The Politics Thread

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: The Politics Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:14 pm

Lenny wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I mean, you just straight up mentioned a billionaire and "the elites" like they're two separate things. That's battered voter's syndrome at its saddest.

Right, so where do we go from here?

Beats me. We've mostly been run by rich people since day one. I can count the number of presidents that actually grew up poor or working class on two hands. Barring some kind of internal conflict that splinters the country that likely isn't going to change; countries of this size and scope are traditionally run by "elites," for better or for worse. That doesn't mean they can't still serve those less fortunate than them, but approaching the process with this idea that "elite" automatically equals bad is a childishly simplistic notion set up with the intention of always ending up being able to be disappointed. It's just a variation on ye olde "both parties are the same"/"I don't vote because it doesn't really matter"/etc.,etc.. It's an excuse to be apathetic.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:41 am

I think the word "elite" is the wrong word. Trump represents "non-establishment", which is why he's very popular among the blue collar set. The GOP calling card of cutting taxes for the wealthy while cutting safety nets for the poor is no longer popular with many conservative voters, so they're gravitating to Trump. It's why Walker disappeared quickly and why Bush can't gain any traction. Voters are tired of what the old school, big tent Republicans stand for.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:36 am

Derwood wrote:I think the word "elite" is the wrong word. Trump represents "non-establishment", which is why he's very popular among the blue collar set. The GOP calling card of cutting taxes for the wealthy while cutting safety nets for the poor is no longer popular with many conservative voters, so they're gravitating to Trump. It's why Walker disappeared quickly and why Bush can't gain any traction. Voters are tired of what the old school, big tent Republicans stand for.

That's not why people are gravitating toward Trump.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

TruffleShuffle
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby TruffleShuffle » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:04 am

flint, michigan, which has been supplied with toxic water for a year and a half thanks to cost-saving measures dictated by the state government (read: governor's office), has experienced an outbreak of legionnaire's disease which has killed 10 people and afflicted at least 70 more. meanwhile, rick snyder is doing such a bang-up job that he was re-elected governor until 2018!

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... is/424062/

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:09 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:flint, michigan, which has been supplied with toxic water for a year and a half thanks to cost-saving measures dictated by the state government (read: governor's office), has experienced an outbreak of legionnaire's disease which has killed 10 people and afflicted at least 70 more. meanwhile, rick snyder is doing such a bang-up job that he was re-elected governor until 2018!

This story is incredible, and is really flying under the radar.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:19 am

TruffleShuffle wrote:flint, michigan, which has been supplied with toxic water for a year and a half thanks to cost-saving measures dictated by the state government (read: governor's office), has experienced an outbreak of legionnaire's disease which has killed 10 people and afflicted at least 70 more. meanwhile, rick snyder is doing such a bang-up job that he was re-elected governor until 2018!

It's a crazy, terrible story, but I am not sure what the governor being reelected back in 2014 has to do with it.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:33 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:

It's a crazy, terrible story, but I am not sure what the governor being reelected back in 2014 has to do with it.

He's on Australian years.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:35 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Derwood wrote:I think the word "elite" is the wrong word. Trump represents "non-establishment", which is why he's very popular among the blue collar set. The GOP calling card of cutting taxes for the wealthy while cutting safety nets for the poor is no longer popular with many conservative voters, so they're gravitating to Trump. It's why Walker disappeared quickly and why Bush can't gain any traction. Voters are tired of what the old school, big tent Republicans stand for.

It's part of the reason. There are lot of republican voters who don't feel like the establishment candidates represent them anymore.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:44 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

It's part of the reason. There are lot of republican voters who don't feel like the establishment candidates represent them anymore.

It's because they are MORE conservative and want MORE cuts to "entitlements" that brown skin people don't deserve. The Republican "establishment" is actually more sane than the person who says they are going to vote for trump. I mean when David Brooks, Niki Haley, Jeb Bush, and Paul Ryan sound like caring people compared to these dudes we have a problem.

Also, this may belong in the gun nut thread, but I love that people are sending those jackasses fake dicks and edible underware.

abuck1220
Hall of Fame

Postby abuck1220 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:46 am

Derwood wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

it sure as [expletive] isn't because they don't like cutting safety nets for the poor.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:06 pm

The [expletive]?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/01/d ... 31341.html

Denmark's parliament began debating on Wednesday a controversial plan to seize refugees' valuables, with the bill widely expected to be passed on January 26 vote after being backed by a majority of lawmakers.

The bill has been criticised by UN refugee agency UNHCR, which fears it will "fuel fear" and "xenophobia".

The proposal would allow Danish authorities to seize asylum seekers' cash exceeding 10,000 kroner ($1,450), as well as any individual items valued at more than 10,000 kroner.

Right Wing Europe is scary.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:The [expletive]?

Denmark's parliament began debating on Wednesday a controversial plan to seize refugees' valuables, with the bill widely expected to be passed on January 26 vote after being backed by a majority of lawmakers.

The bill has been criticised by UN refugee agency UNHCR, which fears it will "fuel fear" and "xenophobia".

The proposal would allow Danish authorities to seize asylum seekers' cash exceeding 10,000 kroner ($1,450), as well as any individual items valued at more than 10,000 kroner.

Damn, Denmark was high up on my "cool places to live" list, in case the US ever got really bonkers.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:50 pm

Banedon wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:The [expletive]?

Damn, Denmark was high up on my "cool places to live" list, in case the US ever got really bonkers.

You were thinking of Sweden.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:54 pm

CubinNY wrote:You were thinking of Sweden.

No, but sometimes I do legitimately get Sweden and Finland switched in my brain for some reason.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:55 pm

Banedon wrote:
CubinNY wrote:You were thinking of Sweden.

No, but sometimes I do legitimately get Sweden and Finland switched in my brain for some reason.

That's funny, because Putin keeps getting Finland confused with a Russian province.
Spoiler: show

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:45 pm

This could fit in the Tech Thread too but...

Today, US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx is announcing a nearly $4 billion plan that’ll help manufacturers and tech companies develop safe, automated vehicles in the next ten years with real-world pilot projects.

http://gizmodo.com/hell-yes-obama-wants ... 1752965805

Yes please. Self driving cars ASAP.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:58 pm

Banedon wrote:This could fit in the Tech Thread too but...

Today, US Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx is announcing a nearly $4 billion plan that’ll help manufacturers and tech companies develop safe, automated vehicles in the next ten years with real-world pilot projects.

http://gizmodo.com/hell-yes-obama-wants ... 1752965805

Yes please. Self driving cars ASAP.

Audi made one that beat a F1 driver around the track with 4 Audi executives as passengers.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:53 pm

NOLA
formerly northsider2004

Postby NOLA » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:37 pm

Banedon wrote:https://youtu.be/vPRfP_TEQ-g

The only thing that would have made that more perfect is if they'd chased a brown skin man in a sombrero off the stage.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:22 pm

Obama on Tuesday: "Republicans rule by fear and anger"

Tonight's GOP debate: Every answer is about fear and anger

:banghead:

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:28 pm

For [expletive]'s sake; it's on Fox Business so it's incredibly easy to avoid.

Go for a walk or take a dump or do something else instead.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:31 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:For [expletive]'s sake; it's on Fox Business so it's incredibly easy to avoid.

Go for a walk or take a dump or do something else instead.

I'm hate watching. Sue me

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Now the claws are out between Cruz and Trump, so the entertainment factor just went way up

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Trump getting booed, but I think its because he's talking business and its going over these rubes' heads

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:25 am

Return to “Social”