The Tech Thread

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: The Tech Thread

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:28 am

Whelp, my phone finally died. Went and got a Galaxy S6 Edge + last night. So pretty!

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:39 am

Banedon wrote:Whelp, my phone finally died. Went and got a Galaxy S6 Edge + last night. So pretty!

Were you coming from another android device?

I am rocking the iPhone 4s still. Will probably upgrade at sinepoiny in the next few months and thinking about exploring android options.
ImageImage

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:28 am

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
Banedon wrote:Whelp, my phone finally died. Went and got a Galaxy S6 Edge + last night. So pretty!

Were you coming from another android device?

I am rocking the iPhone 4s still. Will probably upgrade at sinepoiny in the next few months and thinking about exploring android options.

Yes. I had a Nexus 5 previously. Which was nice because it was stock android. I went through AT&T for this, and so it's preloaded with stuffs that I don't love, but I'll get over it.

tfarks
All-Star

Postby tfarks » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:33 am

Thankfully it's as easy as ever to disable bloatware from your phone without rooting, even without an app.

You can also remove it outright without rooting if you choose to go the extra mile - http://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-remove-bloatware-from-your-android-device-xda-tv/
A student of philosophy, eager to display his powers of argument, approached Diogenes, introduced himself and said, "If it pleases you, sir, let me prove to you that there is no such thing as motion." Whereupon Diogenes immediately got up and left.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:49 am

tfarks wrote:Thankfully it's as easy as ever to disable bloatware from your phone without rooting, even without an app.

You can also remove it outright without rooting if you choose to go the extra mile - http://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-remove-bloatware-from-your-android-device-xda-tv/

Requirements:

Developer Options turned on with ADB or USB debugging enabled
Manufacturer Drivers installed
KitKat – No Root Needed
Lollipop, Jelly Bean and below require root access

Lollipop requires root.

Will check out the video tonight when I get home from work anyway though.

PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:03 pm

Not sure if anyone would be able to help or not, but for the past few weeks, my internet seems to go out/get really slow a couple of times a day. If I go and turn off and back on the power strip that has my modem and wireless router on it, it will usually start working again. I think it is the resetting of the modem rather than the router. I bought both a little over 4 years ago. The modem is a Motorola Surfboard with DOCSIS 3.0, but there is a newer version of it. I guess my question is does this sound more like a problem with the equipment on my end, or could it be a problem with the internet coming to my house. From what I typed, it sounds like it would be a modem problem, but the problem happens at similar times of day--like every night around 9:30 or so and every afternoon around 1pm or so. Do modems start going bad in that they work completely fine and then all of a sudden need to be reset?

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:04 pm

4 years old is REALLY old in internet years. I was having similar problems with just a 2 year old router, and upgrading it to a current model was a huge improvement in connectivity and speed

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:39 am

I've always wondered if Comcast doesn't have certain times they slow down traffic in certain areas, since I've had similar issues pop up.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:04 pm

stuy119 wrote:I've always wondered if Comcast doesn't have certain times they slow down traffic in certain areas, since I've had similar issues pop up.

Comcast is indeed notorious for throttling speeds.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:51 pm

What has always seemed strange is the timing - why would they throttle at 1pm or so? I can understand evening, but during the day?

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:24 am

stuy119 wrote:What has always seemed strange is the timing - why would they throttle at 1pm or so? I can understand evening, but during the day?

it depends, throttling will happen for a few reasons. if they detect p2p or torrent-like traffic, that's an obvious one. if you've hit whatever arbitrary time-based usage limit they've set, that's another. you may also experience throttling based on the traffic of those you share a node with (i'm using node in a very generic way here). if they wan't to make bandwidth available to others (who pay more) during high local demand, they'll scale you back to accommodate.

in the end, you can only dump so many 0's and 1's in the tube at a time, y'know. and if you're using lots of 0's, those take up more space
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:31 pm

Hey folks. I need some new earbuds as my apple ones have predictably bit the dust once more. Anyone have good recommendations in the 30-50 dollar range?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:00 am

ctcf wrote:Hey folks. I need some new earbuds as my apple ones have predictably bit the dust once more. Anyone have good recommendations in the 30-50 dollar range?

I hate earbuds, personally...

Love these though....huge battery life.... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0GRRR4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:51 pm

My G3 bricked itself over the weekend, I'm thinking of buying a Nexus 6P.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:21 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:Nexus 6P.

i'm fairly confident this is my next phone
:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:52 pm

seanimal wrote:

I've wanted to get a nexus for a while, and this really seems to check all of the boxes.

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:47 pm

does anyone use Google's Project Fi phone service? I've thought about giving it a shot but seems like it gets mixed reviews.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:08 am

Proven Veteran wrote:
seanimal wrote:

I've wanted to get a nexus for a while, and this really seems to check all of the boxes.

i've always liked the idea of the nexus, but this seems to be the first time that it really seems to be the best android out there

doublebubble
Starter

Postby doublebubble » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:28 am

I had the Sony Xperia z3 and it was awesome. Someone stole it from me and T-mobile refused to send me another even though I had insurance. Anyway, Anyone know why Sony Xperia Z5 isnt getting picked up by retailers? That phone is suppose to be fantastic as well.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:56 am

My 4K TV is here, and it is glorious! Vizio's upscaling engine does a mighty fine job.

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:30 pm

has someone bought a decent wireless router lately? it's time to finally give up on this one i've had forever. do i have to spend $100 to get a decent one?

Stannis
RIP Sulley

Postby Stannis » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
seanimal wrote:

Yeah, i was thinking about making the jump as well.
"Glowing like sunset, a red sword was raised in the hand of a blue-eyed king who cast no shadow."

yanrslatr
fka mariners revenge

Postby yanrslatr » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:36 pm

replaced my 5-year-old laptop with a lenovo yoga 900 this xmas. so far, it's awesome

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:48 am

Any iTunes experts out there? Is it possible to buy a movie from the iTunes store on my phone and not download it? They have Django Unchained for $4.99 today in HD. I'd like to buy it but don't watch the movies on my phone. In any event my phone doesn't even have the memory space to download the HD movie file. It's an old hand me down. I tried to buy it thinking it would just tell me no space available but still have the purchase go through and I could download it later with another device.
BTFU!

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 pm

Smack wrote:Any iTunes experts out there? Is it possible to buy a movie from the iTunes store on my phone and not download it? They have Django Unchained for $4.99 today in HD. I'd like to buy it but don't watch the movies on my phone. In any event my phone doesn't even have the memory space to download the HD movie file. It's an old hand me down. I tried to buy it thinking it would just tell me no space available but still have the purchase go through and I could download it later with another device.

yeah, you can purchase on one and watch on the other

Return to “Social”