town for a campaign stop and its effing up traffic right where I need to drop off my daughter.

Screw this guy

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

That is exactly right. There is not much in the way of policy differences between Rubio and Clinton.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:56 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:This would be reassuring, if it weren't for the equally large demo that is supporting Carson at the same time.

I suppose I don't distinguish between the levels of crazy that are required to support either of those two. I mean, did you see that video blurb of Carson comparing Syrian refugees to rabid dogs that need to be "taken away?" Carson supporters might be a part of the Republican base, but I wouldn't call them "traditional Republicans." This is a new breed.

Why do you think that? He's been mainly drawing from the religious base.

Return to “Social”