The Tech Thread

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: The Tech Thread

Postby Derwood » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:09 am

I misspoke earlier about the new LG OLED. It's not going to be 1/4" thick, it's going to be 1/10" thick

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:15 am

GIMME THAT WHEAT.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:41 am

David wrote:anyway, i got an echo as a christmas gift from work. anything cool i can do with this thing other than ask it what the weather is and play music?

my aunt got me one for christmas. and i'm wondering the same thing. yesterday i told alexa good morning and good night and that was it.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:48 am

weis21 wrote:
David wrote:anyway, i got an echo as a christmas gift from work. anything cool i can do with this thing other than ask it what the weather is and play music?

my aunt got me one for christmas. and i'm wondering the same thing. yesterday i told alexa good morning and good night and that was it.

I wondered about that a while back so I did some digging. I didn't really find anything more than it will not control your thermostat, but if you pay a bunch of money for specific light dimmers and power outlets, it can control them. Even I'm not that lazy.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:14 pm

So I had bought a wall mount for my 32" Samsung HDTV at Target, but the screws they supplied were not large enough to fit the mounting holes on the back of my TV, so I took it back and tried ot get another one, but they did not have another that fit my size, so I had to g oto Best Buy to see their selection.

Instead of walking out with a wall mount for a 32" TV I walked out with a wall mount for a 50" TV and a Sharp Aquos 50" UHD 4K TV. I initially saw a Samsung 40" 4K for $650 and was blown awayby the price. Then I saw a 43" Sharp 4K for $499 and was blown away by that price. Then I saw the 50" for only $599 and thought that was too good to be true, so I picked that one up.

It's quite beautiful, though one of the complaints I read I'm starting to see why. It has started updating firmware twice in the last hour. I suspect it's kind of like not ignoring all those Windows updates and when you finally decide to update you have to do like several of them before it finally gets caught up to itself. Other than that, it's a gorgeous image.

Unfortunately I can't play games in 4K on it because apparently my graphics card can't handle it on my computer, even though it was built with 4K output in mind. Fallout 4 lags heavily, and there's a substantial lag in mouse movement as well. Videos work fine though and look amazing, and that's mostly what I got it for. Will make an amazing reference monitor for editing too!

Overall I'm very pleased!

Spoiler: show

I also just lowered it to be just above my laptop display. I underestimated the height of the mount when I put it up in that photo.
"I don't think this team improves by trading Scott Feldman," Samardzija said.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:24 pm

We got a 50" HDTV as part of a furniture bundle at ABC Warehouse on Black Friday 2014, but all this 4K talk is making me antsy to upgrade. Will probably end up doing it this year sometime if finances allow.

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:48 pm

Damn it I really jumped the gun buying a new TV when we bought a house this sunmer. That's non-4k pricing 6 months ago. #-o
ImageImage

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:14 pm

I remember three years go when our store got the first 55" Sony 4K and it was like $5000

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:45 pm

Im always tempted by the 4Ks, but then I just assume that what I'm seeing is some demo reel and not like what actual movies will look like on it. What do blurays and sports look like on a 4k? Is there really a hugely noticeable difference?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:57 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:Im always tempted by the 4Ks, but then I just assume that what I'm seeing is some demo reel and not like what actual movies will look like on it. What do blurays and sports look like on a 4k? Is there really a hugely noticeable difference?

Most do the same sort of upscaling that Blu-Ray players do for DVD's. So not pure 4k, but better than 1080

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:16 pm

Derwood wrote:
Bunts Lick Butts wrote:Im always tempted by the 4Ks, but then I just assume that what I'm seeing is some demo reel and not like what actual movies will look like on it. What do blurays and sports look like on a 4k? Is there really a hugely noticeable difference?

Most do the same sort of upscaling that Blu-Ray players do for DVD's. So not pure 4k, but better than 1080

Yeah, the upscaling is what made me take the leap with a Samsung 55'' from Costco; the TV combined with a PS4 really makes SD DVD's look fantastic.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Just know that everything is better. I've watched the fireplace video on Netflix more than once.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:57 pm

One of the positives on the TV I got was the upscaling is really good, according to reviews. Though that's mostly for dvd/blu-ray, cable, and streaming content, and I download my movies so I don't know that it upscales files. Either way, a 720p image still looks really good so I'm not complaining.

CubinNY
Superstar

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:14 pm

Our family room TV took a [expletive] about 2 months ago and I sprung for a 65 inch Samsung 4K and I honestly cannot tell a difference between our last TV and this one.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:59 pm

CubinNY wrote:

Our family room TV took a [expletive] about 2 months ago and I sprung for a 65 inch Samsung 4K and I honestly cannot tell a difference between our last TV and this one.

Yeah I got either a 50" or 55" Samsung 4K in the summer and my parents have a 5-6 years old LCD at their house and going there and visiting I really can't tell any difference except for maybe a slightly better/noticeable frame/refresh rate.
Screw Pitchers

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

Yeah I got either a 50" or 55" Samsung 4K in the summer and my parents have a 5-6 years old LCD at their house and going there and visiting I really can't tell any difference except for maybe a slightly better/noticeable frame/refresh rate.

Interesting feedback. There was an article on Awful Announcing a month or so ago that said DirecTV was going to start broadcasting some sporting events in 4K this year. Would be interested to know details on that.

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Andy wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:

Interesting feedback. There was an article on Awful Announcing a month or so ago that said DirecTV was going to start broadcasting some sporting events in 4K this year. Would be interested to know details on that.

Yeah, I mean with where prices are for them right now I'd say absolutely get one if you are in the market especially for when (hopefully sooner than later) providers start broadcasting games in it and I'm sure to some with a keener tech eye than me they can see differences/advantages.
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:07 pm

Guess it all depends on the TV you upgrade from; watching on the new 4k still wows me. Makes my previous Vizio TV look like a POS.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:23 pm

HFS, I just started watching Mad Max: Fury Road on my 4K, and it is GD beautiful! I pulled it up on my previous TV, and I can't believe the difference.

BigbadB
Hall of Fame

Postby BigbadB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:03 pm

Just got a great deal on a 70" Vizio 4k, but unfortunately I had to replace it. It won't connect with my router, so waiting for the replacement tv to show up on Monday. I am connected at the moment with a Roku, but I'm not overly impressed with that connection, and I'm guessing it's limitations with the streaming stick rather than the tv, since the HD cable is pretty amazing.

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:07 pm

I just received my NAS and 3TB hard drive in the mail form Amazon. After years of wanting to do this I'm finally transferring all my downloaded movies and content over to a server I can access from anywhere in the house (or on the go via cloud streaming). Been a long time coming. I got the QNAP TS-251. It already has media servers built in and has an HDMI to connect directly to a TV so it's built for it. I'm excited!

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:38 pm

The Logan wrote:I just received my NAS and 3TB hard drive in the mail form Amazon. After years of wanting to do this I'm finally transferring all my downloaded movies and content over to a server I can access from anywhere in the house (or on the go via cloud streaming). Been a long time coming. I got the QNAP TS-251. It already has media servers built in and has an HDMI to connect directly to a TV so it's built for it. I'm excited!

Very cool. I've been using Plex and have tossed around the idea of a NAS...haven't been able to justify buying one yet though.

Return to “Social”