The Tech Thread

WrigleyField 22
5-Time All-Star

Re: The Tech Thread

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Driver was totally up to date. I actually tried to roll back my driver and that fixed the right click but not scrolling multi-touch.

Came across several suggestions online but haven't had a chance to try yet. One review said Asus help told them to go back to Windows 8 (lol)
ImageImage

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:43 am

So I took my 4.5 year old MBP and finally upgraded it with a solid state drive. Holy [expletive], between that and installing El Capitan, it's like having a brand new machine for just $89.

Liam Neeson
Role Player

Postby Liam Neeson » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:57 am

Bob Sanders wrote:So I took my 4.5 year old MBP and finally upgraded it with a solid state drive. Holy [expletive], between that and installing El Capitan, it's like having a brand new machine for just $89.

SSDs are honestly one of those quality of life things that you can install for relatives that they will think you are a magician for allowing Windows to boot so fast. Hardest part is explaining not to save stuff to it / mapping files to the HDD. Another QOL item is Adblock and speaking of which

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/10/02/t ... m=referral

I've been using Ublock Origin and haven't encountered any issues with it if you plan on making a switch.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:32 am

Bob Sanders wrote:So I took my 4.5 year old MBP and finally upgraded it with a solid state drive. Holy [expletive], between that and installing El Capitan, it's like having a brand new machine for just $89.

Did El Capitan take forever to install? Because it's taking forever to install

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:36 am

Derwood wrote:

Did El Capitan take forever to install? Because it's taking forever to install

I have no idea. I kicked off the download shortly before I went to bed, and it was all ready for me when I got up.

Wilson A2000
5-Time All-Star

Postby Wilson A2000 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:10 pm

Derwood wrote:Did El Capitan take forever to install? Because it's taking forever to install

Yep. I have an older Macbook Pro. Downloaded in 30 minutes or so, but took 3 hours to install. Started out saying "30 minutes to install," but that didn't hold up.
Last edited by Wilson A2000 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:37 pm

So far, I'm finding it slower, not faster. Every time I open an application, I get the spinning beach ball for several seconds.

That said, I really need to up my RAM and I'd like to convert to an SSD

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Derwood wrote:So far, I'm finding it slower, not faster. Every time I open an application, I get the spinning beach ball for several seconds.

I'm thinking about buying a few more SSDs for the various laptops and [expletive] around here. Do it now.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:27 pm

Bob Sanders wrote:
Derwood wrote:So far, I'm finding it slower, not faster. Every time I open an application, I get the spinning beach ball for several seconds.

I'm thinking about buying a few more SSDs for the various laptops and [expletive] around here. Do it now.

Is it an easy operation swapping a HDD for a SSD, or should I have someone else do it?

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Derwood wrote:
Bob Sanders wrote:

Is it an easy operation swapping a HDD for a SSD, or should I have someone else do it?

It is easy as hell. I had my son do it as a learning exercise, and it took him about 15 minutes to physically swap them. It took roughly 3 hours to image the drive first.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:54 pm

That is assuming, of course, that you have the proper tools. But you can get a precision bit set on Amazon for like $10 and the sata to usb cables cost about that too.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Does anyone here have An Amazon Echo, or one of the similar devices on the market? I am intrigued.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:25 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Does anyone here have An Amazon Echo, or one of the similar devices on the market? I am intrigued.

I don't own one, but have been around one and know a few people who do own an Echo. They like it a good bit as a companion when they're milling about the house, especially if you spend a decent amount of time in the kitchen. It doesn't become a focal point of your life, but it's a fun toy that lives up to expectations.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:27 pm

So it really just is a "smarter" Siri/speaker? Or did they have set up for lights and alarms and whatnot?

Not that the former is a bad thing for the price; I'm just kinda fuzzy on what it can do.

Transmogrified Tiger
Hall of Fame

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:So it really just is a "smarter" Siri/speaker? Or did they have set up for lights and alarms and whatnot?

Not that the former is a bad thing for the price; I'm just kinda fuzzy on what it can do.

I don't know if the people I know have really set up much for lights and stuff like that because that requires connected lights/fixtures. If you have that you can control your connected appliances though. If you don't, then a smarter Siri is probably a good description. You can set timers/alarms, add to lists, ask for reminders, etc, in addition to getting news/weather/information from the web and play music.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:35 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:So it really just is a "smarter" Siri/speaker? Or did they have set up for lights and alarms and whatnot?

I don't know if the people I know have really set up much for lights and stuff like that because that requires connected lights/fixtures. If you have that you can control your connected appliances though. If you don't, then a smarter Siri is probably a good description. You can set timers/alarms, add to lists, ask for reminders, etc, in addition to getting news/weather/information from the web and play music.

Seems pretty cool; if they have a sale or something I'll probably jump on one.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

yeah i was going to get one on amazon prime day but they sold out in like 20 seconds and i actually had to work and junk instead of hovering over a computer

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:48 pm

just kidding. i probably had plenty of opportunity but i simply forgot.

Bunts Lick Butts
Turdologist

Postby Bunts Lick Butts » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:18 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:

it's not that kind of robot, david
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 2412: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/posting.php:1)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:43 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

You're one of those damn dirty robot sex deniers, aren't you?

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:37 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Does anyone here have An Amazon Echo, or one of the similar devices on the market? I am intrigued.

A buddy of mine has one and he's pretty "meh" about it. As I recall he said it'll pick up ambient noise, like the tv sometimes, and do something funky. I think I"ll wait for a later generation, when some kinks have been worked out, but I'm also intrigued by it.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:13 am

Banedon wrote:

A buddy of mine has one and he's pretty "meh" about it. As I recall he said it'll pick up ambient noise, like the tv sometimes, and do something funky. I think I"ll wait for a later generation, when some kinks have been worked out, but I'm also intrigued by it.

Well, the reviews and demos all say you need to say the right word to start it and stop it and ask it anything (which is "Alexa," and can't be changed), so I'm wondering if he's just leaving it on.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Well, the reviews and demos all say you need to say the right word to start it and stop it and ask it anything (which is "Alexa," and can't be changed), so I'm wondering if he's just leaving it on.

Could be...I didn't know enough about it to get into a more in-depth conversation about it.

seanimal
stats enthousiast

Postby seanimal » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:47 am

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

:stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman: :stickman:

ctcf
Hall of Fame

Postby ctcf » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Hey folks. So my computer up and died a couple days ago. Been outta the market for a while and would really appreciate some help finding a new one. Looking for a gaming focused one that would last me a while in the 1500-2000 range.

Return to “Social”