The Tech Thread

shnsajax
Superstar

The Tech Thread

Postby shnsajax » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:44 am

Or whatever its going to be called is being unveiled today. Anyone have any interest?

I kind of get the feeling this one is going to be more of a bust. I have no desire to have some thing like this on a contract with whatever company it goes to.

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Re: Apple Itablet

Postby C.C. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:53 am

Very interested. Been checking various sites on a daily basis for leaks.

I've heard that At&T and (I think) Verizon is going to be the service providers. If you need to pay extra for service to download books, movies, and music that's where this thing is going to fail. No one is going to pay for their Iphone and their Itablet. It should be a free service like Amazon's Kindle.

shnsajax
Superstar

Re: Apple Itablet

Postby shnsajax » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:57 am

C.C. wrote:Very interested. Been checking various sites on a daily basis for leaks.

I've heard that At&T and (I think) Verizon is going to be the service providers. If you need to pay extra for service to download books, movies, and music that's where this thing is going to fail. No one is going to pay for their Iphone and their Itablet. It should be a free service like Amazon's Kindle.

I think because of this its going to fail. I don't see it as a replacement to a laptop, and its not going to replace the iphone. Yet people will have to have another monthly subscription for it. other than that it looks like a very fun toy.

Still very curious to see it though, and they do have my attention.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Re: Apple iTablet

Postby stuy119 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:22 am

I'm in the "meh" category on this one. I don't like touchscreens (like the iPhone), and my MacBook Pro is solid - even moreso when combined with my BlackBerry.

So I'm good, but I do like the Nook.

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Postby C.C. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:35 am

stuy119 wrote:I'm in the "meh" category on this one. I don't like touchscreens (like the iPhone), and my MacBook Pro is solid - even moreso when combined with my BlackBerry.

So I'm good, but I do like the Nook.

I was torn between the Nook and Kindle, read all the reviews and the Kindle came out on top, and that's why I choose it. I couldn't be happier...

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:42 am

Really? I went with the nook because it seemed to offer so much more. The Kindle seems really limited, both in features and just in how many books and magazines/newspapers you can get with it. The nook lets me expand memory, I can share across all my devices, I can share with other people who have the nook...hell, I can put any file I can convert into a PDF on the nook and use all of its features on it and it'll save that across all of my devices if I want. It's partnered up with Google using their Android operating system and it's got more free books available than Amazon SELLS altogether for the Kindle. The nook's got over a million titles available already.

I'm also not sure how the iTablet is anything more than just a giant iPhone.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Postby C.C. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:57 am

Nuts&Gum wrote:Really? I went with the nook because it seemed to offer so much more. The Kindle seems really limited, both in features and just in how many books and magazines/newspapers you can get with it. The nook lets me expand memory, I can share across all my devices, I can share with other people who have the nook...hell, I can put any file I can convert into a PDF on the nook and use all of its features on it and it'll save that across all of my devices if I want. It's partnered up with Google using their Android operating system and it's got more free books available than Amazon SELLS altogether for the Kindle. The nook's got over a million titles available already.

I'm also not sure how the iTablet is anything more than just a giant iPhone.

Here's two reviews I read:

CNET

Conclusion
Is the Nook better than the Kindle? That's the question everybody wants answered, and the short response is yes--and no. In terms of core features, the Nook isn't any better. Both devices wirelessly deliver similar content to almost identical 6-inch e-ink screens. You can argue over which one is easier to use and which interface you like better, but both are fairly imperfect in their own ways (the Nook is just a little buggy at this point).

In its favor, the Kindle--or, at least, Amazon's service--is more battle-tested, its battery life is better, and it does offer text-to-speech audio and basic Web browsing. You also don't have to deal with some of the slow load times for books and the quirks of a first-generation device.

However, we do like the Nook's extra features, such as Wi-Fi, free lending capabilities, and in-store browsing, and we think those features--more than the color LCD--give the Nook a competitive advantage. As with any new platform, the Nook still has some kinks to work out and will require its fair share of tweaks and firmware upgrades to really shine. While it falls a little short of the Kindle at this time, it does have the potential to be its equal and perhaps even eventually surpass it.

Engadget

Code: Select all

In the end, the Nook is an intriguing product launched by a powerful force in the world of booksellers, but the initial offering feels long on promises and short on delivery. With the right software revisions, the Nook could be a tsunami, but as it stands right now, it's only a mild swell.

They both liked it, but the buggyness/slowness of it turned me off. I hate to buy first generation of new electronics and the Kindle just seemed more of a stable and tested product.

Is the Nook 3G?
Last edited by C.C. on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:00 am

The nice thing about the Nook is that it just seems to have a software issue (or three) that can easily be fixed.

And needs a different battery, but that it a fairly easy fix (and possibly a software issue as well).

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Postby C.C. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:03 am

stuy119 wrote:The nice thing about the Nook is that it just seems to have a software issue (or three) that can easily be fixed.

And needs a different battery, but that it a fairly easy fix (and possibly a software issue as well).

The bad thing is it's a first generation product. You have no idea what their support is going to be like. If future generations prove to pass the Kindle I'll gladly make the change.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:07 am

I guess. My issue is with what I can actually get to read on an eReader, and in looking for a dozen different random titles the nook had 10 of them while the Kindle had 4. It seems outside of major and new releases the Kindle's selection is relatively pretty skimpy. I read up on the battery issue before purchasing and it ultimately seems rather moot since either device uses such little battery power. Unless you're leaving it connected to WiFi all the time (and there's no reason one would), the nook has given me between 10 and 14 days worth of battery life after a full charge with regular daily reading. It's also a simple process to replace a nook battery if need be while the Kindle is kinda screwed if you have battery issues. Yes, the Kindle technically has more battery life, but it's not like we're talking devices here that need to be on all the time drainging power to perform critical tasks: reading things on them takes almost no battery power at all.

Honestly, I think you're reading way too much in the "bugginess" issue since neither of those reviews really go into them like they're a major problem. I guess if one is more focused on the tech aspect, yeah, the Kindle is technically ahead right based on stability since it's been around longer, but based on the actual primary purposes of an eReader the nook is already trouncing it. It's really not like one is going to encounter any major problems using the nook as an eReader.
Abbc3 Spoiler Show

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Postby C.C. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:24 am

I haven't had any problems with finding books I wanted on the Kindle, but if you had problems with that I can see why you choose the Nook. Either way, they both do what is intended. I'll certainly keep my options open when the Kindle 3 and Nook 2 arrive. Or Itablet for that matter, but I ain't spending $1000.00(ish) on it that's for sure...

hardcorecubfan
5-Time All-Star

Postby hardcorecubfan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:31 am

40 minute and counting!!! Come on steve knock our socks off.
I would agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Meathead

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:44 am

More looking forward to the (maybe) summer announcement of the new iPhone. To see how they react to other phones finally getting close to them.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:47 am

Where can we watch coverage of this?
Dare to dream....

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:49 am

UMFan83 wrote:Where can we watch coverage of this?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5457641/apple-tabl ... -were-here

My guess is CNBC will break away to cover it, since they've been hyping it.

OMG DISNEY CEO IGER IS IN ATTENDANCE!!!

What are you wearing Bob?
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

shnsajax
Superstar

Postby shnsajax » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:49 am

Brian wrote:More looking forward to the (maybe) summer announcement of the new iPhone. To see how they react to other phones finally getting close to them.

Actually I am more interested in this as well, as I am planning a switch from Sprint to Verizon.

C.C.
Hall of Fame

Postby C.C. » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 pm

It's here!

Looks like a flattened Iphone.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/live ... ion-event/

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:21 pm

I think I'll do like I did with the ipod and iphone, wait a couple years and get one.
Tim wrote:"Hawthorne Effect". Basically, people improve their behavior if they know they're being watched. I'm a competitive cur, so having friends that are also doing it drives me to want to "win" daily/weekly challenges and such.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:25 pm

I'm not really overwhelmed with this so far. It seems like an iPhone with a bigger screen. Maybe some of the apps are upgraded but it's nothing revolutionary. The web browser doesn't look like it supports flash...I mean seriously? I know Apple is known for having tight control over it's products, but if this "computer" can't run many webpages it's not that different than an iPhone IMO. Apple is marketing this as 50% laptop, 50% iPhone, but it seems more like 20% laptop, 80% iPhone.
Dare to dream....

Brian
Superstar

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:27 pm

yeah it's really slick looking, but really I have no need for it. I think only the big time Apple people will buy this.

Jon
Hall of Fame

Postby Jon » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:36 pm

It fills a need that wasn't there. If people actually buy it, kudos to Apple.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:42 pm

These are the type of products where we can see who:

1. Are Apple fans and will buy anything they produce.
2. Have excess disposable income.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:48 pm

stuy119 wrote:These are the type of products where we can see who:

1. Are Apple fans and will buy anything they produce.
2. Have excess disposable income.

Maybe buying it initially at full price. But that thing looks like a much better way to do things like watch movies on a plane, and I assume someday at least, watching games live outside your living room. I've been waiting for years for a better version of mobile phone live tv, having paid $5 a couple times to see the NFL draft while at a baseball game or doing something else. That's a better way to read the paper on the train in the morning, or read books. I think it could be pretty useful it a couple years.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:52 pm

This will revolutionize reading just like Apple TV revolutionized television.
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

jersey cubs fan
Hall of Fame

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:53 pm

http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2010/01/o ... blet-on-24

This reminds me of all the times people have freaked out about technology on 24 being so unrealistic, like when Jack found a cell phone on a woman and used it to figure out his coordinates.

Return to “Social”