The Tech Thread

Banedon
Curse You!

Re: The Tech Thread

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:05 pm

http://gizmodo.com/lgs-new-oled-tvs-are ... 1751109705

LG’s new OLED 4K TVs are just a tenth of an inch thick. (They’re 2.57-millimeters thick, to be exact.)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Banedon wrote:http://gizmodo.com/lgs-new-oled-tvs-are-just-four-credit-cards-thick-1751109705

LG’s new OLED 4K TVs are just a tenth of an inch thick. (They’re 2.57-millimeters thick, to be exact.)

They're pretty sick, but the cost is still really high. A 65" LG OLED is around $7000 right now

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:08 pm

Derwood wrote:
Banedon wrote:http://gizmodo.com/lgs-new-oled-tvs-are-just-four-credit-cards-thick-1751109705

They're pretty sick, but the cost is still really high. A 65" LG OLED is around $7000 right now

Well of course, but history shows that prices fall on this stuff pretty quickly.

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:19 pm

seanimal wrote:
Smack wrote:Any iTunes experts out there? Is it possible to buy a movie from the iTunes store on my phone and not download it? They have Django Unchained for $4.99 today in HD. I'd like to buy it but don't watch the movies on my phone. In any event my phone doesn't even have the memory space to download the HD movie file. It's an old hand me down. I tried to buy it thinking it would just tell me no space available but still have the purchase go through and I could download it later with another device.

yeah, you can purchase on one and watch on the other

I know I can do that, it won't let me purchase on my phone though unless I download it when I purchase it. I physically can't download it to my phone. I guess that means I can't buy it with my phone.
BTFU!

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 pm

Smack wrote:
seanimal wrote:
Smack wrote:Any iTunes experts out there? Is it possible to buy a movie from the iTunes store on my phone and not download it? They have Django Unchained for $4.99 today in HD. I'd like to buy it but don't watch the movies on my phone. In any event my phone doesn't even have the memory space to download the HD movie file. It's an old hand me down. I tried to buy it thinking it would just tell me no space available but still have the purchase go through and I could download it later with another device.

I know I can do that, it won't let me purchase on my phone though unless I download it when I purchase it. I physically can't download it to my phone. I guess that means I can't buy it with my phone.

You should not have to download it on your phone.

Smack
5-Time All-Star

Postby Smack » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:44 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Smack wrote:
seanimal wrote:

You should not have to download it on your phone.

I just tried it again and it worked, heh. Wouldn't work the first three times, weird.
BTFU!

Thurman Merman
Role Player

Postby Thurman Merman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:57 pm

Banedon wrote:
Derwood wrote:

Well of course, but history shows that prices fall on this stuff pretty quickly.

Ive been wanting an OLED TV for about 2 years now, and I told myself that as soon as one fell below $2000 I was going to get it. Well fast forward to this November and you could get one for $1800, but I had just spent all my money on a kitchen remodel and couldnt afford it. I was (and still am) a sad panda, especially since my current HD tv (2007 model) is nearing the end of its life.

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:25 pm

Stannis wrote:
Proven Veteran wrote:
seanimal wrote:
Proven Veteran wrote:Nexus 6P.

i'm fairly confident this is my next phone

I've wanted to get a nexus for a while, and this really seems to check all of the boxes.

Yeah, i was thinking about making the jump as well.

I got the 6P, love it so far. Best part was unchecking the boxes for all of the verizon software when I restored my backup.

stuy119
5-Time All-Star

Postby stuy119 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:06 am

I don't understand the obsessions with making devices thinner. Apple, IMO, is obsessed w/ making the iPhone thinner every iteration, and it's gotten to the point of ridiculousness. That TV is crazy thin, but the furniture (or wall mount) isn't going to make that much of a difference in people's lives.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:10 am

stuy119 wrote:I don't understand the obsessions with making devices thinner. Apple, IMO, is obsessed w/ making the iPhone thinner every iteration, and it's gotten to the point of ridiculousness. That TV is crazy thin, but the furniture (or wall mount) isn't going to make that much of a difference in people's lives.

Yeah, we're not exactly talking huge differences here. Until it gets to the point that it's basically some kind of projection, the TV still has to be mounted or on a stand, so, yay? Plus it seems like some companies, Apple especially, are sacrificing quality and performance to desperately cram everything into a smaller space. I'd have to think having a bit more room for, say, a better battery or power system or insulation would sure come in [expletive] handy for portable devices in the cold weather.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:13 am

Aww hell yeah...gonna git me some gigabit, bitches...

http://www.wjbc.com/2016/01/05/gigabit- ... on-normal/

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:19 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
stuy119 wrote:I don't understand the obsessions with making devices thinner. Apple, IMO, is obsessed w/ making the iPhone thinner every iteration, and it's gotten to the point of ridiculousness. That TV is crazy thin, but the furniture (or wall mount) isn't going to make that much of a difference in people's lives.

Yeah, we're not exactly talking huge differences here. Until it gets to the point that it's basically some kind of projection, the TV still has to be mounted or on a stand, so, yay? Plus it seems like some companies, Apple especially, are sacrificing quality and performance to desperately cram everything into a smaller space. I'd have to think having a bit more room for, say, a better battery or power system or insulation would sure come in [expletive] handy for portable devices in the cold weather.

I understand it more for TVs than phones. You do still need to set the TV on something or mount it, but lighter and thinner TVs fit in more room configurations, the mounts need to be lest robust and become cheaper(or more accessible to people who can't drill holes in their walls), plus moving them becomes easier. With phones I understand you can get more screen space with a thinner phone and still comfortably hold it, but you're also making this thing you handle all the time more breakable, and have to make battery life sacrifices to do so.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:18 pm

I don't even like how thin the iPhone 6 is. I put a beefy case on it to make it feel "normal"

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:22 pm

But with TVs the weight difference is significant. For example, a high end 65" LG 4K LED weighs 70 lbs, while the 65" LG OLED 4K weighs just 48 lbs. when you're mounting it, that's an enormous difference. The OLED has a special bracket that is extremely low profile as well

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:22 pm

i honestly hate how big phones have gotten. ive got an iphone 5c and i really dont want to ever upgrade just because i dont want anything gigantic like that. i find it uncomfortable to hold and carry around in my pocket

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:27 pm

Butterscup wrote:i honestly hate how big phones have gotten. ive got an iphone 5c and i really dont want to ever upgrade just because i dont want anything gigantic like that. i find it uncomfortable to hold and carry around in my pocket

Yeah, that seems like it's equal parts fallout from trying to make them so damn thin and trying to placate people who want their tablet to be a [expletive] phone. Ugh.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:39 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Butterscup wrote:i honestly hate how big phones have gotten. ive got an iphone 5c and i really dont want to ever upgrade just because i dont want anything gigantic like that. i find it uncomfortable to hold and carry around in my pocket

Yeah, that seems like it's equal parts fallout from trying to make them so damn thin and trying to placate people who want their tablet to be a [expletive] phone. Ugh.

the iPhone 6+ is comically large.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:39 pm

The Galaxy S6 is about as large as I'd want a phone to be. It's definitely big enough that I understand why not all would want it.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:14 am

I have a 6+ and I can't imagine using a smaller phone ever again.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

philosophizer75
Starter

Postby philosophizer75 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:43 am

I went from an iPhone 4s to a Samsung galaxy s5 active as my last switch. After using the new one for a week I grabbed some pictures off the old one and couldn't believe I had found the 4s' screen to be big enough when I was using it. It honestly made me laugh how small it felt compared to my new s5.
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:31 am

Andy wrote:The Galaxy S6 is about as large as I'd want a phone to be. It's definitely big enough that I understand why not all would want it.

I have an S6 Edge+ and I love it.

wekse
5-Time All-Star

Postby wekse » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:39 am

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:I have a 6+ and I can't imagine using a smaller phone ever again.

THIS... I too once lamented the size of the newer phones, but I made the switch to a 6+ a few weeks back and I love it.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 am

I recently bumped up to galaxy s6 from iPhone 4s. Picking up the old iPhone feels comical now but at the same time the + doesn't appeal to me. I can.still handle this as a one hand phone and I can't see that at all with anything bigger.
ImageImage

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:44 am

This is going to make cargo shorts come back, you monsters.

David
Hall of Fame

Postby David » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:55 am

down with phablets

anyway, i got an echo as a christmas gift from work. anything cool i can do with this thing other than ask it what the weather is and play music?

Return to “Social”